Places to eat in Mexico City

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mexico City

Konditori: Italian & International food

by Laura_Mexico Updated Mar 12, 2011

This is a pretty quiet place with tables both in the inside of the restaurant and outside on the sidewalk, which makes it quite european (like many other restaurants in the Polanco area). The prices are high but acceptable and the atmosphere and service are very good. Recommended for a date (that's how I got to know it, LOL)

Update 2010: I had not been to this place in YEARS. This time I visited the one located in the Zona Rosa area (my first experience had been in Polanco). It was a TOTAL disappointment and I wouldn't recommend it anymore for people to go there. Unfortunately another VTer (Diageva) was with me and I felt very bad that she had to witness the bad quality & service of this place nowadays. Ok, the damage was done but I decided I had to come and update my tip in order to warn others.

We just came here for coffee & cake. They brought me a tray full of cake slices that looked very yummy and I picked one. When they brought it I found out there was some fungus growing on one of its sides.... ughhh!!! And when I told the waiter he said it was not true... I refused to eat it and he took it away, and then had to offer me a different kind of cake since apparently this was the last slice of the kind I had requested at first -- no wonder!!! Who knows how long it had been standing there...... I also ordered a coffee and when I asked for some milk to put in it they brought me a little cup with SPOILED, sour milk. I was lucky to try it before I added it to my coffee (was already afraid after the cake thing LOL)! They changed it and apologized saying that the weather had been too hot and maybe that's why the milk spoiled fast outside of the fridge... DUH. Then put it inside the goddamn fridge!!!!

Anyway, my friend asked for a struddel cake with vanilla ice cream, and the ice cream was completely melted. When she complained about it the waiter said that was its "optimal" consistency.... WTF?!?!!?! They didn't even offer to change it. She didn't want to make a big fuss about it so she ate it like that, but she wasn't pleased, of course -- it looks like they forgot to put EVERYTHING inside the fridge and then they blamed the hot weather....

We obviously didn't get any kind of freebie to make up for this or a discount in our bill.... Not nice. So even though the 2nd cake I asked for was great, I wouldn't really recommend that you come here! There are many other cafes to choose from in this area......

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti Alfredo, it's delicious!!

Their Konditori cake (made with goat cheese, yoghurt and berries) is also VERY good..... but be careful with ANY food here (read section above if you haven't yet).

Cafe Bar Genova: One of many cafes in Zona Rosa

by Laura_Mexico Updated Mar 12, 2011

After our bad experience at the Konditori restaurant (look for that one on my other tips if you want to get a recent review -- and not a very positive one, at that), VTers Diageva, cinthya_in_victoria and myself decided to go elsewhere for our 2nd VT meet during Diageva's stay in Mexico City. We were still in the Zona Rosa area so we entered another cafe with tables on the sidewalk (just a block away from Konditori or so) and crossed our fingers for it to be a decent place LOL.

We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food here. The service was good, the food was yummy and the portions quite generous. The prices are reasonable for the area and kind of restaurant (not too classy but not too modest). I would definitely recommend it for a coffee break or even lunch/supper/dinner if you're visiting or staying nearby.

Favorite Dish: The Flautas (hard shell / deep fried tacos) were VERY good. Flautas can be stuffed with either barbacoa, chicken or beef; these had chicken inside, cream & grated cheese on top, guacamole and refried beans on the side. They were VERY yummy and the plate was fairly big!

Cakes are also good here, they don't have a huge variety but I had a mil hojas (millefeuilles) which was VERY tasty.

With Cinthya & Eva @ Cafe Genova!
    • Women's Travel

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Mexico Lindo: Mexico Lindo at Teotihuacan

by Mr.Sparkle Updated Feb 27, 2011

There are not many eating options near Teotihuacan, you can go to the cave restaurant, which is very expensive, or do the super cheap food stalls. There is however another option just outside the pyramids. There is a reasonably priced restaurant called 'mexico lindo'.
    The staff is quite nice, the food good, the price is reasonable, the plates are pretty big.

