Whitehorse Local Customs

Say cheese!!
    Bear crossing the Klondike Highway
    by Jefie
    Black bear in the forest

Most Recent Local Customs in Whitehorse

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gone fishing!

by Jefie Updated Jul 11, 2013

Sylvain fishing on the Yukon River

For many people, fishing is THE thing to do in the Yukon - for me it was more about having the opportunity to be on the Yukon River in a boat :op But still, with the Yukon being one of the longest salmon rivers in the world and with lakes all around Whitehorse filled with all kinds of trout, I can understand the appeal. License fees are very low (only $20 for a weekly license for Non-Canadian residents), and getting access to the water is pretty easy. If you wish to organize a bigger fishing trip, you can stop by the Visitor Centre and they'll give you all the information you need.

• Fishing

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Wild animals sighting

by Jefie Written Jul 11, 2013

Say cheese!!

As you drive around Whitehorse and the Yukon, it's truly worth keeping an eye out for wildlife - sometimes you don't really need to try all that hard for they might just decide to cross the road right in front of you! During our trip, we saw some bears and foxes, plenty of paw and hoof prints, and plenty of poop as well! No caribou this time around, although we could tell there was one near us as we were hiking around Kluane National Park. Maybe next time!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Midnight Sun Coffee

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

horrid picture of me but this is about the coffee!

This coffee is very good! They say they can't think of a better place to make coffee than in a community where people are cold and need something warm. Whatever the reason, it works. We had some of this when we were in a cafe and I'll probably end up ordering from their online store as well. There's many varieties from dark roasts to flavored (sugarless) to decaf. What more can I say about coffee? The word alone is enough to make me want it;-) If you're in Whitehorse and like coffee, try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.:D

On their website, there is a sad story about the fire they had last year, but you can still get the coffee in town or online and they're setting up a new permanent location

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

What a great place for local beer!

by PA2AKgirl Written Oct 6, 2006

perfect label:)

If you've read any of my pages, you know I like to try the local beer. It could have the worst reputation in the world and I'd still try it. Fortunately, the Yukon Brewing Company makes great beer. Shirts say, "Beer worth freezin' for" and it's true:) The one we tried was Yukon Gold which is pretty good--it has a unique taste which is uncommon for smaller breweries. Sometimes you try them and you think one place makes it in a central location and adds different labels (and this happens--particularly with restaurants who claim to have their own beer) but this has a distinct flavor I don't believe can be copied.
    It's served widely around Whitehorse (as it's brewed and bottled there) and according to their website, across Canada and into the US but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Need to look harder, I guess...
    Their website is VERY funny and reflects the humor we came across in the Yukon...take a look.

Oddity - Exhibit C

Native Cemetary

On my trip to Haines Junction we did get to see some odd sites, so I included them under local customs and tips. I have no explanations, I am sorry but they were enjoyable to come across!

Out of respect this shouldn't be considered an oddity I guess but this is a native cemetary and the houses apparently provide a home for the person's soul! Interesting....

Oddity - Exhibit B

Hub Cap Collector

If you were wondering who stole your hub caps, it might have been this guy?

Oddity - Exhibit A

Village Rules

Seen here are a small village's set of rules!

• cobrioc's Profile Photo

Yukon's First Nations

by cobrioc Updated Jul 22, 2003

For Aboriginal people, their close links to the land are crucial to their cultural identity. Land claim settlements recognize the Yukon's First Nations as separate levels of government working with the governments of Yukon and Canada. Yukon's First Nations rely on wisdom and experience of their elders to draw from tradition and direct their paths into the future.
    Two Yukon First Nations have their traditional lands in the Whitehorse area - the Taa'an Kwächän and the Kwanlin Dün. The Southern Tutchone names for these people reflect their ties to the land. Taa'an means "head of the lake," referring to Lake Laberge, while Kwanlin means "water running through a narrow place," describing the turbulent waters of Miles Canyon and Whitehorse Rapids.
    For centuries the Southern Tutchone had strong trade and family ties with groups from all over the Yukon and the Alaska panhandle. In 1898, their lives changed radically. According to one elder, the Klondike gold rush brought "so many white people, there was like water running all the rime."

• The Bar Bell

by TerryD Written Nov 19, 2002

You will often notice a hanging bell by the bar at local drinking establishments. Be aware that if you choose to ring this bell, you'll be expected to buy a round for the house. And yes, it does happen "on purpose" as well.

• duanestorey's Profile Photo

Whitehorse has a large...

by duanestorey Written Aug 26, 2002

Whitehorse has a large population of native Canadians. I was lucky enough to meet several groups, and learned alot of their culture and beliefs. Elders are always treated with reverence, and are always looked after first. I met a friend Cheryl while volunteering at the Whitehorse Storytelling Festival, and although I only knew her for around a week after that, she invited me to her house to stay with her and her kids for the rest of the summer. Here's a picture of three of her kids, Rachel, Elizabeth and Greg.

• Kindra's Profile Photo

The Yukon is unique and is a...

by Kindra Written Aug 25, 2002

The Yukon is unique and is a part of Canada but should not be taken as a representative of Canada- hotels will often not have tvs or phones in the rooms, and do not expect email service etc wherever you go! Grocery stores are rare and not big outside of Whitehorse but this is simply because they are unnecessary. The Yukon is home to 30,000 people spread over a great distance and some parts can be very remote. Although some everyday conveniences are lacking in the Yukon, does not mean that they are lacking in the rest of Canada and take advantage of this! (This is a building on Third Avenue in Dawson and is quite famous, but hey most Canadians do not live in places like this and we do not live in igloos!)
    An additional interesting tip for die hard Coke fans. Pepsi generally has a monopoly in the territory and Coke is not found outside of Whitehorse- only Pepsi products, so be prepared.

• Kindra's Profile Photo

These are a few tips that I...

by Kindra Written Aug 25, 2002

These are a few tips that I was given on my flight from Vancouver to Whitehorse by a wonderful man named Will who had been living in the territory for a long time: these tips can probably be trusted, but if you do take advantage of them, dont hold me responsible for whatever happens!

1.)When walking or hiking for a long period of time, Will recommended that I find two small round pebbles and place them at the very back of my mouth (one on each side) tucked between my cheek and back molar. This evidently produces moisture within the mouth and you wont feel thirsty...

2.)When camping, especially in bear country (essentially the entire territory) one must always hang your food up high (bears arent great climbers). He also recommended (and I am not too sure on this one) that I get a can of raid and cover it in honey, placing it near the campsite. According to him the bear will bite into it, having the raid spray into his face and this will deter him from visiting again (he would know better, but I feared this may antagonize the animal.. who knows?)

Instant Answers: Whitehorse

Comments

Whitehorse Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Whitehorse local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitehorse sightseeing.