Kulusuk Things to Do

Arctic Dog POOP, Kulusuk, Greenland

Most Recent Things to Do in Kulusuk

Enter the Church in Kulusuk

Church in Kulusuk, Greenland

There are only 300 (316 to be exact) inhabitants in Kulusuk. And they do have a Church with the image of Christ -- looks like Christianity has also reached this part of the world. But they do mix their religions, and weddings are made in this Church but in "Inuit Style". Apparently, they marry early at about 16 years of age.

The Church is a very nice new structure and there is a miniature ship hanging at the wall at the side of the altar. I prayed a bit on the pew and then I asked if I could take pictures...and I was allowed and so I did.

I did not see the priest and I was curious who it was? And I also had no info when the Church was built and if this was the original structure - just repainted with RED? It's hard to do research on this little town, not much info about it on internet, haha...I also forgot to ask my guide because I was moving around too much, hehehe

• Religious Travel

Pass by the Kulusuk Cemetery and pay respects

The hillside cemetery at Kulusuk, Greenland

Well, if you follow the route going to the village settlement of Kulusuk which used to be the most populated in the Ammassalik area (year 1930) with 165 people, you will pass by the cemetery. It is a collection of white crosses with very colorful flowers and with the backdrop of snowcapped mountains. There were even empty coffin boxes beside the crosses...and I had to stop myself from stepping or laying inside for a picture (respect the cemetery).

But unfortunately, Kulusuk just has 300+ inhabitants and so it is only the second most populated (I think Tassilaq has more). The Inuits have also buried their dead behind their houses, but now they are more apt to bury them all in this concentrated cemetery. Some "wooden crosses" were big, some small and some names, most did not..

But these people have to be applauded for surviving in these harsh remote conditions...

Send postcards to your VT friends from Greenland

by jumpingnorman Updated Mar 22, 2013

Inuit postman holding my postcards in Greenland

My VT friend SLLiew has an amazing postcard collection, and he does say that Greenland postcards are hard to come by. So, once I landed in this remote town of Kulusuk with only 300 inhabitants, I was weary if there was a post office. As soon as we landed in the small airport which was in the middle of all the snow, I saw postcards and bought them immediately. But no stamps.

Our French guide said to remind him to bring me to the town post office...so there is a post office, yoohoo!

Actually, the post office is annexed to the grocery which is the MALL of the whole town. The post-office man was also the same Inuit man who tallied up things I bought at the grocery, lol...

But, just remember, they don't take Iceland Krona and you need to know your pin number for your credit or debit card. I used the latter.

Now time will tell if those postcards reach my VT friends...

UPDATE: SLLiew received the postcards a few days later and has it in his awesome collection, probably the best postcard collection itn the world! Thanks, Kulusuk Post Office! (I uploaded the postacrds on this tip - downloading from SL's page)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Buy the Tupilak handicrafts of great quality

With Inuit at Tupilak store -I am the one with bag

Kulusuk has craftsmen who use animal horns and teeth for these intricate art pieces called Tupilaks - very high quality. If you have a guide, you will be brought to a little house which sells these items and this also serves as a little museum with a kayak made of sealskin on the wall.

But because these are works of art and somewhat RARE, the prices can range from a $50 to hundreds of dollars and a polar bear memento can be thousands...but you are buying a souvenir from remote Greenland! I decided to buy one made out of the horn a Tuttu deer which is supposed to give me good luck (I did not feel good about polar bear souvenirs). But my Tupilak did bring me good luck immediately the next day - I saw a Blue Whale when I was not even scheduled to see whale in Husavik, Iceland!

There is also The Kulusuk Trading Post at the Kulusuk Hotel, but I think we were brought to a small house insteaad within the city center to buy our tupilaks if I remember right. Our French guide was also the cashier, hehehe..but a Tupilak man was beside him (maybe he did not know how to operate the credit card machine?). But the Inuit man also looked like me, so don't get confused of who I am in the pictures...lol

Watch Drum Dance and Kayaking in Greenland

Drum dance at Kulusuk, Greenland

We were 18 in the group who flew in that day, and we were treated to a nice Drum Dance which they said would be cancelled if the weather was bad. But we were lucky the weather was so magnificent and I knew we were going to have the show.

An Inuit man was there and he did not speak English at all, but the setting was just surreal. He was on a ledge and his background was floating mini-icebergs and Mt Everest-like mountain ranges….this would beat any theater set at Universal Studios.

And he did sing with so much gusto – and had 2 songs lined up for us – the third one was a sort of a battle drum dance and a volunteer was asked to stand and the Inuit would go up to his face and "almost kiss" the other guy, maybe taunting him…

After the drum dance, a man suddenly appeared on a seal skin kayak…and he showed his skill at throwing the spear. It’s nice to see these locals making the effort to show us their way of life/culture, even though it appeared "so staged". But definitely good entertainment in Kulusuk nonetheless.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

See the domesticated wolf of Kulusuk

Arctic Dogs of Kulusuk, Greenland

We were walking to the town of Kulusuk (only 300 people live there) from the small tiny airport and we heard some howling-like noises in the morning air...I associated such howlings with nightimes and so when another tourist from Singapore asked what it was, I said, "Oh, they're probably practicing for the drum dance that they are going to show us".

Wrong.

What we found out later was that Kulusuk had these dogs that were guarding the houses, tied down by leashes and they are some of the purest arctic dogs you'd find! They have been locked in this landmass for centuries - and our French guide said they are unique to the area.

When a helicopter hovered above, they would start to howl and I got it here on a video on VT...really eerie hearing their howlings in the morning.

And they didn't mind me taking their pictures...

• inuit's Profile Photo

Kayak Show

by inuit Written Jan 7, 2004

Photo by: David Ben Zur

The Kayak is a Greenlandic word meaning a hunting boat. Usually only men are aloud to use it. The Umiak is a big boat used mainly by men or women for many purposes like migrating. Inuit people of Kulusuk and Ammassalik still make their living from hunting seals, whales and birds during the year. In Kulusuk you can see a demonstration of rowing a Kayak and the way it used for hunting. It is a great way for photo nice images of the kayak and amazing landscape in background.

• Vic5's Profile Photo

The New Cemetery

by Vic5 Written Oct 6, 2002

The new cemetery

The new cemetery, set into the hillside, is worth a visit. On the day tour, you'll pass it on your walk to Kap Dan. If you walk up to the top of the hill you get a good view of the village.

Instant Answers: Kulusuk

Comments

Kulusuk Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kulusuk things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kulusuk sightseeing.