Fun things to do in Canada

Chateau Frontenac
    by kemisteryoso

Most Viewed Things to Do in Canada

Toronto

by solopes Updated Jun 18, 2014

I felt sorry for the quick passage in Toronto planned in our package.

We only spent there a couple of foggy hours, around a reasonable lunch. Not enough, to appreciate a city where I would like to return.

Toronto - Canada Toronto - Canada

Niagara Falls

by solopes Updated Dec 31, 2013

I think that Niagara Falls are the main highlight attracting people to Canada, and we were no exception.

I've been there twice, always impressed by the nature's strength, and the commercial hard use of it.

Niagara Falls - Canada Niagara Falls - Canada Niagara Falls - Canada Niagara Falls - Canada
    • Eco-Tourism

Montreal

by solopes Updated Dec 14, 2013

Montreal left me the sensation that it could be the north American place where I could easily live.

Used to the small centralized cities in Portugal, with life converging to some clearly identified areas, the wide and open streets in America give me a sensation of distance and emptiness. I can't find a soul. in many American cities, though I know that it is there.

I didn't have that sensation in Montreal, and, despite the brief visit, I think that I could "live" that town.

Montreal - Canada Montreal - Canada
    • Archeology

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Canadian Museum of Civilization - Ottawa/Gatineau

by kenHuocj Updated Oct 3, 2013

The Museum is on the northern shore of the Outaouais River in Quebec immediately opposite the Parliamentary Buildings / Library, West of the Alexander Bridge of ramp.
    Faces Major Hill and the Top of the National Art Gallery.

The Architect of the Museum is Douglas Cardinal, a beautifully designed complex for visitors and staff. more information from the Civilisation Website or do a full Virtual tour of the Museum before you visit

Membership to this museum allows you entry to the Civlisation and War Museum at Le Breton and vis versa.

• Museum Visits

The Sparks Street Mall

by traveldave Updated Jun 20, 2013

The Sparks Street Mall was created in 1966, making it the first permanent pedestrian mall in North America. Sparks Street is a major east-west street one block south of Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa. The stretch of the street that comprises the pedestrian mall runs between Elgin Street to the east and Kent Street to the west.

The mall is adorned with sculptures and other works or art, rock gardens, fountains, and trees. During the summer months, two outdoor cafes provide a relaxing place to get a snack or drink and to people-watch. Each summer, it hosts the Sparks Street International Chicken & Rib Cook-Off in late June and the Ottawa International Busker Festival in August.

Unfortunately, many of the shops that formerly lined the pedestrian mall have gone out of business, and the spaces have been taken up by government offices and agencies. The reasons for the decline in shopping activity along the mall include difficult access and competition from the nearby Rideau Centre shopping mall and the By Ward Market.

The CN Tower's Glass Floor

by traveldave Updated Jun 18, 2013

Opened in 1994, the CN Tower's glass floor has become a popular attraction for those who do not have a fear of heights. Anyone brave enough to stand on the glass floor has a view 1,122 feet (342 meters) straight down.

The glass floor is comprised of 256 square feet (24 square meters) of glass panels each with a dimension of 42 inches by 50 inches (107 by 127 centimeters). The panels are almost three inches (eight centimeters) thick and contain four layers which include a three-sixteenth-inch (half-centimeter) scuff plate that is replaced every year, two half-inch (one-centimeter) layers of clear tempered glass laminated together, a one-inch (three-centimeter) layer of air for insulation, and a second layer of two half-inch (one-centimeter) layers of clear tempered glass laminated together. Altogether, the glass floor was designed to be five time stronger than the required weight-bearing standards for commercial floors and can withstand forces of 85,000 pounds per square inch (5,978 kilograms per square centimeter). It is said that the glass is strong enough to hold 14 hippopotamuses.

The Centennial Flame

by traveldave Updated Jun 18, 2013

The Centennial Flame is located on Parliament Hill, in front of the Centre Block. It was first lit by then-Prime Minister Lester Pearson on New Year's Eve in 1966 to mark 100 years of the Canadian Confederation. Intended to be a temporary monument, it was spared from demolition by strong public support.

