Places to eat in Mexico City

• Restaurants
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mexico City

• melosh's Profile Photo

La Fonda del Recuerdo: Traditional?

by melosh Written Feb 21, 2015

For Mexico City tips for the "typical" places for food, music and atmosphere check VT ("Laura in Mexico" list of 30 places is a great place to start.) Like many very large cities it is possible to walk miles of streets and easily miss the best places with quality and tradition. Also, one can be disappointed if you fail to understand that not only are there typical places with distinctive styles, but there are typical times (Eat when and where Mexicans eat while in Mexico City (2-4pm for the big meal and 8-10PM for a light supper.).

The definition of typical can be strained by the evolution of places in response to changing Mexican tastes or tourist traffic. Also, you can find typical places for all the different regions of Mexico in this one large city. Be aware that tourist reviews can be misleading both as to the quality and character of a place due to misguided expectations.

One of my favorite places (I have been going there since 1968), La Fonda del Recuerdo, is a good example of a place I might avoid if I just read the worst reviews. "Touristy" --I cannot recall seeing any European or Gringo tourists, but the place is big and I could have missed them. (Latin American and Mexican tourists I have seen.) "Mariachi" -- the music characteristic of this place is Veracruzian, not Mariachi. "Average food" -- This place is best known for its (You guessed it.) Veracruzian seafood and cocktails -- so called Jarocho. Although there are many reviews saying the general Mexican food is great, I usually stick with the specialties of a particular restaurant so I couldn't say.

Two things I learned by a quick review of what comes up on the internet is that they now sometimes have a Mexican show "with Mariachi music and typical dancing", and that it is possible to go there on a Dinner tour. Now if you want to see tourists and possibly eat food chosen to fit tourist expectations and tastes, this might be the way to go.

Personally, I would suggest you go independently at 1:30 PM (just a little early) and plan to eat and enjoy for 2-3 hours. (Sunday afternoon would fit the most Mexican of traditions, but it most certainly will be too packed.) Order something Veracruzian. And if going alone or as a couple, I would suggest that try to connect to or somehow slip in with or be seated near a group of lively Mexicans (a group of Mexican office workers? an extended family? a party of Mexican tourists?) because solo dinning just does not seem natural for Mexico. Do not be shy. Even if you do not speak Spanish, ask neighbors (women would be best) in the restaurant for advice on the menu, or what you should drink. Or what the words of the music mean. If you are just a group of females avoid any bachelor men groups unless you desire what I would consider excessive and possibly misguided attention.

Favorite Dish: I and my dinning partners have enjoyed everything about this place.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Kolobok: Russian home made style food

by Laura_Mexico Written Oct 14, 2014

I think not many people might be interested in this tip, but I liked the place so much that I wanted to recommend it anyway. I tend to prefer to recommend places that serve local food, because if you're in Mexico you MUST eat as much Mexican food as you can: it's cheap, varied and delicious; but just in case you want to try something different or more "exotic", this is a cool place.

I had seen this little restaurant being recommended on TV, and I was curious about it even though I knew NOTHING about Russian cuisine -- and neither did it attract me much. It's not too far from where I live but I only made up my mind about giving it a try until today. The meal we had there was delish, I must say I was pretty pleased!!! The place is not pretentious at all, it's small but clean and nicely decorated; they make their own cake, bread and empanadas, and they serve truly great and home made style food.... Their menu isn't too extensive but the dishes they offer are genuinely Russian; the portions are pretty good, and it is not too expensive. We paid around 17 USD (240 MXN) per person and we even drank alcohol, so I think it was pretty decent for a 2-3 course meal. The service is very friendly and attentive and one of the owners' sons (100% Russian of course!! But with a great Spanish) was there taking care of everything. GREAT experience, I'll definitely go back as they also offer food to take away!

Favorite Dish: I had an empanada stuffed with spinach & cheese, wonderful. The main courses - beef stroganov and fried fish - were also quite tasty. The BEST thing they have is their honey cake for dessert, everyone who has gone there recommends it. Even the coffee is good and their home made bread is delicious! Looking forward to trying more of their cuisine.