After eating and pay, the staff let us try on sombreros and other Mexican wear so we could take photos. Then they gave us some free tequila. Very cool place! Highly recommended.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Cafe El Jarocho: Mexican coffee at a Mexican traditional shop!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 31, 2011

This tiny coffeeshop called Cafe El Jarocho was founded in 1953 and has grown quite a bit ever since. From its original and unique location in the central area of Coyoacan (see my Things to do tips) it has grown to 7 shops in the southern part of town and it continues to expand itself. A family business managed by 3 generations now, it has evolved to a very well known place to stop by, buy a coffee and a donut and take them with you while strolling the surrounding area.

As per an article read in one of our national newspapers online (El Universal), this coffeeshop used to sell 20-30 coffees a day, while nowadays the number has raised to 1,000-2,000; also, they sell around 200-500 donuts a day. The quality of the coffee is excellent (as well as the bread/pastries sold there) and the prices are surprisingly low. You will hardly find a cheaper coffee in town. And as per the same article, even a Harvard survey has stated this to be one of the places not to be missed while visiting Mexico City! This is the only place where you will find these shops!

Favorite Dish: Besides the regular coffees, they also sell tea (wide variety), chocolate, sweet bread (especially donuts) and ground coffee for you to prepare at home, which they roast & grind on site. My favorite is the cappuccino with a good hearty chocolate doughnut.

This has become a very traditional place for people who visit the Coyoacan area, where most of the shops are located. The original location is in the corner of Cuauhtemoc and Allende streets, a couple of blocks away from Plaza Hidalgo in the heart of Coyoacan. You will not find chairs & tables to sit down and drink your coffee, but rather a bar to shop-&-go and a bench or two out on the sidewalk where you can sit and relax while drinking your coffee -- or just take it to go and enjoy it somewhere else!

Come drink coffee at El Jarocho!!
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Cantina Cibeles: For business or for pleasure....

by Laura_Mexico Written Jul 2, 2010

This is another typical Mexican cantina -- my man knows a lot of them and he has taken me to visit many. The concept is the same: you have 3-4 drinks and then you can eat "for free". They have a 3 course meal with MANY options for the 2nd and 3rd dishes... but the first one is actually formed by 2 dishes: a small entry and a soup, so it's almost a 4-course meal. The drinks are very decently served (ie. with a lot of alcohol in them LOL) and the food is excellent, quality and taste wise. They also have a few cake choices for dessert, which are very good as well.

They have live music on Thursday and Friday afternoon, and they are also open on weekends (which isn't usually the case for cantinas).

Favorite Dish: The caldo de camaron (shrimp soup) as 1st dish; shrimp cocktail or rajas con crema (poblano chili stripes with onion and cream, eaten in a taco) as 2nd; and arrachera meat as 3rd. Even the french fries were fine.... But of course these are only a couple of options out of their very long menu, and everything looked very attractive. Highly recommendable if you're staying in the Polanco/Anzures area.

Very decent prices if you consider that you eat a lot and also have a drink for the same price. It was my man and I, we had 3 drinks each, and we only paid 30 USD for the 2 of us (meal included + dessert which is extra).

Focolare: A delight for foreigners

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jul 2, 2010

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: As of late June 2010 this place was closed :( I don't know if it's temporary because the building remains the same and it still has the restaurant's name at the door... but I've walked by twice and it has been out of service both times. It's such a pity... I hope it goes back to service soon! *end of note*

It is my understanding that Focolare is a classic in Mexico City - the restaurant has been on business for 55 years - and is highly recommended even by/for locals. However, I had never had the opportunity of visiting this place up to this day. Now, due to the visit of VT member stamporama to my hometown I decided to take him and his family there, hoping that the place wouldn't let us down...!!! Fortunately, it did not and I think it even exceeded their expectations - and mine too, I must say.

This place is decorated as an inner patio with typical Mexican items all over, and there is a small stage for the live performance they have every night at 9 PM. This show includes mariachi and other typical Mexican music as well as pre-hispanic and regional dances. It's about 2 hours long and the only thing I can say against it is that you can no longer have a normal conversation once the show starts because the music and the dances never stop and they are loud. Other than that, the performance is very attractive and well set up. The female singer who performs with the mariachi even knows songs from many different countries and makes the visitors remember their homeland by singing them depending on the visitor's nationality. This is something I had never seen in other places with similar shows and I think it is pretty cool, as it makes the customers feel welcome & important.