The flame is fuelled by natural gas. Contrary to popular belief, this is not an eternal flame. It has been turned off due to severe weather, and even during large-scale protests that occurred in front of the Centre Block. The flame is part of a fountain whose ledge is ringed by metal coats-of-arms for 12 of the Canadian provinces and territories. (There is no shield for Nunavut, as the new province was created in 1999). Because the flame is located just above the fountain's flowing water, the fountain never freezes, even in the coldest of temperatures.

Many visitors throw coins into the fountain for luck. A one-year's accumulation of money is collected and awarded to the winner of the annual Centennial Flame Research Award. Begun in 2005, this award is given "to a person with a disability to enable him or her to conduct research and prepare a report on the contributions of one or more Canadians with disabilities to the public life of Canada or the activities of Parliament."

The Olympic Village

by traveldave Updated Jun 18, 2013

Located just northeast of the Olympic Stadium, the former Olympic Village was built in just one year to house the athletes and team officials during the 1976 Olympic Summer Games. It contains 980 individual apartments that housed a total of 11,000 athletes and team officials.

All these years later the complex is still one of the most distinctive architectural achievements in Montreal. Designed by architect René Lépine of the Montreal-based architectural firm of Groupe Lépine, it consists of two 23-story buildings, each made up of two half-pyramids.

Following the Olympic Games, the Olympic village was converted to rental units. Now called simply The Village, these luxury condominiums are among the most coveted living spaces in Montreal.

Quebec

by solopes Written Feb 19, 2013

I really enjoyed all the day spent in Canada, from the well planned and organized Montreal to the rustic life of Magueline's ranch, but if I had to choose my favorite town, it would be... Quebec. Lots of history and personality, lively streets, harmonic views, Quebec still reminds us its french origin and cultural references.

Quebec - Canada Quebec - Canada Quebec - Canada Quebec - Canada Quebec - Canada

Victoria Park

by Africancrab Written Aug 15, 2012

We made a quick stop at Victoria Park on our way home after the mall. My sister told me this was one of the outdoor places she and her son go to often. She thinks it is Kitchener's most famous outdoor park and conveniently located in the heart of downtown Kitchener. From where I stood, it looked pretty large, I found myself thinking of the many ways I would take advantage of it if I lived in Kitchener. Locals no doubt use it for recreation, events and festivities. Because the Grand river is near Kitchener, the trails at Victoria Park border the shores of the river.

The city manages all the trails, they are well maintained. Great place for family with children, taking a stroll with a loved one or alone, picnicking, riding and more.

• Hiking and Walking

Niagara Falls

by Africancrab Written Aug 10, 2012

An outstanding force of nature, the falls is. The giant wall of water falling, the deafening sound of the water, and white mist rising creating a white blanket of rain. The sheer force of the water is mind boggling. I took my babies for an adventure and we sure had an adventure. Take a look at my review of 'Maid of the Mist'.

Through the years, I have read reviews about the Canadian side of Niagara falls being a tourist trap and that it is all built up, but that was not what I saw, I was actually surprised at how big the falls is and in fact untouched. The recreational part of Niagara is far from where the falls is. The development does not take away from the falls at all.

You can avoid the area with all the museums, bars and restaurants by going directly to the falls. Naturally the Canadian gov't will want to make money from tourists by taking advantage of the falls. If you feel trapped, it means you wanted to get trapped. Like any other country that relies on tourism, Canada is only taking advantage of you if you let them. I only spent $30 for my daughter and I, for Maid of the Mist, and another $9.50 for ice cream for myself, my sister, her son, and my daughter. I wasn't taken by anything but the falls. My daughter wanted to go on the giant Sky wheel, but she did not win me over. So be a cautious traveler and you will enjoy this area of Canada. And if you are not a winter traveler, do not go there in the winter you will not have fun, I know I did that many years back on the US side and hated it. I hear it is something to see in the night.

Niagara Falls 1 Niagara Falls 2 Niagara Falls 3 Niagara Falls 4 Niagara Falls 5

Maid of the Mist

by Africancrab Written Aug 10, 2012

One of the things I wanted to do going to Niagara Falls was to go close to the falls at the bottom. The thrilling and adventurous boat ride famously known as ‘Maid of the Mist’ provided a great opportunity for me and my little ones to have an adventure. My 12 year old and 5 month old came along and had an incredible time. We left Kitchener for Niagara Falls Park at about 9:30 am, arriving at approximately 11:00 pm. It was pretty hot and humid, but that did not stop us from going right to the tours and ticket counter. My sister did not come with because she has a phobia for water.
    Our tickets cost US or CAN 15, the baby was free. We got in line (yes it was incredibly crowded), for the descent down to the dock. An elevator took us down to the bottom from where we were given blue ponchos to keep us dry from the water spray from the falls. We missed the first boat because it filled up quick, we took the second one. We went up for a better view; the tour was 15 minutes in total excluding the walk from the top to the bottom where the tour begins.

