Whitehorse Restaurants

Braeburn Lodge's famous cinnamon buns!
    by Jefie
  • The owner of Braeburn Lodge - tell him I said hi!
    The owner of Braeburn Lodge - tell him I...
    Yum!!

Best Rated Restaurants in Whitehorse

Great deli in Whitehorse: Yukon Meat & Sausage

Meat & Sausage selection

Yukon Meat & Sausage is a bit of an institution in Whitehorse. It's been around since 1968, and its workman's special (two sausages, sauerkraut & salad for $9) are especially appreciated by locals and tourists alike. If you're planning a picnic or if you're going camping, this is THE place to go in Whitehorse to fix yourself a memorable lunch. I tried a selection of their homemade salads and they were all delicious, and so were the sausages - they have your more typical hungarian salamis, Landjäger, spicy chorizos and so on, plus a wide selection of homemade sausages, including bison and caribou ones. They also sell crackers, bread, and they have a fantastic selection of cheese - we stopped by before going fishing and had a amazing feast on the boat - who cares if we caught anything?!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Riverside Groceries: If you can't find it here, it might not exist!

by Jefie Updated Jul 13, 2013

The candy selection sure caught my attention!

This is another Whitehorse institution, for sure. This market's motto is "If we don't have it, it's not worth having", and that pretty much sums it all up. This place is literally full to the brim with grocery products of all kinds, and of every brand you can think of. People with special diets will love it as they are sure to find all the gluten-free, sugar-free, etc., products they've been looking for, along with a wide range of bio and local products. It's worth taking a look around if only to see how much stuff they manage to pack in the store!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Braeburn Lodge: The best & biggest cinnamon bun you'll ever have!

by Jefie Updated Jul 3, 2013

Braeburn Lodge's famous cinnamon buns!

This reststop is located about an hour away from Whitehorse on the Klondike Highway. Going back to the tradition of roadhouses that would welcome people traveling from Whitehorse to Dawson City, Braeburn Lodge now welcomes tourists and it also is one of the madatory stops on the famous Yukon Quest sled dog race. What also makes it a mandatory stop for people traveling on the Klondike Highway are its famous cinnamon buns - trust me on this one, you don't want to miss the chance of sinking your teeth in the biggest, most delicious bun you'll ever put your hands on! The cinnamon buns are what make this place so famous but while you're at it, why not order one of the lodge's humongous sandwiches. Don't be put off by the price ($10) - it seems expensive but the three of us shared a grilled cheese and not only was it delicious, the one sandwich was enough to fill all three of us up until dinner!

Favorite Dish: Not a dish, but I need to point out that the owner gave me a great big hug before we left! :o)

Baked Cafe & Bakery: Great like cafe in Whitehorse

Sylvain having lunch at Baked Cafe in Whitehorse

There's a good number of cafes in Whitehorse so I didn't have time to try them all, but if you're looking for a healthy meal and a good cup of Joe, I can definitely recommend this one, which happens to be my friend's favourite. On top of their coffee specialties, homemade bread and pastries, Baked also offers a wide selection of sandwiches, salads, quiches and pizzas, and I thought it was interesting to see the number of vegan and gluten-free options available. I had the chicken, cranberry & quinoa salad and it was very good! You can eat on the spot or order your food to go.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Klondike Rib & Salmon: Top choice in Whitehorse!

by Jefie Updated Jul 13, 2013

Their famous (half-rack) rib plate!

If you're only going to try one restaurant in Whitehorse, then let it be this one, both for the food and atmosphere. Klondike Rib & Salmon is located in the city's two oldest buildings, on 2nd Avenue. They don't take reservations so on any day of the week, it's quite common to see people lining up in front of the tiny restaurant. You rarely have to wait too long though, and in any case it's worth the wait: the menu features a great selection of delicious northern specialties such as game and fish dishes (and yes, there are vegetarian options as well!). I very much enjoyed the fun, casual atmosphere of the place: it feels a bit like an old logging camp, with drinks served in Mason jars and meals served in tin dishes. Portions are pretty big, but should you still have room for dessert, make sure you have someone to share it with as they are huge!!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Gold Pan Saloon: Good food, local people

by PA2AKgirl Written Oct 6, 2006

There are many choices for places to eat, but we wanted to go someplace not that fancy and not that expensive, so we chose this place. Since it was Monday night, it wasn't at all crowded--a total of 6 people, I think. But the menu is large and they have special nights too--it was Mexican night when we were there. You can still eat off the regular menu, which we did.
    The food is good but even better were the 2 guys in there. They obviously had a lot to drink and in between shooting pool they'd come over and have a drink. Among themselves, they were cursing up a storm...it was actually quite funny--the things they were saying to each other. At one point, they called a cab but it never showed. Then, they asked the bartender (who they knew) what else they could do. She said this guy has the limo in town and she could call him, so they told her to do that. A limo!! What's even better is that they started talking to us and without even knowing who we were, they invited us to ride with them and they'd show us around Whitehorse in a stretch limousine. Had we not been on the road all day, we just may have taken them up on it...

