Coyoacán Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Coyoacán

Museo Diego Rivera ANAHUACALLI

by malianrob Updated Sep 23, 2008

At first I was told that this was Diego Riveras house but it wasnt. He never lived here. He built this place because among other things he was also an art collector. He and Frida Kahlo had an extensive, important collection of precolonia art. The property is just under 4 acres and it was designed by Diego himself. This place is very large with about three floors. On the top floor was supposed to be his studio. I dont think he ever saw it completed.
    You can also go up to the top and over look the city from here.
    It does take a long time here in this museum, there is alot to see. Also there are guided tours that are included with your price of admission.

San Juan Bautista Church

by malianrob Updated Sep 23, 2008

Located in the main square of Coyoacan this church is said to be one of the prettiest in all of Mexico. From the outside it looks quite plain but once you go inside its another story. Thy say that this church had to be beautiful because this is where the Conquistador Cortes came to worship. This is one of the oldest Catholic churches in central Mexico.
    It is true from the outside it didnt look like much but inside was nice. Once again we can come in, free to look and take pictures.
    On Sundays service is just about every hour beginning at 6am

Plaza Hidalgo and Jardin Centenario

by malianrob Written Sep 23, 2008

This is the main square. There was contruction going on here but it didnt make this place not worth seeing. It was very beautiful. This is known as Coyoacans zocalo. The main square is a beautiful plaza in the center. A church (San Juan Bautista on one side, the Casa Cortes on another and a beautiful garden.
    Usually there are people hanging out, people watching, selling their crafts and food.
    There were some benches available but mostly things were covered up.
    There were some restaurants and cafes open to the public so it wasnt so bad. I was very glad we came here.

Casa De Hernan Cortes

by malianrob Updated Sep 23, 2008

So this used to be the house of the conquistador Hernan Cortez. It is now government offices. I think they said it was municipal government. We came here on a Sunday so this was all closed off. On top of that there was construction going on for the Independance Day Celebration and they were also painting. So I never thought that we would actually get inside. We were with our friend Celso who convinced the painters to convince the security guys to let us in and check out the place.
    To my surprise they let us in and showed us around, gave us a tour of the place, talked alittle bit about the history and some of the paintings and murals here.
    It was really very nice of them, we were very thankful. There is also a Diego Rivera mural inside.
    The Castle of Cortes, where the Spanish conquistador Cortes lived when a forest and waters separated this area from Mexico City. Now, it houses the offices of the Delegate for Coyoacan and the area's tourist office.

Mercado de Coyoacan

by malianrob Written Sep 23, 2008

This is probably the cleanest street market I have ever seen. There were tons of good places to eat if you had the munchies. There are also beautiful flowers for sale, fruits and veggies, spices, clothing. arts and crafts. I was going to eat here but enstead we decided to go somewhere else. It was fun to walk around in here and talk to people and take pictures. It is interesting all the unique things you can find here.
    If you are in the area you might want to check it out.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Take a walk to visit the colonial homes

by malianrob Written Sep 23, 2008

Along the Avenida Francisco Sosa you will find some of the most beautiful homes in Coyoacan. These have been retored to look as they did in the Colonial era. You can walk for a few blocks and imagine what it used to be like back in that time. The streets are cobblestone, there are trees everywhere amd the homes are beautiful.
    Most of the homes have names and they carry the coat of arms of the original families that used to live here. Some house have the family name on them and others have a shrine to the Virgen Mary.
    We took a stroll along these streets and it was so peaceful. People (locals) were walking their dogs. Everyone that you passed said good morning.
    Some of the homes had the little hoops on the wall where they used to tie up their horses. These are very old homes with so much character and elegance. Walking around here takes you back in time.

Museo Frida Kahlo

by malianrob Updated Sep 22, 2008

After having read the biography of Frida Kahlo and looking at varies pictures, this place seemed very familiar to me. I came here once on the Turibus but because of the demonstrations at the University we were side tracked and we didnt get to Coyoacan until very late. Unfortuneatley the Museo was closed. I was so bumbed out. I did get a great view of the city and I knew I HAD to come back. I vcame back the next day with a driver we hired. He brought us here and later in the day we went to Xochmilco.
    The travel book I had said that cameras are not permitted. This is not true. You can bring your camera and even take pictures inside the museum like in the gardens and the outside area of the house butnot any inside the rooms.
    There isnt a whole lot to se here really. They say that the house has been practically lefty the way it was when Frida and Diego lived here.
    For me though, it didnt matter, I came to Coyoacan to see this place and I love it. What I didnt expect was tofind Coyoacan so beautiful.
    The Museum has the bed that Frida Kahlo laid in, her wheelchair, a few paintings and scetches. You can also see the plaster corsett that she wore for long periods of time. The museumwas very interesting. There are a totalof something like 12 rooms here, a couple of them were closed for renovation though.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Casa Cortes

by Jim_Eliason Written Dec 9, 2006

Casa Cortes

This building was built by Cortes as his seat of his spanish adminstration during the siege of the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan. In 1523 he transferred the colonial government to the site of modern day Mexico City.

• Architecture

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Casa Azul - Museo Frida Kahlo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Dec 9, 2006

Casa Azul

This is the museum is in the home of Mexico's premier female artist Frida Kahlo. Kahlo was married to Diego Riveria, Mexico's most famous artist. The museum contains a decent collection of of Kahlo's and Riveria work along with pieces from their personal art collection.

• Museum Visits

Museo Leon Trotsky

by AnnaLupilla Written Jan 10, 2006

Content to be added soon - I swear. Right now I am just uploading tips to have the topic completed and step by step gonna add the missing stuff, so please stay patient! Also, I am adding still empty tips not to loose anything. Please stay calm, I already know I got quite something to do with that whole lot of work!

Parroquia de San Juán Bautista

Fuente en el Jard��n Centen��rio

Avenida Francisco Sosa

Plaza Santa Catarina

Instant Answers: Coyoacán

Comments

Coyoacán Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Coyoacán things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coyoacán sightseeing.