Mexico City Nightlife

• Nightlife
    by MookieStephens
  • the mariachis playing at El Lugar de los Mariachis
    the mariachis playing at El Lugar de los...
    by gwened
    the pop musician take their turn
    by gwened

Best Rated Nightlife in Mexico City

Cantina de los Remedios: Cantina

by jumanuel Updated Sep 21, 2005

Cantina de los Remedios

This place is quite popular for being a traditional modern cantina. The origanal Cantina de los Remedios is in the city of Guadalajara, Jalisco.
    The atmosphere is ok, you can play cards and have some chat with locals - this cantina is safer than the once that are in the downtown.

Dress Code: It's doesn't matter

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

plaza garibaldi.: the most romantic square in the world.

by cachaseiro Written Apr 21, 2008

plaza garibaldi

plaza garibaldi is the place to go in this world for mariachi music.
    on this square you have dozens of bands hanging out, ready to play a song for your sweetheart for a couple of dollars.
    it´s not just a tourist place, but also very popular among working class mexicans who will go there with their girlfriends and buy them a song or two.
    the square has several cafes and restaurants where you can eat and drink while watching the spectacle.

plaza garibaldi is really uniqe and a must see thing in mexico city.
    especially in the evening.

Dress Code: everything goes there.

various: Moon over Coyoacan

by acemj Updated Dec 3, 2005

The nightlife in Mexico City is arguably the best in the whole country. Sure, nightlife is a matter of taste. Some like the theater and others prefer a dive bar in a shady neighborhood. Well, Mexico City certainly has it all. You can see a show at the immaculate Bellas Artes or you can catch the Mariachi Bands at Plaza Garibaldi. Personally, I preferred the more laid back atmospheres of fine dining in Polanco and relaxed bars and cafes in Coyoacan.

ROOTS: Friday/ Satuday night

by jumanuel Updated Sep 21, 2005

Roots

This is a famouse nightclub. It's located at the north of the city, honestly I don't recomend to go alone. However you will spend a great time, the music played is mostly electronic convine with pop english/spanish.
    The place of table depends of the area you want to spend your money.

Dress Code: Casual

• Nike333's Profile Photo

El Relicario: Los domingos...

by Nike333 Written Feb 17, 2004

El Relicario is a bar/club located by the "Satelite". They have pool tables and the music inclueds house, rnb, rock, salsa, merenque,... todo!
    I always went there on sunday nights. The bar is packed on that day and the atmosphere is great!

• alza's Profile Photo

cafe in Zona Rosa: Los Mariachis

by alza Updated Oct 24, 2005

in memory of my lost Italian sweater

it's more fun to spend the night yoodling along when accompanied by a blase but patient Mexican. He won't sing along but he'll love your enthusiasm. thanks erick!

The resto-bars in Zona Rosa all offer live entertainment. Mariachis bands everywhere, and other music too. I just started my nightlife with a taste of the local stuff. A great time!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Feira (note: now called PINK): A place *NOT* to go to!!!!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 13, 2008

This is gonna be like my only "anti-tip"... which means I'm just posting it in order to advice people to AVOID going to this place, instead of encouraging them to visit it as the rest of my tips intend to do.

I had never heard about this dump and would probably never had if I hadn't been invited to join a friend of mine & her co workers there. They picked this place (lousy choice!) and got there early, I was supposed to reach them later... but when I tried to join them at barely 8 PM, I was NOT allowed in the place... Why?? "Cause I had no reservation" and they needed the space for a "private event" (the universal line they give you when they want to keep you from entering a place, especially nightclubs). Well, my friends were ALREADY IN, they had been occupying a table for 6 for a while and were drinking (so they certainly weren't there for free), so I don't think an extra person would have been a problem... But the guy almost pushed me out even though my friend in person came downstairs to tell him I was coming with them and that they already had a table, regardless of their "event" (whether it existed or not).... Still, they asked me to leave as if I were some beggar trying to enter a fancy restaurant and get something to eat and drink for free.... so all the guys that were with my friend supported me and they WERE ALL KICKED OUT of the place cause they would just not let me in, so if we wanted to be together, they had to leave! And so we did... we all headed for La Jima (see my other nightlife tips) and had a good dinner and some drinks there...

Now, what kind of lousy dump KICKS ITS CUSTOMERS OUT OF THE DOOR??? What kind of a$$holes are those who, instead of trying to keep their clients happy, just ask them to leave cause "you're occupying their precious space, which is destined to something better than hosting YOU"??? (continued below, no space left!)

Dress Code: ....We just couldn't understand that a "nice-fancy-place-in-Polanco" would be run by such dickheads, because not even the manager moved a finger to try to keep my acquaintances inside their dump... on the opposite, it looked like they were happy to see us leave! What a bunch of LOSERS! And this is one of those "classy" night spots in Polanco where the "nice wealthy people" go every weekend... maybe we didn't look nice enough to be allowed in? Our clothes were not Armani or Versace and therefore we did not deserve to be admitted into such a "wonderful night spot"??? Well, F--CK 'em! I personally have no intention whatsoever to even get close to this place ever again. And I advice you to do the same!! I wouldn't like you to be mistreated by some bunch of jerks which might make you think that all of us Mexicans are so stupid... So, keep away from "Feira"!!!!!

