Getting Around Mexico City

Most Viewed Transportation in Mexico City

• Gaby_G's Profile Photo

Las Micros

by Gaby_G Updated Oct 28, 2003

This are a NIGHTMARE!!! of course they are cheaper than taxis, and you will be more secure (economically)... BUT this drivers are MAD... They dont care about the people inside, they just want to pick up more people (even if that people are hanging from the door)..... Well, it´s not that bad if you can get a sit...

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Taxi from the airport.

by cachaseiro Written Jan 22, 2010

If you arrive to Mexico city airport and plan to take a taxi from there to town then you should use the taxi stand inside the arrival terminal.
    They organise taxi rides for a very fair amount of money.
    Buying the cabride from that stand is generally a lot cheaper and a lot safer than hailing a cab in the street as you have a few rotten apples among the taxi drivers who hang out at the airport and try to get people in to their taxis.
    The taxi stand is a cheap and safe way to take a cab.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors
    • Business Travel

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

Taxis

by AnnaLupilla Written Nov 26, 2004

Only use authorized taxicabs upon arrival at Mexico City’s Airport. Their rates are established according to destination and tickets can be bought at clearly identified counters within the baggage claim area and at main airport exits.

As in any city throughout the world, one of the main security measures for visitors is to avoid boarding taxicabs off the street. If you need to travel from any point within the city, you can use the service of radio taxicabs or those that can be found parked in special areas called “Sitios”. These offer a safe trip at reasonable prices. As a security measure when taking a taxicab off the street, make sure the driver’s I.D. is visible and that the taximeter is working properly.

Moscow-Mexico City via Paris

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 3, 2012

That was my longest flight I ever had – about 12000 km! We started early in the morning in Moscow (Sheremetievo Airport - SVO) by joined Aeroflot-Air France flight (Airbus-320) and landed in Paris (Charles de Gaulle Airport-CDG) to change the airplane for Air France Paris-Mexico City flight (Boeing-777).

It took us 3 hours in this flight. I had only 30 minutes in Charles de Gaulle Airport to get another terminal by local airport train. I almost run and was in time…
    The second flight from Paris to Mexico City (Mexico City International Airport) lasted about 12 hours… It was rather difficult, but I was happy nevertheless.

Flying over the Atlantic Ocean and Canada

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 3, 2012

I asked a seat at a window and so I was able to take a video about the flight. It was 24th of January and Sheremetievo was covered by snow. We had a flight over the Baltic Sea and we landed in Paris where wasn’t any snow like in autumn. Now I can say that I was in Paris four times in my life (three days in August 1995, a week in November 1995, three days in September 2003 and an hour in January 2011, haha!)
    Then we crossed la Manche (the English Channel) and the British Islands. And for the first time in my life I crossed the Atlantic Ocean and found myself over America which I haven’t seen before… I watched Canada and the USA through the window and those were unforgettable impressions…
    When we landed in the Mexico City International Airport it was our pleasant not very hot summer! And the adventure began!

You can watch my 5 min 01 sec HD Video Moscow-Paris-Mexico City flight with Adelita HD out of my Youtube channel.

Around the city by taxi

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 3, 2012

I had to take a taxi only once when I had to go to the airport to find my lost suitcase. Our hotel was in the very centre of the city at Paseo de la Reforma. A driver of a taxi asked 250 Mexican pesos (about 12 USD) to get to the Mexico City International Airport. But another driver (not official) agreed for 150 pesos. It took us about half an hour in the way. I found my suitcase and came back by official taxi.
    You can see my check on the picture. Don’t be afraid to see the price $240! They use the sign $ for Mexican pesos though 1MXN=12 USD, haha!

Around the city by bus

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 3, 2012

I traveled in Mexico City with a tourist group that’s why I haven’t any problem with transportation from one sightseeing to another by a tourist bus. Every time we went from one place to another I was taking videos out of a bus window which remind me the city and help me to see details which I couldn’t see when I was there…
    I wouldn’t say that traffic in Mexico City had been very difficult in comparison with Moscow. We have never been in jams and were able to reach every place rather easy and it was very convenient for us. Our bus had very unusual colors of a zebra and we could see it from a distance very well and distinguish from other buses.

You can watch my 2 min 42 sec HD Video Mexico City around part 6 out of my Youtube channel.

• Micro Buses

by les_smith Written Jan 5, 2005

The small buses running up and down Mexico City streets are very convienent and cheap. They are called combi or microbuses or peseros. They range in size from vans to buses similar in size to airport parking shutttle buses. They follow set routes (rutas) and they vary in cost according to distance.

You can flag the buses down, though I usually waited for them at city bus stops. I never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes for one. The price is regulated and is between 2.5 and 4.5 pesos. You state your destination and the driver tells you what the cost. The drivers give change but it is advisable to have exact or near exact change.