Favorite Dish: I figured what better place to order a New Orleans Chicken Sandwich than Whitehorse, Yukon? There was nothing New Orleans about it--Chicken, melted cheese, sweet peppers on focaccia. But it was very good. And I got fries...the lady asked me if I wanted gravy with them and since it's the local way, I said yes. (and of course, because I like that combination) Bobby ordered a burger. What he got was a chicken sandwich. The lady offered to take it back but he ate it and did like it.

We also had some local beer...pretty good as well.

• Newtrish Inn / No Pop: Heathly eating

by northernnites Written Feb 17, 2003

This is a very small restaruant, with friendly servers and good food.

Favorite Dish: I am a cook by trade and this small restaurant serves an excellent fresh fruit crepe topped with whip cream! This si my favorite and they serve it all day long!

• The Deli: Lunchtime at the Deli

by TerryD Written Nov 19, 2002

Hot daily lunch special for CAN$5.95. Homemade soups, salads and sandwiches. Take-out or small sitdown area. Regular deli goods and European products for sale

Favorite Dish: Some days there are 4 types of excellent homemade pizza for sale for $1.50/slice. The French Onion soup is awesome too.

• tompt's Profile Photo

Klondike Rib & Salmon Barbecue: Eat some game

by tompt Written Aug 10, 2005

caribou stew

At the Klondike Rib & Salmon Barbecue you can eat a caribou stew, like have never had before.
    There is a patio where you can eat, and which they will heat during colder evenings.
    The atmosphere in the restaurant is great. It looks like time stood still in the golddiggers age. The softdrinks were served in old jellyjars, and there is sourdough bread.

Favorite Dish: Caribou stew, it is not only tasty meat but also a well seasoned sauce.

• Midnight Sun Coffee Roaster: new age, progressive

by chiefsteve Written Nov 7, 2008

After traveling hundreds of miles on the Alaska Highway this is a warm welcome. Really nice internet cafe and diner with an art gallery. Local artists display their works here and college students hang out here. Great place to make new friends

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Klondike Kate's

by Kindra Written Aug 25, 2002

Klondike Kate's
    Sit out on the patio. It was quite warm (25 degrees celsius and above the whole time we were there- end of June) and we enjoyed a pitcher of sangria with our dinner one beautiful evening; of course, the sun is still and always out. Its a casual atmosphere and usually always busy! We kept coming back cuz it was just soooo good- the best in Dawson I would say and many will agree with me. Kate's also rents out cabins and some friends of mine stayed there and found the price reasonable and the accommadation comfortable and quaint.

Favorite Dish: We were in Dawson for 4 days and had the opportunity to stay at least once for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We couldn't stay away. The menu is quite diverse (one for breakfast and one for lunch/dinner) and there were always specials. For breafast, I enjoyed the Eggs Florentine (like Benedict only they took out the ham and put in tomatoes... making vegetarians like me very happy!) and the Huevos Rancheros! Very filling and delicious! We also enjoyed their sangria with tons of real fruit right in there.

• tompt's Profile Photo

New Asia: Very quiet restaurant

by tompt Written Aug 10, 2005

We were two of the only four guests here at a saturday night in july. But the people who didn't come were wrong, the food was great.
    The atmosphere in the restaurant was not special. The pictures on the wall taken by the delivery boy didn't help that much to make a chinese setting. It were good pictures of nature tough.

The food was good, both the wonton soup and the chicken with mushrooms.

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Earls Whitehorse: Patio with a view of the River Yukon & mountains

by PeterVancouver Written Apr 19, 2012
    Earls whitehorse

The food was as usual up to the standard of Earls throughout BC but it does have a large patio out the back which also happens to be the final stop on the tram route so you can finish up your meal and wait for the tram to arrive to take you back though town whilst gazing down on the Yukon river and the surrounding mountains

Favorite Dish: Most things at Earls are good especially steak, and if in season lobster

• Pho's 5 star restaurant: AproPHO's

by Hungrier Updated Oct 1, 2008

I walked in to take out two Vermicelli Plates that I had ordered ahead of time and the restaurant was empty (at 6 pm). Even still, I had to wait about five minutes to receive my order. The food smelled tasty in the car on the ride home but that was clearly a sensory illusion.
    When I got through the door and opened up the styrofoam package I was instantly disappointed. The grilled skewered pork was shriveled up and stuck to the skewer, the noodles were cold and as bland as snow and the "assorted vegetables" consisted of a handful of iceberg lettuce, a stark amount of sprouts, two measly slices of cucumber and one leaf of possible romaine (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). The only source of life to this meal was the generic soy sauce I added from my own fridge and the small bug that crawled out from under my boyfriends lettuce (I'm not joking). Return customer... I think not.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Whitehorse

Comments

Whitehorse Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Whitehorse restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitehorse sightseeing.