• gwened's Profile Photo

Cambalache: a taste of Argentina steaks

by gwened Updated Jul 7, 2014

This is a rustic Argentinian hacienda with wood panelings, and old instruments from the pampas, like been there. It is now several restos with over 20 years in the country,and they import their meats from Argentina.

the ambiance is relax, family style with great continuos service pampered in a pampa place ::) you will love meat eaters lol! back again and again, great place.

Favorite Dish: argentinian juicy steaks lomo and chorizo cuts tenderloins with good red Argentinian wine superb

Cambalache arriving inside resto Cambalache

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Cluny: A great place for crepes

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 13, 2014

Cluny is specialized in crepes (yummy!!!) and French cuisine. The prices are somewhat high but affordable for special occasions or a treat. The atmosphere is very quiet and nice and European; it looks like a small place but seats many people and the attention is fair (at some point the waiters were REALLY SLOW but the service has improved). There are tables in the terrace too (the restaurant is placed in a small shopping mall though, not on plain street).

They have seasonal specials and also a 3-course meal + beverage [wine] at a fixed price (at lunch time, on week days). It is open everyday from noon to midnight (they close a bit earlier on Sundays).

This used to be my very favorite place to eat although I've made some other cool discoveries in the recent years, but I highly recommend it to those who like French food and especially CREPES... like me! They have removed some items from the menu and introduced a few new ones, but apparently most of their classic dishes are still available.

Favorite Dish: 3-Cheese crepes, or Bechamel (chicken-mushroom-white sauce) crepes (NOTE: apparently these are now called "Savoyarde" as the ingredients are the same but the "Bechamel" crepe is no longer in the menu). For dessert, try the Melba crepes or the 3-berry crepes (NOTE: As of 2014, I couldn't find the Melba crepes in the menu anymore! What a pity!). Cider is good for beverage.

On my very last visit, I had a Crepe St. Jacques which was simply AWESOME! It has seafood inside and white sauce & cheese on top. Highly recommendable, although it seemed to me that it was available only temporarily. If you still find it available, by all means order it. Picture was taken by my friend VTer chizz!

Cluny's terrace, Xmas 2013 Crepe Saint-Jacques!! DELICIOUS!
    • Women's Travel

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

El Jarocho: Great 100% genuine Mexican TACOS!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 13, 2014

If you want to know what a GENUINE taco is and enjoy this Mexican delicacy for real, this is a very good place to go. You will find only local people eating here, as it is not in a very touristy area and it's well known and frequented by people who live and work nearby because it's been on business for many decades now. I think this is a good thing, though, because you can be sure that the food there is 100% genuine and local.

They only cook tacos in this restaurant, many different kinds of them, but most of them are filled with different typical stews made with chicken, pork meat, pork rinds with sauce, vegetables.... They are a bit pricey but they are quite big and served with 2 tortillas each, so you can make 2 good-sized tacos out of one. I only ate 2 tacos (approx. USD $2 each) and it was enough to feel satisfied. It's true that you can find tacos that cost half that price in other restaurants or street stands, but it's worth to try these at least once because you won't find them as good elsewhere. They take credit cards too, which is a plus.

Favorite Dish: Tacos campechanos, which is the specialty of this place. They are made with hand-made tortillas filled with beefsteak meat and deep-fried ultra-crunchy pork rind (chicharron) bits. Put some salsa inside and you'll have one of the best tacos you can possibly ever taste. I also tried the rajas con crema (sliced green poblano peppers cooked with onion, cream and potatoes) tacos and they were GREAT.

On my second visit I also tried the tacos filled with chicken in mole sauce, and pork meat stewed with purslane (a spinach-like herb) leaves and green sauce.... this latter was awesome!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Churreria "El Moro": Churros & Chocolate!!! YUMMY!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 12, 2014

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: Late June 2010 this place was burnt down by a fire... and again I had to hear about it from a foreigner visiting the city at the time being, damn!! Anyway it was refurbished very quickly and it was reopened very quickly....*End of note*

If you haven't been to Mexico or met Mexican (or Spanish) people, you might not know what a CHURRO is. Let me try to explain: it's a sort of sweet bread made with a very simple dough (flour + water + butter/margarine), shaped in long & thin bars/sticks and deep fried in vegetable oil, all covered with sugar (and sometimes with a bit of cinnamon too). See the picture attached to know what they look like.

