Places to eat in Mexico City

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mexico City

Cafe El Popular: Good & cheap food in downtown

by Laura_Mexico Updated Apr 26, 2012

I got very good reviews about this place from other 2 VTers, but whenever possible I try not to write one of my own until I go and see the place by myself. I once stopped for cake at this place but I didn't think that was enough to write a review. Back then I thought the cake was so-so only, and so was the service.

So I finally got the chance to have dinner at this small restaurant in downtown and yes, I think it's a nice place to eat for a very decent price. I saw other foreigners here (besides the VTers I was with and who fell in love with this place) so apparently it's a tourist favorite as well, although it's not a touristy place at all. Since it's not a chain restaurant, you will only find mexican home-made food for breakfast, lunch or dinner, in combos or "a la carte". The place is not too big, but they have an adjacent local (even smaller I think) which is open 24/7. The "bigger" part of the restaurant closes at 10:30 - 11 PM.

I still think that the service isn't great and the place is just a small cafeteria where you can have some local food with lots of local people and pay a very reasonable price for it. So don't expect gourmet stuff or anything like that, just a regular home-made meal (but I know that, as a foreigner, one does appreciate this kind of place a lot while traveling).

Favorite Dish: I had some tamales, which weren't the best I've had but were OK. One of the VT visitors had "tacos dorados" which she loved (hard/crispy tacos filled with beef, topped with cream & cheese & guacamole on the side). They did look good.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

El Jolgorio Cibeles: Fun International Flavours

by Jetgirly Written Feb 25, 2012

One day I was walking around the Roma and Condesa neighbourhoods, and I realized it was lunch time. I approached La Glorieta Cibeles, a roundabout with restaurants skirting the edges, and started checking out menus. A few different places looked interesting, but when I saw that El Jolgorio had a number of different vegetarian items on the menu, all inspired by different ethnic cuisines, I knew I'd found lunch.

I chose to sit outside on the patio, as it had a nice view of the sidewalk and the nearby Turibus stop. People-watching galore. I was immediately greeted by a friendly server and given a menu. I opted to have a red wine cocktail and the vegetarian sandwich, both of which are shown in my photos. The cocktail was great and I've tried to re-create it unsuccessfully at home a number of times. The sandwich was also good. The bread was hearty and full of seeds, it was absolutely stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, spinach and fontina cheese, and it was refreshing to see a different kind of side salad (grated carrots and beets topped with seeds, served with a homemade creamy herb dressing).

El Jolgorio's location is great for anyone visiting the neighbourhoods of Condesa or Roma, or for people taking in the city on the great Turibus. It is located right at the “Fuente de Cibeles” (Plaza Madrid) Turibus stop, which is also the transfer point to the south Turibus route. The menu has a number of vegetarian dishes, but also lots of meat dishes, and flavours range from local Mexican tastes to Indian curries and Italian favorites. There is something for everyone on the menu, making it a good stop for families and groups.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Cafe El Popular: Mexican Food Fast... Twenty-Four Seven!

by Jetgirly Written Feb 25, 2012

Visiting Cafe el Popular is actually listed as the #3 Thing to Do in Mexico City on a popular travel site. It's true... this little hole-in-the-wall diner-style restaurant certainly brings in crowds of people, especially on weekend mornings when local families queue outside for their chance to take in a fresh, hot breakfast along with one of the cafes beautiful pastries. The cafe is also popular with young adults and travelers looking for good food late at night, as it's one of the few places in the city open round the clock.

I ate at Cafe el Popular once in December 2011, and once a few years earlier. Both times I was alone and sat at the counter, where I had a good view of not only the kitchen and the front of house, but also other diners (thank goodness, as I wouldn't have known how to handle that coffee on my own!). Your meal begins with coffee. In all of my life and all of my travels I've never had coffee served like this before! The server will bring you the coffee in a carafe. It's deep and dark and almost as strong as espresso. She'll pour it slowly into your glass until you ask her to stop, then she'll top it with hot water or hot milk. This coffee is STRONG so go easy! You'll also get a freshly-baked roll while you wait for your entree. As a vegetarian I opted for scrambled eggs with refried beans. The eggs were scrambled nicely, the beans were good too, and I left feeling ready to take on my day! For lovers of Mexican breakfasts, Cafe el Popular is a great, central restaurant where you can get your desayuno fix at any time of day or night!

Los Vegetarianos: Vegetarian Delights

by Jetgirly Written Feb 25, 2012

Located at the top of a narrow stairway just blocks from the Zocalo, Los Vegetarianos is a health-conscious restaurant dishing up meatless versions of Mexican favorites at prices that even the poorest backpacker can afford. Don't worry though- you'll likely share the restaurant with businessmen on their lunch break and local families too... it's cheap but good!