This restaurant is mainly frequented by foreigners and they seem to have a great time and like the food as well. Because of this it may seem to be a bit of a "touristy" place and this turns it into a BIG opportunity for commerce: all of the performers try to sell their CDs to the audience and there's also a photographer who will hand you sarapes and sombreros if you agree to have a picture taken (not for free, of course). However, they aren't really annoying and if you don't want to buy anything they won't pester you.

This place tends to get crowded, but if you arrive there by 8 PM there will still be plenty of space available. So the earlier the better. I also want to point out that the service was very good, the waiters were pleasant and attentive and the dancers/performers also seemed to enjoy their work a lot, which added to the nice atmosphere.

They're open everyday from 7:30 AM to midnight (so you can have breakfast and lunch there too) and they have a separate bar area too, next to the entrance.

Favorite Dish: We ordered several different dishes so my guests could try a variety of genuine Mexican food: chapulines (fried grasshoppers, with avocado sauce on the side and tortillas to make tacos with them... they tasted pretty good), tacos filled with barbacoa and carnitas, arrachera (beef meat) and enchiladas de mole -- which sounded pretty exotic to Bob so he decided to try them and I think he liked them. The dishes I tried were ok -- nothing to die for but pretty decent and not overpriced. They also have a good variety of spirits.

As for the desserts.... I would NOT recommend them: there's a quite poor variety and the quality isn't as good as it is to be expected in a place like this, not to mention that they don't really have typical Mexican desserts available (such as rice pudding, flan, baked/fried bananas) but rather simple cakes and ice creams instead.

NOTE: there is a cover fee of MXP $90 per person (about $9 USD). The prices of the dishes & beverages are pretty much average but you have to take this extra fee into account too.

Night show @ Focolare and general decoration Bob (stamporama), his family and me @ Focolare!

Los Danzantes: Mexican food with a touch from Yucatan

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jun 10, 2010

Los Danzantes is a very nice place where they cook great dishes with a Yucatecan touch. They also manufacture their own Mezcal (alcoholic beverage similar to tequila) and red wine.

It's located right in the central part of Coyoacan area - right on the square - and it's a good choice to have a good meal in a nice place while spending a casual & relaxed weekend around Coyoacan (even if you're dressed up in short pants and t-shirt, it doesn't matter cause they don't have a dress code). It has tables in a covered terrace surrounded by cactus, which allows you to see the people walking by and the lively environment in this square of Coyoacan.

Favorite Dish: The Arrachera meat is wonderful (with "charro" style beans and french fries, YUMMY!); we also had some shrimps coated with coconut and a sweet & sour (fruity) sauce which were quite good.

• Wine Tasting

• patricia1.nunez's Profile Photo

el facon parrilla argentina: Try argentinian

by patricia1.nunez Written Apr 6, 2010

Very centrally located just 2 blocks away from Palacio de las Bellas Artes, you´ll find this very cozzy and intimate restaurant that also serves a a library at the second floor, lighting is not very vivid so that gives you the impression that you are taking dinner regardless of the time... Grill is just right at the entrance so you can smell the great cuts they offer, they also serve pasta, salad and appetizers like classic empanadas. Great and quick service. good prices as well.

Favorite Dish: Vacio and churrasco steaks . great house salad dressing.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

La parrilla de Don Asado: Pizza, meat and more!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 1, 2009

This place was suggested by VTer pedroebc for our 3rd VT meet. Everyone supported the idea because the place seemed to have good food and very decent prices. I had never heard about it but it was a very good suggestion! The place is rather small, with a rustic environment and the glass doors are always open so sometimes it feels as if you were on a terrace, especially if you sit close to the windows.