They're much better when eaten warm & freshly made... and MUCH better when accompanied by a cup of hot chocolate/coffee & milk/shake... However, you must know that, even though they're simple, it's complicated to reach the right consistency of the dough for them to be perfect and tasty... crispy on the outside and soft inside. You can easily find churros mostly anywhere (the ones they sell in Coyoacan are also VERY GOOD), but it's not that easy to find a place where they bake them REALLY good... Some places even serve churros with different fillings (chocolate, cajeta) but those are not the traditional ones and most of the times they're rather tasteless (they only get their taste from the filling)... But the people at this little restaurant really do know how to make them perfect... at least most of the time! I must admit that on one of my visits the churros were rather lousy -- but apparently the baker was only having a bad day! They have been great in all of my recent visits (2013).

Favorite Dish: Eating churros is very traditional in Mexico; we inherited such custom - as many others - from the Spaniards. There are many old places in downtown where you can eat them (many of them specialized in churros only).

Churreria "El Moro" is one of them. It was founded in 1935 and it's a medium-size local with lots of tables where you can go and eat churros 24 hours a day.... anytime you want a churro, it's open! They make them really good and they serve them with different types of hot chocolate: swiss, french, spanish, mexican... all of them with different tastes. They also serve coffee & milk, milkshakes, sodas... And lately they also serve tacos & tortas, if you want to have a different (i.e. not sweet) kind of dinner. However, their genuine specialty are churros con chocolate and you can have a great supper with a cup of chocolate + 4 churros for about 5 USD (American Dollars)!!! Enough to keep your stomach full for a while!

Great place which I recommend for whenever you want to have a light & informal supper at mid afternoon or even later at night... It's a family oriented place, and it's located right in front of the SAN JUAN DE LETRAN metro station.

PS.- I must thank my Italian ex boss and his wife who actually told me about this place (they were taken there by a Mexican friend of theirs)... Funny to have discovered such a traditional Mexican place thanks to foreign people! They loved it, by the way!

Delicious Churros!!! Meet them.... & EAT THEM!

Au Pied de Cochon: The best French restaurant in town

by Laura_Mexico Updated Oct 27, 2013

This place has been on business for many years now, and I had heard very good things about it but had never had the chance to visit it, as it's a quite expensive place. But we were treated by a friend of my hubby's so we took advantage of it and I was quite pleased.

This restaurant is located inside the INTERCONTINENTAL hotel. The decoration is very French and beautiful, the ambience is quite pleasant. The place isn't too big and it's usually crowded so a reservation is recommended, even during off hours (we finished our dinner after midnight and there was NOT EVEN ONE vacant table). This place is also very popular because it's open 24/7, 365 days a year, so you can come any time of the day or night. They have a HUGE wine selection (over 1600 different choices) and several different food choices as well (all kinds: seafood, fish, meat, duck, salads). Many dessert options available too. The quality and taste of the food is great, service was very good and speedy. Highly recommendable if you're not on a tight budget.... this is a real treat and you will probably spend 80-100 USD per person for a very good meal (alcoholic drinks included) but if you are able to splurge, by all means do it here.

Note for those who get here by car: the hotel's parking is VERY expensive (5 USD per hour), but if you are coming to the restaurant you will only pay 7-8 USD, no time limit. Just make sure to give your ticket to the waiter so you pay for it along with the check.

Favorite Dish: The grilled salmon with spinach and bernaise sauce was very good. The onion soup is a classic and a must.... the portion was quite big and the flavor was great. The desserts have a very good size and flavor as well: the "Ile flotant" (floating island) was really nice, and also the apple tart with vanilla ice cream.

• Luxury Travel

Les Moustaches: Great French food and oldish decor

by Laura_Mexico Written Oct 27, 2013

My hubby suggested this place for lunch for our anniversary. He said the food was very good and the environment was quiet (more middle-aged-people oriented than a family place, although there were families too). I suppose during the week days it's rather a place for businessmen and it is more crowded, but on Sunday it was pretty quiet and a reservation was not necessary.