The city buses cost 2 pesos per trip regardles of distance. I took them when I saw them. However, they did not pass as frequently as the microbuses.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Take the taxi-bike

by Maria_75 Updated Nov 26, 2004

I'm not quite sure what they are called, but I will call them "taxi-bikes". You can find them many places around the city, and they always try to sell you a ride. Never accept the first price they say, you can always get it cheaper.

It's a very special way to see the city, and it's incredible how they manoveur their bikes through the heavy traffic! It can be a bit scary to drive around in this traffic sometimes, especially when they go pedalling for full speed straight through a red light when cars pass by you on every side. But most of the time it's no problem, and just close your eyes when it get's a bit too much... ;)

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Taxis

by Maria_75 Written Nov 26, 2004

Before I went to the city I read and heard so many warnings about the taxis. Many of the taxis are not safe to take, and you should mainly just order a taxi from special sitios around the town. Many people also say that you should never hail a taxi on the street.

When I got to the city I got really confused! There are many different kinds of taxis, and I never really understood which ones to take and which ones to stay away from. One thing I knew was to not take the green VW Beetles, as there has been many incidents with them. (Read more under the danger-tips).

We took a few different kinds of taxis, some from sitios and some that we stopped in the street. We never had any problem, even if some of them didn't have the ID-card in the window (which you are advised to always look for).

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Turibus

by malianrob Written Sep 20, 2008

While doing research on Mexico City and checking out the travel forums we found that everyone suggested getting on the Turibus. So we did it and it was the best thing. At first I was alittle confused because I was look for a place to purchase a ticket for the Turibus. I didnt realize that you get the ticket as you get on the Bus. There are certain stops that the Turibus makes. The stops are where you see a red banner that says Turibus. Some banners will say stop number "_". You can get a schedule at any tourist info center which are all over the place or even at your own hotel. We saw the Turibus stop at the Angel on Paseo de la Reforma so we waited there until the next bus came. We got on the Turibus which was about $11 usd. They put a braclet on us that was good for the whole day. They also gave us another schedule with both circuits on there. This was news to me too because I didnt know that the Turibus has two Routes they take. The first one is around the Historic center and Museo de Anthro, Polanco, the zoo etc... The other route is going to the south of the city. The Southern route will take you all the way to Coyoacan and even further. You can get on to the Southern route which is their first stop at Plaza Madrid. This is where you can change buses and routes. The Plaza Madrid is stop number 4 on the route that goes to the city centro.
    We did both routes in one day. Unfortuneately by the time we got to Coyoacan in the South it was already late and if we got off we wouldnt have a ride back because we were on the last bus.
    The Turibus is an excellent way to get aquainted with the city and get a little view of where you would like to spend more time at.

• gwened's Profile Photo

bike rentals in the city

by gwened Written Oct 7, 2012

now you can rent a bicycle in df and ride around,it might be crazy but its very popular and some stands have no bikes, the best way to get around the traffic n the city.

For the eco lover in us.
    This folks plan on doing some rides on sundays check it out

the link in contact is from the govt of Mexico DF in Spanish with all the info

• Carguja's Profile Photo

Bus service from Airport to downtown

by Carguja Written Feb 28, 2013

There were 2 ways to gt out of the Mexico city airport:
    1.By taxi, cost depending to where you go..from US$15-US$25
    2. By metro, however you have to walk a lot and it is only availabkle if youa rrive in Terminal 1.

Now you can take Metrobus from both terminals which is a scheduled bus (red one) and you pay only 30 pesos (US$2.5). In 30 minutes you will be in Mexico city downtown.

• dila's Profile Photo

tren ligero / Xochimilco Light Rail

by dila Written Jun 7, 2008

After i took the metro to tasquena. i took the tren ligero to Xochimilco. then i kind of collectivo. lucky for me some lady spoke english in the collectivo and told me to walk with an old lady to Xochimilco market. metro 2 pesos. tren ligero 2 pesos collectivo 2,5 pesos

• Trains

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Hire a driver

by malianrob Updated Sep 20, 2008

If you dont feel comfortable taking the bus or the metro you can hire a driver to take you around. Establish a price first and go with someone you can trust. Our driver was Celso Montiel. He is a very nice man who has alot of knowledge about the city and its history. He was very trustworthy and he is also very affordable.
    He drives his Chevy Suburban and he is very safe, his car is immaculate. His wife is a nurse and he is usually out at the Holiday Inn Reforma. He works out of there but you dont have to stay there to contact him. He also chauffers certain people around that come to Mexico City regularly. He also work with the Japanese embassy and chauffers some of their employees.

Mexico City Hotels

JW Marriott In Mexico City
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
The Red Tree House

Instant Answers: Mexico City

Comments

Mexico City Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mexico City locals.
Map of Mexico City