Watson Lake Travel Guide

by jorgejuansanchez
    by Ericasmurf99

Watson Lake Things to Do

by Ericasmurf99 Written Mar 27, 2010

Sadly, this was closed when we went by. Again, strange I thought since we were traveling during summer/tourist season. I really wanted to see the light show too...Oh well...

"Features the myth and science of the northern lights. Uses advanced video and laser technology to offer presentations on the aurora borealis inside a 100 seat theatre environment" -- The Mile Post

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Mar 27, 2010

I thought this place was one of the coolest little odd places I have ever seen! It was neat to see some of the older signs, international signs, and it was fun to spot all the ones from Kentucky (where I am orginally from). Some are funny, some are handmade, some are obviously stolen, etc. I wish we had brought one to place in the forest.

I highly recommend this little stop! See my travelogue for more photos.

"The Sign Post Forest was started by Carl K. Lindley (1919-2002) of Danville, Illinois, a U.S. soldier in Company D, 341st Engineers, working on the construction of the Alaska Highway in 1942......there are over 61,000 signs" -- The Mile Post

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo

by AmazingAdventures Written Apr 14, 2005

Ever wondered what happens to city signs "Welcome to _______" ? Once you see the sign post forest here it all becomes clear. this is where all those missing signs end up!

The adjacent visitors center will even let you use a hammer and nails to put up the sign you have brought from home!!

Even if you don't bring any 'donations', it's quite entertaining & fascinating just to walk thru 'the forset' and see how many signs and places you recognize

Absolutely a must see!!

• Watson Lake Hotel

Box 370, Watson Lake, Y0A 1C0, Canada

Watson Lake Restaurants

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Mar 27, 2010

It was the only place we found open for lunch (which is strange because we were traveling during the summer/tourist timeframe). We both just ordered off the cheap lunch menu. The food was good, waitress was nice, and place was clean.

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna melt w/chips and a diet coke.

Watson Lake Off The Beaten Path

• Oatlad's Profile Photo

by Oatlad Updated May 22, 2010

Liard Hot Springs is a nice hot springs about half way between Fort Nelson and Whitehorse, which tend to be regular stops for us when we travel the AlCan. There is a nice RV campground with some tent sites, and a couple of nearby inns and bed-and-breakfasts, so you can stay or just stop. The parking area to access the springs is a bit short of shade but is a nice place to have a picnic or take a nap, and the trail, a board walk, from the parking area to the springs is well maintained and interesting. The change rooms are minimal but well maintained, clean and functional. You will be able to find the right temperature water depending on how far up hill you go.

You will see some wildlife in the area. Unfortunately, a couple of times there were problems with bears. The problems are almost always caused by the humans but the bears almost always pay with their lives. Stay on the board walk and give the wildlife a lot of room, and you will have an outstanding experience at Liard. We always stop when we can!

Liard Hot Springs in the winter Here's cooler, lower springs in the autumn. The dam at the bottom of the lower pool. Part of the board walk from parking to the springs
    • Spa and Resort
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Watson Lake

Comments

Watson Lake Travel Guide
Map of Watson Lake