Los Vegetarianos is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I like to visit at lunch for their comida corrida- a fixed-price, three-course menu featuring a salad, hot entree and dessert, along with a beverage of your choice. On my most recent visit I started with a fruit salad, which came topped with crunchy popped amaranth, and then had soy "tacos" in corn tortillas alongside baked chayote. For dessert I had a peach in sweet syrup, and I drank the agua fresca (fruit water) of the day. All of the food was good, the service was friendly, and it was nice to sit in one of the tables by the window to watch life pass by below.

This would be a great restaurant to visit with children, as the daily menu is prominently displayed on a table when you enter, so children could point to the dishes they'd like to try.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Melia Mexico Reforma Restaurant: Café Miró

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 5, 2012

L'Albufera is the hotel's Star-Diamond awarded restaurant.
    Café Miró is a large, colorful venue featuring extensive breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets.
    In a city boasting a cuisine known throughout the world, Meliá Mexico Reforma luxury hotel offers distinct dining options that will treat every guest with the very best in Mexican and international cuisine. All of Meliá Mexico Reforma's dining venues are decorated with mood-enhancing elements that add to the culinary experience of all guests. Service is never overlooked-trained and friendly staff meets your every expectation.

You can watch my 5 min 16 sec HD Video Mexico City Melia Reforma Hotel part 3 out of my Youtube channel.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Salon Luz: A typical mexican "Cantina"

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 4, 2012

This isn't exactly a pub but has a very similar concept: a typical place to go drink alcohol and eat some finger food, and these are called cantinas in Mexico.

This place has been working since 1914. You can find Mexican food in here, but they are specialized in German dishes (especially Frankfurt sausages). You can also have some fine meat cuts, seafood, etc. Right now (summer/autumn) they have some seasonal traditional Mexican dishes which are quite good and will only be available for 3-4 months. These "specials" change according to the season, but you can eat their typical dishes all year round.

They also have special offers on Wednesdays and Fridays, like 50% off the second drink you order, combos with soup + main course + dessert, etc. The decoration of the place is simple but cozy and they usually display football matches on their TVs. They also have a few tables outside (on a sort of terrace) in case you want to smoke -- which is not allowed inside the bar -- and it's very nice to sit down to have a drink here during a hot spring/summer evening.

Favorite Dish: The sangria (prepared with red wine and vodka) is quite good but it gets to your head QUICKLY! But it's refreshing and tasty. My hubby and a friend's husband had a mezcal called Gusano rojo which was also very good according to them.

We had some Tostadas (crunchy/hard tortillas) with Zick de venado (cold deer meat) on top: this is a dish originary from Yucatan state (in the south east of the country, where Chichen-Itza ruins are located) which is rare and therefore expensive but good. Also, the Frankfurt sausages should not be missed when visiting this place.

• Seniors

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

La Esquina del Viejo Barrio / El Kiosko: YUMMY ice cream in a GREAT place!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 30, 2011

This is a recent discovery I made while strolling Coyoacan (please see my THINGS TO DO tips!), I believe it's been there for a bit more than a year now and it has become really popular.

Anyhow, I decided to go in because it was crowded on Saturday everning (the weather not being particularly warm) and because the people coming out from there with their big ice creams made me and my companion crave for one, LOL.... They looked really delicious. My companion was a Banana Split lover so we thought we might as well have one.

There are very few tables inside and they were all occupied, as there is also a section of this same shop where they serve coffee & donuts, so it was the perfect place to relax and either drink something refreshing or warm yourself up with a hot coffee and chat while looking at the people passing by. So it's very recommendable if you want to make a pause during your touristic visit to this nice area of town!

Favorite Dish: We finally took a seat and ordered our banana split (this is self service, you go and pay and then pick up your stuff at another counter), and I must say it was REALLY GOOD. The price was very reasonable, the size of the portion was MORE than enough for the 2 of us, the taste of the ice cream was really good and you're allowed to choose your own combination of flavours in whatever specialty you ask for, and they have A LOT of different flavours to choose from!!! So we were both very pleased with our visit to this new place and he agreed it would be a good idea to let everyone on VT know about this place.... go have an ice cream if you have the chance!! My favorites are CHEESE (just cheese, nothing added although there are other flavors which mix cheese + fruits) and MARACUYA (passion fruit)...!!!

Check this out: the place has different names -- inside it says it's called La Esquina del Viejo Barrio but on the outside you might see Cafe del Viejo Barrio or even El Kiosko painted on the wall. It's the same place though!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Bar La Opera: One of the oldest cantinas in town....

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 27, 2011

This is one of the oldest cantinas in town, a very traditional place which is also very beautiful and has a good environment and food. They claim that Pancho Villa came here at the beginning of the XX century and shot his gun during his visit, leaving a hole in the ceiling which all the waiters will proudly point out to you.

Favorite Dish: On my last visit I had a roast beef with mashed potatoes which was REALLY good, and a chef suggestion: it wasn't on the regular menu so you may not find this particular dish but one of my friends asked for something else (a Tampiqueña beef dish) and he said the quality and taste of the food was excellent as well. The flan for dessert is also very good.

