La Hosteria de Santo Domingo, Mexico City

2.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Hosteria de Santo Domingo: Our oldest restaurant

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 26, 2008

This is supposed to be the oldest restaurant in Mexico City (opened in 1860). All the environment and decoration are typically Mexican -as well as the cuisine-, the service is good and the prices are slightly higher than the average, but the quality of the food is good.

Favorite Dish: They always say you should definitely try the Chiles en nogada which is a very typical Mexican dish and which they cook all year long (they're usually available only during a very short season, around September) and are very good. Those are chiles stuffed with a minced-meat-&-seeds/fruit mix and covered with a creamy sauce made with nuts. I personally don't like them but they say they are good there.

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

Great Quesadillas!: Hosteria de Santo Domingo

by AnnaLupilla Updated Jan 10, 2006

Classic Mexican restaurant founded on August 4, 1860. Its walls are decorated with photographs, lithographs and paintings, the most important being a mural by Antonio Albanes, representing the Plaza Santo Domingo in the 19th century. There is also a stained glass window on the ground floor, designed by the painter Jose Gomez Rosas “El Hotentote”, featuring the cover of the restaurant’s menu. The visitors’ book contains the signatures of many well-known personalities, including politicians, artists, intellectuals, businessmen and sportsmen.

Favorite Dish: I had quesadillas which were just GORGEOUS!!!

• la hosteria de santo domingo: Salmonella poisoning

by thomassydnsw Written Jun 25, 2014

Salmonella poisoning - Avoid as much as you can !

We where take to that place by our Mexican friends to try traditional Chiles en Nogada.
    The portion where big but the combination of meat and sweet cream and walnut sauce was not my type. That was not the worse part . Myself and my friend got extreme food positing - from eating there . ( we did not eat anything before or after that day). We both got diarrhea ,vomiting and fewer that lasted for 4 days and ruined that rest of our trip.
    I would never believe that this could happen in this class of the place.
    Be aware - it is not worth the risk.

Favorite Dish: Chiles en Nogada.

• La Hosteria de Santo Domingo: Careful with the ceviche!

by dandamano Written Nov 30, 2007

This is the place where me and my mum got food poisoning!

I have a very strong stomach and ate street food daily without problems but the ceviche at this restaurant made me very very ill!

avoid! (it tasted nice though)

:-)

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Hotels Near La Hosteria de Santo Domingo
3.5 out of 5 stars