General Warning Info, Mexico City

Scanner
    by Aptypo
  • Rampant Kidnappings and Violence

by bnn2552 Written Oct 16, 2012

Just do not go to Mexico City at all, or Mexico, if you can help it. Before you think I am being judgmental, you should know that I am Hispanic, My family IS from Mexico, and I lived in Mexico City for two years, so it pains me very much to say this. Do not under any circumstances, take non-sitio cabs. I did, and only escaped a 6 hour kidnapping because my abductors could not find a place to kill me. Do not, under any circumstances, report any crimes to the local authorities, they are involved in a lot of the local crime, and you are likely to just be assaulted again. You are on your own. I ended up reporting my own experiences to the American Embassy. Do not think you are much safer in the tourist spots of Cancun or Puarta Vallarta. My friends have had their drinks drugged in some very nice places. All of this happened in 1997 and 1998 BEFORE it got dramatically worse. The huge majority of the locals will be the nicest, most humane people you have ever met. You will also see things you cannot see any where else in the world; The Sites and History of this country are amazing. It is a true shame. The reality is that the corruption and politics have these people by the throat. As a tourist, you will be a target, and there have even been shoot outs inside the airport. Hundreds of people go to Mexico every year, and either die or end up completely disappearing. On many occasions, the U.S. has threatened to remove Mexico's status as an anti-drug country, and it is only politics that keeps this from happening. Don't believe me? I have tons of friends and relatives that had the same experience. Mexico City has been one of the murder capitals of the world for decades. Just watch the news in Spanish (not English) any night of the week, and hear it from the locals themselves, then decide for yourself weather you are not better off taking your family to ANY other country for your vacation.

• Rampant Kidnappings / Violence / Missing Tourist

by bnn2552 Written Oct 16, 2012

• Kidnapping

by drpoundsign Written Mar 9, 2009

Was there in 83. Stuck there a week as med student b/c of student Visa BS. LOTS of Rats!! Cabbies tried to rip people off go to cheap hotel in rathole hoods. Charge too much for fare. Use sitios ONLY! I almost got kidnapped by two teen thugs b/c I was out clubbing too late. Go with lots of friends and do not stay out too late.

• xartgourmet's Profile Photo

DONT TAKE JUST ANY TAXI

by xartgourmet Written Mar 6, 2009

BEING SAFE IN MEXICO CITY CAN BE DIFFICULT, BUT HERES ONE TIP TO KEEP YOU SAFE. WHEN TRYING TO FIND A TAXI CAB. DONT GET INTO THE LITTLE GREEN VW BUGS, LOOK FOR A CERTIFIED MEXICO CITY TAXI. CERTIFIED TAXIS ARE GOLD COLOURED WITH MAROON LINES ON THEM. ALSO MAKE SURE TO ASK YOUR DRIVER BEFORE GETTING IN IF HE BELONGS TO A "SITIO" WHICH MEANS IF THEY ARE A PART OF A TAXI COMPANY.

BE SAFE!

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Violence Airport ATM Cash Withdrawal 28 Jan 2009

by cochinjew Written Jan 27, 2009

Un chercheur français attaqué à l'aéroport de Mexico, grievement blessé

Des voleurs qui ciblaient des personnes changeant de l'argent à l'aéroport de Mexico ont tiré sur un Français mardi, le blessant grièvement à la tête. Lire la suite l'article

Le chercheur en biotechonologie, âgé de 55 ans, travaille à l'université de Mexico. Les voleurs lui ont dérobé 4.800 euros dans une rue proche du terminal international, ont précisé le procureur adjoint de la ville, Luis Vasquez, et la police. Il a été transporté à l'hôpita l local.

L'ambassade de France n'a pas pu confirmer l'identité de la victime ni sa ville d'origine. Le chef de la police de Mexico Manuel Mondragon a rappelé que les gangs de criminels ont des vigies placées près des bureaux de change de l'aéroport qui alertent les agresseurs. Ceux-ci attendent les clients à l'extérieur. Les gangs n'hésitent pas à employer une extrême violence.

Le chauffeur de la victime a témoigné que deux voitures paraissaient les suivre après qu'ils aient quitté l'aéroport. Les assaillants ont coupé la route à son véhicule, et tiré sur le chercheur français qui refusait de donner le sac contenant l'argent, a précisé la police. AP

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

Security

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Dec 27, 2007

Many things have been said about Mexico City's security. When I was living in Canada I read about it in local newspapers and believe me, it's not the way the media abroad publishes. I mean, it is as dangerous as any other major city like New York or LA. Of course you have to be careful with your money, when taking a cab, not to show valuable things in public sites, not being alone at night, etc. Be careful but don't panic! It certainly is not the most dangerous city in the world!

• chenglinlee's Profile Photo

Staying safe in Mexico City

by chenglinlee Written Jan 28, 2007

Mexico City has often been painted as a dangerous place to be with frequent kidnappings and daytime robbery and assaults. I just want to say that although this might be true to certain degree but believe me it is not as common as movies or people make it out to be. Staying safe in Mexico City means that you need to exercise some common sense when you are traveling. These are some of the advice that I have which made me feel safe traveling in Mexico City. 1) Avoid traveling by yourself at night time. During the daytime it is pretty safe. 2) Don't dress too much apart from the people. Basically, don't show people that you have a lot of money and don't carry too much cash with you. 3) Learn the railroad system/avoid taxis. If you fear of being kidnapped then stay away from taxis. The railroad system is easy to use, cheap, and safe during the daytime. I don't recommend it after 9pm.

