Dawson Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Dawson

Sourdough Joe's: Good place for a snack

by Jefie Updated Jun 23, 2013

Eating out at Sourdough Joe's in Dawson City

Sourdough Joe's is a fun place to stop by if you're looking for something to much on, preferably something a bit greasy :-) It's mostly known around town for its fish & chips, but they also do all kinds of fries (even a Yukon version of the famous Quebec poutine), nachos, and so on. The outside terrace is filled with picnic tables so it's definitely a good place to go to grab a beer on a sunny day and enjoy the casual atmosphere of Dawson City.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Jack London Grill: Not much in the way of atmosphere, but great food!

by Jefie Updated Jun 23, 2013

Dinner on the patio at Jack London's Grill

The Jack London Grill can be found at the Downtown Hotel and it's one of Dawson City's biggest restaurants. As such, it doesn't have much to offer in the way of atmosphere, although eating out on the patio turned out to be a good option. Our waitress was really nice, and the menu had a good selection of dishes to choose from. The place is mostly famous for its tasty burgers, which is what my friends ordered, but I ended up going for the tomato, beef & pasta soup (which was more like a stew), and it was very good and quite filling. Even if it's not the most charming restaurant in Dawson, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you're looking for a good meal.

Riverwest Bistro: Great option for breakfast and light meals

by Jefie Updated Jun 22, 2013

Breakfast sandwich at Riverwest Bistro

We spotted this little coffeehouse (it's called a bistro, but it's more like a coffeehouse) on our second morning in Dawson and ended up going back a few times because A) their coffee was very tasty, and B) they had plenty of good, healthy options for breakfast and lunch. Their sandwiches are made on delicious locally-made bread, and they also sell things like fruits, yogurt and salads, so it makes it the perfect place to stop by to pack a picnic before going on a hike or hitting the road.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Klondike Kate's: Good for breakfast, even better for dinner!

by Jefie Written Jun 22, 2013

Kondike Kate's in Dawson City, Yukon

One thing I'm grateful about is that we spent enough time in Dawson to eat not once but twice at Klondike Kate's! This restaurant is named after Dawson's dance hall legend, also known as the "Queen of the Klondike". We first went there for breakfast, which are usually described as the best in town. We were there on a Sunday morning, so on top of the regular breakfast menu, we also had the special brunch menu to choose from. I especially enjoyed how special care is taken to include locally grown products in all the recipes. Our breakfast at Klondike Kate's was so good that we decided to go back for dinner on our last evening in Dawson. This time we decided to sit at a table on the lively outdoor patio. It took us forever to figure out what to eat because there were too many temping options, and to make our task even more difficult, each meal comes with two barbecue sides (I recommend the cornbread and oven-roasted veggies). I ended up going for the pulled chicken salad, but I also got to taste Sylvain's ribs - everything was absolutely fantastic!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Drunken Goat Taverna: Great food, great service, great atmosphere!

by Jefie Written Jun 21, 2013

Drunken Goat Taverna in Dawson

This Greek restaurant was highly recommended by everyone, but even if I'd never heard of it before, it's sunny patio would have surely drawn us to it. Located on Dawson's Second Avenue, the Drunken Goat features a great selection of Greek and Mediterranean specialties. Even if Greek cuisine is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Dawson, our meal was absolutely fantastic. You can go for a full platter or, if not that hungry (or if you're on a budget!), there's also plenty of smaller dishes to choose from, including great kebabs and gyros. I had the Mediterranean salad with chicken and it was delicious - no wonder everyone describes this place as the best restaurant in town!

Klondike Kate's Restaurant: An Authentic Hundred Year Old Gold Rush Setting

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Klondike Kate's Restaurant

This attractive restaurant in downtown Dawson is in a 1904 gold rush era building and their covered, heated, outside patio was voted "Best Patio in the Yukon" 2003. It looked like a great place for lunch - and it was.

The walls inside the main dining room hold displays which tell the fascinating story of the original Klondike Kate - or actually a few different women who went by that name.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Lunch Special: mushroom & barley soup with a sandwich of roast beef, white cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and dijonaise on a croissant. It was as good as it sounds. For dessert I couldn't resist Kate's famous Tin roof pie: their own recipe crust filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with fudge, whipped cream and peanuts. Now all I needed was a nap.

Klondike Kate's is a full service restaurant and is open from April - September, 6:30 a.m. to 11:p.m. daily.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Jack London Dining Room: northern food!!!

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 4, 2011

photo: from their website

It's the restaurant of the Downtown Hotel and it mainly serves American food, like burgers and sandwiches... either in the 65 seats indoor dining room, or outside on the patio. On the menu there are some salads and pastas, too, and a few northern specialities like arctic char, salmon and halibut. It's a no-frills place but quite good

Favorite Dish: arctic char is something one should try when up north... it's a sort of trout with a true distinctive taste... maybe because the rivers aren't polluted

China Village Restaurant: Best Deal on Breakfast

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Aug 28, 2004

China Village Restaurant

This plain little chinese restaurant, located on the side of the Midnight Sun Hotel, advertised a full breakfast for only $3.95 CDN. I wondered how they could do it, when a similar breakfast across the border in Alaska would have been more than three times as much. I was skeptical, but tried it anyway, and was absolutely delighted.

Favorite Dish: I had eggs, hash browns, bacon and whole wheat toast with jam. My order was well prepared and the service was friendly and efficient. The restaurant also offers good deals on Chinese food, but I was not in town long enough to take advantage of it.

Sourdough Saloon: Chatting and Chewing With the Locals

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Aug 27, 2004

Downtown Hotel and Jack London Grill

The first thing that struck me about this building was the fabulous old time architecture. On my first evening in Dawson City I wandered in off the street to look things over. From the Sourdough Saloon I heard the nostalgic refrain of Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind," so I went on in to listen. The performer was a female vocalist accompanied by an electronic keyboard. Soon I was sitting at the bar and chatting with a local gold miner about his most interesting profession.

The Saloon offered the same menu as the Jack London Grill (in another part of the building) so I bellied on up to the bar and ordered dinner. Excellent food, good music, and good conversation in a great setting - what more could one want?

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Pioneer Beef Burger, topped with mushrooms, bacon and cheese. At $7.95 CDN, or $6.35 US it was a bargain. The burger was big, juicy and very tasty. I'm sure Jack London would have approved.

• Music
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Dawson

Comments

Dawson Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dawson restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dawson sightseeing.