The place is quite fancy indeed, although there is no dress code and people there were dressed rather casually, as it was a Sunday afternoon. Maybe during the week this changes a bit, but the staff was pretty relaxed so I suppose you're ok as long as you don't show up in shorts and flip flops. The place is decorated in an old fashioned style, but pretty ad hoc for the kind of restaurant. It has been working for almost 40 years and apparently it's very popular even though it's pricey. The quality of the food is very good, the service is very kind - our waiter was very helpful, friendly and he even played the harmonica for the audience - and the atmosphere was quite pleasant with piano music and no kids screaming or running around. I would definitely go back.

Favorite Dish: They offer a "tasting menu" where the restaurant's specialties are offered in smaller portions so you can taste all of them, for about USD $45 (beverages not included). My hubby was very pleased with the value-for-money, because the prices are overall high and this way you get to taste 4-5 different things instead of only 2-3 if you order "a la carte" for the same price. I opted out of that menu and tried other dishes. However, everything we both had was great: Beef Wellington, Beef in pepper sauce, Kiev chicken, Sea-bass Meuniere, and the onion soup.... ohhhhh la la, you definitely cannot miss that one. REALLY great. For dessert, the tasting menu offers a soufflee, which was good but not the kind of dessert I usually prefer. I ordered flambee strawberries with vanilla ice cream and they were good, although the portion was rather smallish for my taste (all of the portions are standard size so you can perfectly have a 3 course meal without feeling you ate a whole cow). An Irish coffee was the perfect closing (although VERY expensive).

We also had a couple of glasses of wine; they have different choices for whole bottles vs. by the glass, but the one I picked (a Paternina Rioja white wine) was excellent (as per the waiter's suggestion). They also serve Moet & Chandon champagne (quite pricey too). Our total bill came down to about USD $115 so that gives you an idea of what you will spend here: quite some money, so if you're on a budget this might not be a good place for you. For us this will be a once-a-year kind of place I think hehehehehe.

Restaurant's entrance - taken from their website
    • Luxury Travel

• gwened's Profile Photo

El Paisa: down to earth mexican food terrace

by gwened Written Mar 1, 2013

A very nice welcome with lots of Mexicans families there; nice ambiance and great conversation with many. The area is nice around a corner, and serve in the terrace in the back upper level. It is best reach here by car as I was taken with local friends.

One of the places to go when you know the area and want to get away from tourists. no webpage.

Favorite Dish: the alambre with meat and cheese melted sort like a pizza but chewy and yummy, pacifico beers and coffee expresso, first we had some chicharones and all good.

arriving at El Paisa

El Bajio: Mexican nice cuisine ,dark

by gwened Updated Mar 1, 2013

Very good mexican in a northern suburb of the city, near industrial area. The resto has great ambiance with lots of professional people eating and a nice sports tv all over. The service was friendly and the typical food very good
    another to find out more about ,its great. The location here was the original about 30 yrs ago.
    Open Hours: Monday to Friday from
    8:00 AM to 07:00 PM.
    Sat., Sun. and festive days from
    09:00 AM to 06:30 PM

Favorite Dish: cerdos Cualhatepec con moles, the spelling may not be right but it was pig in a dark watery sauce with black mole, see photo.Also, negra modelo beer, flan and coffee expresso.

arriving El Bajio resto inside El Bajio resto the sports bar football/soccer on all walls the dish of pork in black sauce and black mole

Puerto Lapice: Spain in Mexico at Lapice

by gwened Written Oct 7, 2012

This is from folks from Puerto Lapice in Ciudad Leal Spain, and Real Madrid followers lol!!! just my place. the ambiance is Spanish with Mexican to boot. Friendly folks nice conversations and good food.
    Located in the north of the city, but worth the trip if by car is always better here even with the traffic, it is inside the poligono industrial Vallejo; in the colonia Azcapotzalco
    open hours Monday to Saturday from 13h to 18h
    you have private valet parking on site.

Favorite Dish: had cochinillo crustilliante with rice ,vegetables, potatoes dish and wine from Argentina Terrazas. cochinillo is young pig done very nice with little sauces. the menu is mostly of dishes from Spain and some Mexican, the wines are from Spain or south America.