The specialty here is Uruguayan style meat cuts and also pizza baked in wooden ovens. They also have some salads and sandwiches as well as some entrees, such as Empanadas (crispy dough filled with meat, ham & cheese, corn kernels, etc.). The portions are VERY generous and the prices are more than reasonable. They have sodas, lemonade and coffee to drink, and wine and beer as alcoholic options. Ohh and the bread they give you to eat along with your food is REALLY tasty. It was a fairly good and cheap dinner! Music isn't too loud so you can talk decently. Service was OK and they also have valet parking - although my friend and I never found him. This area is complicated to find a parking spot so valet parking may be the best option. If you come here by public transportation, even better.

There are other 2 locations of this same restaurant: one in Condesa neighborhood, which is currently being refurbished (Dec 2009) as per their website, and the other one in San Angel. See website for further details.

There are more pics of the VT meet that took place here in my Travelogues!

Favorite Dish: The empanadas were very good. The meat was so so...... I ordered a "Vacio uruguayo" and it was ok but not too tasty. The other cuts seemed to be better (especially Claus', it was a stuffed Arrachera and it looked really good). Cinthya ordered a burger that was HUGE and the fries seemed to be very tasty too. Then I had a dessert called Chaja which is a cake stuffed with whipped cream and diced peach, and with some more whipped cream and meringue chunks on top. It was HUGE but it was quite good!

VTers eating & drinking!!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Food stands: Eat in the street

by cachaseiro Updated Nov 30, 2009

Street food is one of the really big treats in Mexico City.
    You can find it in most parts of the city and it is freshly cooked in front of you and delicious aswell as very cheap.
    This is in my opinion one of the biggest musts when visiting Mexico city.

Favorite Dish: Blue tortillas are great.
    You can get them with various toppings.

My favorite kitchen Street food.

Mexico Magico: Mexican food in the heart of Polanco

by Laura_Mexico Updated Nov 10, 2009

**NOTE** This place is no longer on business :( I just passed by where it used to be and I no longer found it. However, I still want to keep the tip alive in case it has been relocated or is reopened in the future, or as a reference for someone who's looking for it and is puzzled because they couldn't find it anymore.

---------------------------------

If you want to try some real and good Mexican food, this is a brand new discovery I made thanks to my ex boss.... He saw this restaurant was highly recommended in some gastronomic reviews, so we visited it and were very pleased.

First off, the prices were REALLY DECENT considering it is placed in a commercial passage where some expensive restaurants & boutiques are located. They have entrees starting at $18 MXP (something like $1.50 USD), a good variety in the menu, and a nice BIG dish of meat for only $115 MXP (about $10 USD)!!! The variety in the desserts department is what they lack, under my point of view.

You can find a big offer of Mexican dishes, the quality of the food is very good, and the service is fair. They have tables both inside the local and outside on the sidewalk (like a European style terrace). Only problem in this whole area (Polanco) is the lack of place to park your car, so you better get there on a taxi cab or walking.

Favorite Dish: There was a Festival de la Arrachera when we visited Mexico Magico, so they were featuring arrachera meat (a special cut we have in Mexico, thin but very soft and juicy) cooked in 6-7 different ways. There were 3 of us, we all asked for arrachera in different styles, and the 3 of them were EXCELLENT. Entries were also good, good sized, drinks are as expensive as in any other restaurant, and the only thing my ex boss did not like was the coffee..... Too light for him, but he's italian!! And his wife did not think it was so bad. So unless you're italian, you might like it!

Caffe Toscano: Little cafe on the sidewalk - Condesa area

by Laura_Mexico Written Oct 4, 2009

This is a small cafe on the sidewalk like so many others in the Condesa area.... I liked it because it was right on a corner and across the street from a big park in the Hipodromo Condesa area, so it didn't feel as crowded as other places which are crushed next to one another where you can't even walk on the sidewalk and among the tables. They have a few tables inside but of course on a warm evening it's nicer to have your meal or coffee on the "terrace" / outdoors. The only bad thing about it is that people are allowed to smoke, while this is forbidden inside the restaurant.