I must say, I have not had as much fun in the last 2 years as I had taking this tour. The falls is massive, words do it no justice. The force with which it falls, the spray and white looks like you walked right into a blizzard. The giant wall that appears as you get really close and turn is almost frightening; but it is mostly awe inspiring, leaving many gapping. The thunder of the falls as it drops many feet down is deafening, at one point I could not hear anyone speaking, even the closest person to me, who was my daughter. t was important for me not to keep my camera out all the time seeing as it is not water proof, but if you have a waterproof or underwater camera, you will want to carry that with you when you go to the falls. You will definitely get wet whether you go to the top of the boat or stay at the lower level. Be sure to tie the top part of the poncho under your chin otherwise the wind will blow it right off your head.

The boat has a guide who spoke to us over the PA at the beginning and at the end of the tour. This tour is available from both the Canadian and American sides. Many come to the Canadian side because it has the bigger part of the falls. This is a must see attraction if you find yourself in Canada, or plan to visit Canada. The falls is one of the world’s natural wonders, and you can take that off your list. This was $15 well spent and I would do it again.

Maid of the Mist 1 Maid of the Mist 2 Maid of the Mist 3 Maid of the Mist 4 Maid of the Mist 5
    • Sailing and Boating

Absolute World Towers

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

The 53 story tall twin towers of Mississauga are quite the eye catcher for anyone who visits this sub urban city in Ontario, Canada. I was taken by them when my sister dropped me and my children at the sears store to meet my brother. They are residential condominiums and quite the architectural achievement. Named after America's most famous female entertainer, the towers are actually called the Absolute Towers.

They tower the skies of Mississauga giving it the feel of a big urban city, but nothing like Toronto of course. They are a sight to see, you can't miss them if you visit Mississauga.

Marilyn Monroe towers 1 Marilyn Monroe towers 2 Marilyn Monroe towers 3 Marilyn Monroe towers 4 Absolute towers
    • Photography

St. Jacobs Country

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

Located just north of Waterloo, this charming rural town is Ontario's favorite rural destination. Seeing as I love culture and tradition, my sister thought I would love visiting St. Jacobs. She thought right, what was disappointing however was the fact that we arrived late evening and the town was closing down for the evening; yes I meant closing down at 6:00 pm. This is Ontario's Most Charming Pennsylvania Dutch Rural Destination.

We walked around nonetheless and with no traffic, we had the streets pretty much to ourselves. I could tell that it is filled with shops with fun items, the old church and brewery would have been great to tour had they been opened. Some of St. Jacobs’s attractions, such as the Outlet Mall, the Farmers Market and Market Road Antiques, are all located a few miles from the touristic village.

Historic St. Jacobs Historic St. Jacobs 1 Historic St. Jacobs 2 Historic St. Jacobs 3 Historic St. Jacobs 4

Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

My children and I flew Air Canada into Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport from Washington Reagan National Airport a week ago. The airport is clean and easy to navigate. We arrived early so the airport was empty. Security was high which is always good. What was interesting was the experience of trying to get back inside the terminal after exiting. We did not pick up Alexander's stroller when we got our bags. I had to go through security again, fill out paper work and get an escort to go back to baggage claim to get the stroller. The process was flawless and made easy. The airport signs are clearly marked for both domestic and international arrivals.

We departed through the same airport, departures presented a whole lot of challenges especially with security and customs. I was asked to fill in paperwork for all items I had bought in Canada including the 50 cent jar of apple sauce for Alexander. I had to take my checked in bags to customs myself which was quite a distance, but not unmanageable.
    Good airport all in all I would say.

Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport 1 With my son on arrival in Canada My daughter on arrival in Canada Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport  2 Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport 3
    • Business Travel

1638 Reviews - 3432 Photos
Windsor Hotels
321 Reviews - 984 Photos

Instant Answers: Canada

Comments

Canada Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Canada things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Canada sightseeing.
Map of Canada