Main entrance to resto Puerto Lapice side entrance to Puerto Lapice

Konditori: International selection at Konditori

by gwened Written Oct 7, 2012

An international cuisine mixed with Mexican specialties and very good prices.
    Right off in Genova street in zona Rosa district with good food and good prices, a nice setting inside with good friendly service

The night views outside are lively and you have the choice of inside or in terrace outside. They have several restos in town
    open from 7h to 23h

Favorite Dish: had this time a filete Tampiqueño or steak dish with rice and vegetables done like the rgion of Tampico in Mexico. For some reason I took a picture of the dish here not seldom done.

looking out from table on genova st inside splendid Kondoriti filete Tampique��o dish at Konditori resto out towards Londres st

Los Panchos: authentic Mex at Panchos

by gwened Written Oct 7, 2012

Los Panchos have been around and it probably or not sure comes from el trio Los Panchos a popular Mexican trio of musicians of fame in all Latin America.

The ambiance is very Mexican with a load of office workers from nearby offices, the place is alike a cantina inside but very busy, you need to be here at lunch time to see it real local ambiance

open Mondays to Sundays from 9h to 22h
    I come by car and it has valet parking for clients.

Favorite Dish: i had several like tacos de carnitas, tacos de chicharron, enchiladas potosinas, stuffed pepper, then crumbling milk dessert with agua de jamaica and leche (flavored water with milk and flower of jamaica)

entrance to Los Panchos menu carte at Los Panchos

Restaurante Tezka: basque mexican tezka

by gwened Written Oct 7, 2012

This is basque cuisine from Spain fusion with Mexican specialties of high quality gourmet cuisine. The place is an old Mexican house of the original pinky one in Zona Rosa district (pink zone), next tothe BW Royal hotel in Amberes between Liverpool and chapultepec. It is a restaurant of the hotel too.

It has been here since 1994 and I frequent it since 1998. It has won several culinary awards too numerous to mention but it is good for sure.

The wine bodega is huge and a large choice of Spanish wines, as well as others.

Favorite Dish: As I have been doing a lot of seafood fish dishes I try the
    Cochinillo confitado con crema de vinagre balsámico con frutos del bosque, crujiente de taco de leche y puré de castañas , which I can only translate as pork confit in a cream of balsamic vinegar with forest fruits, hard milk crunchies and purée of castaigne,
    then a Fondante de Txocolate con espejo de salsa de fresa
    or fondant chocolate with a mirror of strawberry sauce
    ending with a red wine of San Vicente 2004, Senorio San Vicente, Rioja.

main entrance Tezka Restaurant main door to resto Tezka

Los Panchos: Traditional, home made Mexican food

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jul 24, 2012

If you want to go to a very typical, everyday place to eat genuine Mexican food surrounded by local people instead of going to a touristy restaurant, this is a nice place to see what the real thing is like -- office employees having lunch (or families during the weekend), national tourists or people who used to live in Mexico City and moved out but come back on short visits are the kind of people you will find here, as well as home made REAL Mexican food. They have the kind of food we would eat in our everyday life and even at home, not fancy dishes but just common stuff - very tasty and well served though. They also have home made flavored water (made with fresh fruit).

This restaurant has been on business since 1945. The decoration is typically Mexican as well (especially a wall with views of the city painted on it), the restaurant is quite big (but is usually crowded) and they even have a little terrace on the 1st floor.

Favorite Dish: I liked the chicken broth with lots of stuff inside (rice, chicken, avocado), very nice. Caldo tlalpeño is nice if you like spicy stuff -- it's chicken broth with a lot of stuff but also chili, so it's very hot. Tacos (especially those stuffed with cecina -- a salty kind of meat) are very good too. The portions are generous so don't ask for too many dishes, or you will not be able to finish them all!!

On our last visit we had an Arrachera meat cut and Enchiladas de mole and they were both AWESOME. The portions were very big too and the food very tasty.

They also have these things called "petroleras" which are the specialty of the house and which are good..... they're a sort of tortilla, just a bit thicker and VERY big (about the size of a plate), with different stuff on top: beans, cheese, meat, etc.... They make for an entire meal, so think twice before asking for a second dish before or after eating your petrolera!!!

And if you are still able to have a dessert, by all means do: they all look very yummy, but we picked the corn bread -- which is served warm and with 3 ice cream scoops on the side (vanilla - chocolate - strawberry): it was HEAVENLY! Very very nice, highly recommended!

Mexico City Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
JW Marriott In Mexico City
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Mexico City Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mexico City locals.
Map of Mexico City