This place has coffee & tea, some pastries to go along with those, and also italian style panini and crepes. The portions are rather small and the prices are a bit high, but that is rather the norm in this area. My man and I had not eaten all day long so we were very hungry and maybe this is why the food we had here seemed pretty tasty to me. However I felt it was good enough to recommend it for any person staying or hanging out in this area, as it is a good option for an afternoon snack or a light supper while enjoying the atmosphere, reading a book or a newspaper, or just watching people pass by.

Favorite Dish: We had a "Toscano" panino (with prosciutto, mozzarella, olive paste and dehydrated tomatoes) which was fairly good - it was toasted/grilled so it was very crunchy and tasty. They also have a good variety of tea blends which you can have either hot or iced. I had a strawberry-kiwi iced tea which was very good... the only bad thing is that the glass was just a bit too small LOL.

My man ordered a hot chocolate and I must say that it wasn't great, it had way too much sugar in it so you couldn't really appreciate the taste of the chocolate itself. I suppose their coffee choices are better -- at least they smelt very nice and they also have iced and hot coffee options to choose from.

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• CarlGustaf's Profile Photo

Vips: try de Pie de Helado sabor Limón!

by CarlGustaf Written Aug 8, 2009

There are many diners and breakfast places in Mexico City. The most famous must be Sanborns, but one I kept coming back to was Vips. Not only do they excel in superb service - for instance the waitress will almost immediately refill your coffee cup even before you're done with your coffee, but the food is good quality and there is a vast selection to cover all tastes. My favorite breakfast dish is the "Huevos Rancheros" - two eggs on tortilla with refried beans (frijoles) and salsa. There is nothing better. I have been trying to copy that dish ever since I came back from Mexico.

Vips is a chain concept and with good reason. The dishes are very popular. To locals it might be a little "costoso", but as a tourist don't get scared of the chain concept, try Vips. If you're going just for a quick snack I would very much recommend their ice pies! They are very delicious. I love the Pie de helado Limón that is Ice Pie with Lime taste. It's very fresh. It's perfect with a coffee. Do try this and let me know if I was right.

There are many other good dishes too. The chicken salad is quite huge and affordable. Although the wraps and local food is styled to meet the tastes of americans some might say that it is far from the Mexican kitchen. But nonetheless very good.

• patricia1.nunez's Profile Photo

Kolobok restaurante ruso: get Russian in Mexico

by patricia1.nunez Written Apr 14, 2009

Why to recommend this russian cafe?
    1st. Service was great...waiter really took the time for all people in my table, he wasn´t pushy at all, he explained all questions easily..
    2.Because prices were good and food was awesome..we ordered empanadas both sweet and salty. some were meat, chicken, potato...yuumm, Gyulash wich is a meat stew was served with rice and was good too, my hot tea that i converted into an ice tea was strong and had a rich flavor..
    3.Because it is located in a local neighborhood far from tourist buzz but also across the street from this nice park housing El Kiosko Morisco .. this emblema of Col Santa Maria de la Ribera

Favorite Dish: Empanadas and russian salad with homemade wheat bread loaf

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

La Fonda del Claustro: Mexican Food & Atmosphere!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Apr 3, 2009

This is a mexican restaurant specialized mostly in food from the state of Puebla (right next door to Mexico City towards the east) with a very folkloric atmosphere & decoration.

It used to be called La Fonda de Santa Clara but it looks like the owners changed and it isn't as nice as it used to be the last time I was there. They used to have live music at night but I didn't see it anymore. The prices are a little lower now but the food quality is as well. The service is very slow, too. So I think I might now recommended other places over this one.

NOTE: Apparently this place has changed name/owner AGAIN, last time I walked by it was named Fonda mexicana (but apparently kept the same concept) and I haven't eaten there recently, so I don't know if they have improved ever since my last visit... I hope so!

Favorite Dish: The specialty is Mole Poblano (our hot chocolaty sauce on chicken or pork meat) and other very typical Mexican dishes (some are available according to the season).

Mexico City Hotels

Latest: Jan 20, 2011
The Red Tree House
Latest: Jul 20, 2014

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Mexico City Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mexico City locals.
Map of Mexico City