Kulusuk Shopping

• Kulusuk airport with small store inside, Greenland
    Kulusuk airport with small store inside,...
    by jumpingnorman
  • My Inuit cashier/postman at Kulusuk, Greenland
    My Inuit cashier/postman at Kulusuk,...
    by jumpingnorman
  • Shopping
    by Kalexus

Best Rated Shopping in Kulusuk

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Kulusuk Airport: The Airport Store in Kulusuk, Greenland

by jumpingnorman Updated Mar 22, 2013

Kulusuk airport with small store inside, Greenland

Conveniently, once you arrive in Kulusuk, there is a gift shop and immediately, I went to it and bought postcards because I was not sure if there would be any more in the little town or if I'll have time to buy...(actually, they did sell some postcards at the tiny post-office but make sure you mention to your guide that you want to go to the post office when you reach town).

And once again, they do not accept Icelandic krona, Us dollars, nor Euros, nor pounds...just the Danish Krona or pay with your credit card with your PIN NUMBER. Thank God I remembered mine which was ****.

I also bought more stuff from this store when I got back from the town. I bought shirts for my twins and magnets and you can also buy tupilaks here although of lesser quality than in the tupilak store at town. They also sell these woolen coats, very high quality and a bit expensive.

The young girl at the counter already knew me because I charged with my card about 4 times since I kept on buying while the plane was still not ready...hehehe...thanks Inuit girl for being so paitent with me (she said something to another Inuit and they laughed and smiled at me...I think they thought I was buying too much? funny? what??? but they were nice to me...)

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
    I made a video of my Kulusuk trip!
    Hope you like it!
    JUMPING NORMAN IN GREENLAND!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

The Grocery?: The Main Grocery of Kulusuk, Greenland

by jumpingnorman Updated Mar 22, 2013

My Inuit cashier/postman at Kulusuk, Greenland

Well, after sending my postcards to VTers, I went to the adjacent grocery which is actually the main shopping event in this little towm of 300 people, Kulusuk. I did pay via my credit card but I had to know my pin number.

I looked around the store for gifts or souvenirs but they had only a little shelf of tupilaks (handcrafted animal antlers...), and they were a bit expensive (about $50+++ for a small pendant) and I looked around if there was anything else, but they just had little toys for kids and of course, the regular grocery and kitchen items. This is really just your basic grocery store where you could probably buy batteries if you need them or maybe an extra shirt or clothes to protect from the cold...

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
    I made a video of my Kulusuk trip!
    Hope you like it!
    JUMPING NORMAN IN GREENLAND!

• Adventure Travel

• Kalexus's Profile Photo

Local sellers; Trading Post: Tupilaq

by Kalexus Written Apr 13, 2009

There are no real shops in Kulusuk except the trading post. Tupilaqs are generally bought either at the trading post or from local sellers, who spot you as a tourist (and therefore potential tupilaq buyer) and will show you the tupilaqs they have made. Hotel Kulusuk might also sell tupilaqs and other locally made things.

What to buy: Tupilaqs are weird-looking monsters from the Inuit folklore, that are usually made of reindeer horn and are a typical souvenir and collectible.

What to pay: 200-400 Danish kroner, depends on the size

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Kulusuk

Comments

Kulusuk Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kulusuk shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kulusuk sightseeing.