DRESS CODE???? Whatever!!!!!! You're not going inside anyway! :-P

Please mind that this place was renamed as PINK later on, but now it seems they've closed it down and the local is being offered for lease to some new business. Stay away anyway until I can update you about a DECENT business being run here! ;-)

• acemj's Profile Photo

Spanish cultural center??: Just loungin'

by acemj Updated Dec 3, 2005

I don't know the exact name of this place, but it's located on the street that runs behind the Cathedral (Tacuba) and is inside of the Spanish Cultural Center/ Art Gallery. By day, this is an interesting place to explore the culture of Spain, but by night you'll find a lot of interesting people in a laid back atmosphere in the upstairs bar/lounge.

The Hostal Catedral is located only a few doors down the street and as a result, you'll find a lot of young international people visiting this place. It makes for an interesting atmosphere.

VTer claubarsa (Carlos) and I had a good time here just hanging out. There is a dance floor overlooking the back of the Cathedral and plenty of other quieter spots if you're just here to chill out and enjoy a drink and some conversation.

El Hijo de Cuervo: Drinks in Coyoacan

by acemj Updated Apr 4, 2011

I walked by this place with Laura (VTer Laura_Mexico) and she told me that it was one of the most popular bars in Coyoacan. The next day, my friend Adriana and I decided to hang out here and a have a few drinks (tequila, of course) on the patio outside. We shared some small appetizers and enjoyed a few tequilas and good conversation before moving on. The service was prompt and attentive, but not smothering and the waiter was good-natured as Adriana and I fought over the bill!

The tequilas were around 60 pesos each, so it's not the cheapest place in town, but not bad.

On weekends, there is a small cover charge and often music, but we were there on a Monday and there was no cover.

Dress Code: It's a laid back place so you can come as you are.

• Aptypo's Profile Photo

Polanco.

by Aptypo Updated Oct 7, 2003

Polanco

Polanco.
    (Polanco Neighbourhood).

This once quiet residential neighbourhood now is filled with offices and apartments buildings, hotels, restaurants, chic boutiques, and shopping centers.

For a sophisticated dose of modern Mexico City, visitors should head to Polanco neighbourhood to spend the night at any of its various excellent (but expensive) nightlife places.

• Nike333's Profile Photo

Yuppies Sports bar: Football and co.

by Nike333 Written Oct 10, 2003

This is a great place to watch any kind of sport on tv. It is also a fun place to be if nobody plays as the music is good and sometimes you see people dancing on the bar.
    If the "mesero" is still there, say hello from me...

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

La Barraca Orraca: Bar for young adults 2 !

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 13, 2014

La Barraca Orraca is a restaurant from the same "family" (same owners) as La Vitrola, perhaps a little bit more "elegant", and has a separate bar area (which LA VITROLA doesn't have) where you can go and sit & chat & drink if you don't want to have dinner. They have great music here, mostly from the 80's and early 90's, although it's NOT live music and you can't dance in here (at least I didn't see anyone dancing). And the piñas coladas with MIDORI are just as good as those from LA VITROLA, or even better!

NOTE: This place still exists but has been taken over by La Destileria, which is a restaurant-bar of a very similar style.

• Women's Travel

Elodias y sus Bondades: Beer place

by jumanuel Written Feb 24, 2006

The Elodias is a frequent place before you go out at night. This place has a really slow mood, and take some beers in a fun place.
    The place is not fancy at all, but beers are cheap and making friends in quite easy, I used to have good fun in this place.
    Let me know if you go - I love beer!!

Dress Code: NO WAY

• Study Abroad

• Quero's Profile Photo

Pata Negra: Go to the Condesa district for some trendy fun

by Quero Written Nov 17, 2004

The casual tone of the bars and restaurants in the Condesa district are strikingly different in terms of atmosphere from the sophistication and posh settings of those in the Polanco district. If you are looking for some exciting relaxation (a contradiction in terms?) head on out to Condesa.

The Pata Negra is a very popular tapas bar that fills up early. If you want a table, get there early--6 or 7--and if you want any elbow room at all, try to arrive before 11.

On Mondays and Tuesdays Pata Negra features live music--could be salsa, bossa nova, jazz, flamenco--performed by local groups.

Dress Code: Casual

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

around the Plaza: Plaza Garibaldi

by filipdebont Updated Oct 27, 2002

Plaza Garibaldi

Plaza Garibaldi : this is the Mecca of the Mariachis.
    If you are searching for feelings like sentiment, trumpet, violin, guitar, tequila, marimba, you can find it here.
    Many, many Mariachi-groups are waiting here to play their songs; they can play anything from the saddest song till the must pleasant one. Till deep in the night these Mariachis play and sing every tear-jerker, every thing what you want.
    You pay, they play, that is the way it goes.

Dress Code: No dress code, may be just a sweater because at night it can be a bit chilly.

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Mexico City Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Mexico City nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mexico City sightseeing.