The original complex of the Church and Convent of Santo Domingo consisted of several buildings: the two-story novitiate, the main convent building - with the same number of stories ? and the church. In the center of the atrium there was a cross, and in the corners open chapels used to hold the Holy Sacrament. All that remains are the Chapel of the Lord Of Expiration. The present church was completed in 1737. The fa?ade contains two large niches with sculptures of St. Augustine and St. Francis between two columns. A quarry stone relief depicts the kneeling figure of St. Dominic receiving the keys to Heaven from St. Peter. Noteworthy features inside the church include the main neoclassical altarpiece, attributed to Manuel Tolsa, which contrasts with the baroque reliefs and sculptures.
This is one of the oldest churches in Mexico city. It sits on Plaza Santo Domingo which is dedicated as a market for hand printers.
Located on Plaza de Santo Domingo, only a few blocks to the north of el Zócalo, the 16th century Iglesia de Santo Domingo is one of the oldest churches in Mexico City.