• bigmutt's Profile Photo

Jin San Shabu Shabu: Pretentious, Overpriced, Mediocre Food

by bigmutt Written Jul 23, 2011

Best part of restaurant is the fish tank and the restrooms. Worst part is the management, with the actual meal coming a close second. Staff on the floor outnumbered the customers. Very uncomfortable gaggle of waiters, managers and waitresses always hovering within 2 or 3 meters. We had drinks, appetizers, salads and main dishes but no dessert or coffee, since by the end we just wanted to get out into the fresh air.
    Everything extremely overpriced, which is likely why they list their full menu online but without prices.
    You can see that a great deal of expense went into their website design, their dishware, fishtank and location (high-rent district). No money left for a creative chef & quality ingredients.

Here's just one example: Vietnamese salad consists of ONE typical fresh spring roll, cut into 6 little slices & served VERY fancy on a too-long plate, drizzled with a bit of sauce and a tiny sliver of strawberry on each piece: ten bucks. I normally eat 3 of these as an appetizer at Vietnamese restaurants for about a dollar each.
    And these "salad" dishes arrived exactly when the hot, main dishes arrived !

Finally came a spirited & prolonged argument at bill-paying time because of mistake they'd made on bill; followed by an insistent plea from a WAITER about an insufficient tip, just as we were heading out the door. He presented us with a hastily-scribbled paper showing that since the meal was a hundred dollars, the tip needed to be minimum 15%. Incredible cheek !! We laughed about that and the slimy manager's argument all the way back to our car.
    Worst restaurant experience in 10 years of living & dining in Mexico City.

Favorite Dish: Bottled mineral water

• Brassica Restaurant: Top prime rib in Mexico

by ParisMedina Updated Apr 4, 2011

The great thing about Brassica is the service. The chef/owner is always their pleasing the customers and for me the food takes some of the home sickness away. During lunch you always see executives from corporate Santa Fe having their power lunches but the 2 times I've been their at night the ambiance is relaxed and romantic.

Favorite Dish: Their house specialty is the prime rib, and they really know how to make it. I thought it was soft, flavorful and extremely juicy. They also serve a berry crisp which is really good.

• Disabilities

• Brassica Restaurant: Try the dry aged beef

by MarianaM Updated Apr 4, 2011

What I really like about the restaurant is the down to earth service they offer in an elegant but modern restaurant. The owner/chef is allways their which makes a big diference in my eyes. Santa Fe is an up and comming area which was in need of a high quality restaurant. The decor and ambiance allways relax me making the dinning expirience a greatlly enjoyable one.

Favorite Dish: Every time I´ve been there I´ve tried different things and they have never disapointed me. If I had to choose ad go for the dry aged beef or their prime rib. It's defenativly for meat lovers, although they do serve lobster, fresh fish, crabs and many other shellfish.

• Wine Tasting

• Quero's Profile Photo

Restaurante vegetariano YUG: Veggie eaters welcome

by Quero Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's not easy to find veggie food in meat-crazy Latin America. But this little place is a real find for those of us who get offered only salad, salad and more salad at mainstream restaurants.

Located in the Zona Rosa district Yug is open open Monday to Friday from 7:00 am 10 pm, Saturdays from 8:30 am to 8 pm, Sundays from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

Maremma (Bosques)

by flyingpig Updated Apr 4, 2011

Maremma is an upscale Italian restaurant located in the Parque Duraznos mall. The pride of the place is its wine list - which personally I didn't find soooo impressive.

The menu offers an extensive choice of starters, main dishes and desserts - all tasty and made with fresh ingredients (the tomato sauce is delicious for instance). As dessert I recommend their "chocolate cake" served warm with a scoop of chocolate ice-cream.

Service is excellent and prices high - count over $1000 for a dinner for two with some drinks.

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

El Pimenton (Polanco/Anzures)

by flyingpig Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you want the best Spanish food in Mexico City in the friendliest atmosphere then search no longer and go directly to El Pimenton.

This recently opened restaurant (February 2003) is located just behind the hotel Camino Real in Leibnitz 65. The decoration style is resolutely elegant and minimalist.

You'll be warmly welcomed by Gelines and Pepita who are extremely knowledgeable about the specialties of Spanish cuisine - don't ignore their suggestions.

I recommend the tasty starters - including the delicious "empanadas" and the original "pimientos rellenos de bacalao". For dessert do not miss the ice cream of "frutas del bosque" - simply amazing.

Prices are very reasonable for this level of quality in the service and ingredients. In one word: don't miss it - you won't regret it.

• deadites's Profile Photo

Hacienda de Los Morales: Hacienda de Los Morales

by deadites Updated Apr 4, 2011

The atmosphere of this restaurant is both rustic and romantic. Definitely a place for any special occasion or just to feel the old style glamour of Mexico.

Favorite Dish: Camarones Ixtoc con huitlacoche

Latest: Mar 5, 2014
JW Marriott In Mexico City
Latest: Apr 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Mexico City Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mexico City locals.
Map of Mexico City