Regina Sports & Outdoors

The teams go at it in Mosaic Stadium
    Sold out with Rider 'green' fans
    by Bwana_Brown
  • Luckily, the rain squall passed by earlier
    Luckily, the rain squall passed by...

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Regina

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Take in a Canadian Football League game

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 20, 2008

The teams go at it in Mosaic Stadium

I have only been to a handful of professional baseball and ice hockey games in my life but no football games at all. That came to an end on a recent Saturday night when I received a short-notice telephone call inviting me to attend a Canadian Football League game that was to be played in Regina, starting in less than an hour! The company I work for had tickets for several games to keep its clients amused and one of the tickets would be going to waste if I chose not to attend.

It did not take me long to get organized and arrive at the 28,800-capacity Mosaic Stadium, shown here and built in 1927 for the local team - the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Their opponents on this evening were the Montreal Alouettes but all the cheering in the stands by the locals wearing their 'Rider Green' outfits was for the Roughriders (2nd photo).

Earlier in the day, I had BBQed some steaks on my deck while a brief thunder and lightning storm passed over the city, but luckily it continued on its way eastward by the time the game was underway (3rd photo). I really enjoyed the fresh 17 C outdoor atmosphere while watching the live action.

The CFL was officially formed in 1958, but can trace its roots back to rugby teams dating from the 1860s. The Saskatchewan Roughriders have played in the CFL since its beginning and have won the Grey Cup trophy three times - the most recent being the previous season when they defeated their arch-rivals, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. As it happened, I had returned from a job in Brandon, Manitoba only the day before and took a photo of the triumphant sign celebrating the Roughriders as we left Manitoba (4th photo). On this evening, the Alouettes gave the Roughriders a good run for their money but came up on the short-end of a 41-33 score in an exciting game! Tickets cost about $42 and beers are $5 each.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Saskatchewan Roughriders -Canadian Football League

by Jefie Written May 6, 2005

I wasn't lucky enough to be in Regina during the football season but apparently the city goes pretty crazy when the Roughriders are playing so I highly recommend getting tickets to a game if you can (from June to November), especially if they're playing against my Montreal Alouettes ;o)

Equipment: ehm, thundersticks?!

• vtveen's Profile Photo

‘Hop on – hop off’ during a bike tour

by vtveen Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Regina: ready for our biking trip

Although not very common in Canada, we made a bike tour through the city of Regina during our last autumn visit. To be honest it was a great adventure cycling along the meandering Wascana River and around a part of Wascana Lake.

You could use ‘your’ bike on a hop-on hop-off bike tour trough the city:
    Start at the Government House (Dewdney Avenue) > RCMP Heritage Centre > access to the bike path along the Wascana River to Wascana Lake > Saskatchewan War Memorial > Legislative Building > Royal Saskatchewan Museum > MacKenzie Art Gallery.

This bike trip will take about 1 till 1 1/2 hours.

Equipment: We could borrow our bikes from relatives, but as far as I know it is possible to rent bikes in Regina: www.blocksbikes.com

It's not the law in Regina to wear a bicycle helmet but it could prevent injury or even save your life.

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Regina

Comments

Regina Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Regina sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Regina sightseeing.