• Asyngin's Profile Photo

Don't Worry So Much!

by Asyngin Written Dec 6, 2006

I probably spent the first few days tense from having read so much on the dangers of Mexico. I didn't see a single thing that made me feel like the city was dangerous, but I'm from Chicago and vacation in NY and DC several times per year every year. I know how to act in large, metro cities. I stayed in a safe neighborhood, but it was not a tourist neighborhood. I rented a condo in La Condesa Hippodroma where there were only middle class native Mexicans. We took the subway every morning and night during rush hour and had no problems with pick pockets, strange men trying to be helpful, or the like. We learned how to use the subway, so we never had to worry about the safety of taxis. We stayed out late, walked the streets and felt like natives since our local neighborhood vendors would recognize us and say "hola". Jerry and I have a tendency not to speak loudly and frequently don't speak English in public. I'm asian and Jerry is your typical, big and tall German, so we didn't blend in, but we didn't attract attention to ourselves either. Jerry felt like most people didn't approach us because we don't really look like your stereotypical happy, bouncy, friendly, wide-eyed American. We usually looked beat-up and tired after a day of running raged from museums to historical sites to markets. We wear long, black trench coats, no flashy jewelry, and I carry a messenger bag, not a purse. We offered no one an opportunity to get close or take anything from us.

• Look alive

by Barry_Atl Updated Nov 12, 2006

The sidewalk infrastructure in the capital is in a league all its own. A litigation-happy lawyer would have an absolute field day with the state of sidewalks in Mexico City. I've seen hazards from sectional heaving to metal plate overlays with gaps large enough to swallow a small child.

If you find yourself moving outside of the touristy areas in the DF, I can't stress enough how important it is wear quality, sturdy shoes, keep your eyes on the pavement ahead of you and lastly, walk with a measured pace- fast walking will only heighten the chance for injury

And if you should fall victim to one of these ankle-twisters in-waiting, don't expect any sympathy from local authorities, their response will be "well, the hole was here before you were".

• yuhua's Profile Photo

Don't wear skirt

by yuhua Written Aug 7, 2006

if you're traveling by yourself and don't want to be handle, pinched or followed by creepy guys. Try to avoid using skirt, specially short and tide skirts and don't use the subway at rush hours or get on the train when it's full. Wait for the next train.

• Women's Travel

• Anastasie's Profile Photo

I know you are not from here!

by Anastasie Written Jul 2, 2006

Europeans and North Americans stand out in the crowd and can be spotted quite easily, particulalry around the Zocalo square and the historic center of the city. The backpack and the map only makes things worse for you, not to mention the use of a language other than Spanish. Pick pocketers may be a danger and so can be other individuals who can approach and start talking to you particulalry if you are female. Same old advice applies here: avoid eye-contact, mingle with the crowd, check frequently your surroundings, do not isolate yourself and try to conceal your tourist identity. Try asking instead of opening a map in the middle of the street. If you really need to consult your map/travel guide -a map can be useful particularly for non speakers of spanish- try to do so in a store or a cafe. In addition hide valuable objects that may attract the attention of thieves- this is not to be limited to expensive stuff: your glittery hair accessory may cost 3 euros/dollars in reality but in the eyes of someone else may seem a fortune just because the sun makes it shine!

• Study Abroad

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Kidnapping

by rmlopez74 Written Apr 17, 2006

Mexico City has one of the highest rate of kidnapping amongst foreign nationals. Always for money. Americans (specifically rich Americans) are sometimes specifically targeted.

No matter where you are traveling, best bet is to always keep a low profile. Blend in as much as possible with the locals. Don't flash cash or were substantial amounts of jewelry. Women: use a cheap purse for travelling. Leave the Coach bag back home in the states. Men: keep a small wad of small bills in your front pocket to pay for incidentals. That way you aren't pulling out your wallet (with the bulk of your cash and cards) everytime you want a soda. At the minimum this will keep you from getting pick-pocketed. Or it could potentially keep you from being hog-tied in the trunk of a old Ford.

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

• jumanuel's Profile Photo

Big City

by jumanuel Written Feb 16, 2006

As a in a big city is normal that you get lost, if you get lost in a non touristic area and need assistance, don't panic and don't take out any map, go to a store or a place where you can take out your map and maybe if you feel like to ask for any directions do it. This is only a gernal precaution that you would take in any other city. I have to add that people tend to be very friendly and if they see you in problems they can help, ibut if you dont need any help and feel treded just thank and go to any store or a place where you can see people.

• jumanuel's Profile Photo

Mexican Food

by jumanuel Written Feb 16, 2006

Real Mexican food is a problem to many foreigners... why? Food tend to be spicy and sometimes if you eat more than two different dishes in one day, you can have a boom in your stomach. This is beacuse many people is not used to eat this kind of food, and I need to tell you that even if you tried ever some mexican food before, it's not the same, so, I warn that you should bring with you some stomach medicine just in case.

Also there are plenty of places where you can eat food, be aware that the place looks clean and is not a place in the middle of the street, this places aren't clean enough and it's almost a guarantee you can be sick - So be careful, the best thing is to eat in a normal restaurant. Trust my mexican tips.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Don't give your passport or personal info out

by oceania26 Updated Jan 15, 2006

Don't give your passport or personal info out when you're changing over you money! They'll ask for your phone number, address, passport, etc. There's no need!! Also people (i.e. bus drivers) will randomly ask for your passport. You don't need to show it and there's no reason to be asking for it. Just say you don' t have it and they'll let you go. I think they ask for your passport just for curioiusity's sake.

A clueless friend of mine (who changed her money several times before) gave out her personal info to guy at the bus station when she was changing mone and gave our phone # out. A couple days later the guy was callling to ask her out on a date! Just be aware!

Instant Answers: Mexico City

• Ruddin's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Sounds like the perfect holiday destination for Indians and Pakistanis, cheap, safer than Karachi and lots of spicey food- Chalo!