Transportation, Mexico City

by anagrettel
  • kucha's Profile Photo

Green Taxis

by kucha Written Sep 7, 2002

At present, it is still considered extremely unsafe (kidnapping/robbery risk) to use the regular taxis -- usually the small green ones. Don't hail a taxi from the street, rather call one in advance or take one from your hotel.

• Ok, my friend who lives in...

by gdaniels99 Written Aug 26, 2002

Ok, my friend who lives in Mexico City (that's her in the photo) says she was robbed by a taxi driver. The bad thing is she was with two other people, her aunt and a male cousin. When the male cousin resisted the cab driver hit him in the face with his gun. So the government reports about avoiding those green and white taxis are true. They are definitely dangerous even though I have taken them every time I was in Mexico City without any incident.

Also, be careful of pickpockets in the Airport. When I was leaving I sat my backpack down, took my camera out of my shorts pocket and put it in a side pocket of my backpack, looked up and noticed this mexican kid (16 or 17) watching me intently. Since I was about to check in I didn't think he'd have a chance to really do anything. Somehow in the 15 minutes it took me to get through the line at the airport he got the camera. It had all my film from the past few days which is the only bad thing. So don't underestimate their skill and speed.

• Ricardo_J_M's Profile Photo

I should not have to warn you...

by Ricardo_J_M Written Aug 26, 2002

I should not have to warn you about the Metro (subway). It is funny because living there I got used to traveling in the stations. When Alma (my wife) went to visit I told her to be careful and as we went down the steps I began to pick up the pace and by time we hit the bottom step I was at a brisk walk. She had a little trouble keeping up at first. Everyone walks extremely fast and the Metro gets almost impossible to board at rush hour.

One other thing which I always tried to do was get out of the city before dusk.

• TinyTuck's Profile Photo

Be careful with the taxis!...

by TinyTuck Written Aug 25, 2002

Be careful with the taxis! Just take those ones that have got a picture I.D. outside at the door, and also check if the driver is the man on the photo. The green VW taxis are considered generally unsafe. The best way is to take a taxi at one of the registered taxi stands.

• cuckoo's Profile Photo

The Traffic!! Never before had...

by cuckoo Written Aug 25, 2002

The Traffic!! Never before had I seen so much traffic!
    This city is just so busy, 24 hours a day it seemed to me. At every traffic light children would appear to wash your windscreen or to sell some flowers or a newspaper.

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Do not take a cab in Mexico...

by gkitzmil Updated Aug 24, 2002

Do not take a cab in Mexico without having one ordered for you. You can tell any restaurant or hotel that you want a 'taxi seguro' or safe taxi. You often will get a Tourist car from a hotel which will bear a tourist taxi shield in the window. ASK what it will cost to go to your destination -- it will always be higher than a normal taxi but it is much better than losing your valuables or your life. While it is rare that you'd be kidnapped it has happened. Restaurants will call a taxi sitio. Get a description and the number of the cab. Only get into that cab. ... From Zocalo US citizens are safe walking about 2 blocks east on Tacuba to the Holiday Inn. (see photo) There you will be placed into a taxi that will not be too expensive but will be safe. Do I know people who've been robbed? Yes. DO I LOVE Mexico City? YES. Do I feel safe? Yes! Once you've spent weeks in the City and speak very good spanish if you want to take a cab on the street then that is your decision. I know people who do and who have not yet been robbed. But be aware this does happen and for me - a rather fearless visitor I don't wish to take the chance.

• Ainda's Profile Photo

About public transportation...

by Ainda Updated Aug 24, 2002

About public transportation you have to be careful with Taxis, Subway and bus,NEVER take too much money with you, just the necessary or hide it.
    About food, never eat on the streets and be careful with vegetables, some stablishments dont desinfect them properly, like lettuce.

• The Metro is probably the...

by AMathTeacher Written Aug 25, 2002

The Metro is probably the safest way for the tourest to travel in Mexico City. (There are 'guards' at the various stations who keep an eye out on the passengers.) But even so, don't let your guard down. Keep any bags you may be carrying close and in front of you.

Men in Mexico City seem to love whistling at women and making comments. Don't be too alarmed - they're usually harmless. Again, be careful and use common sense.

About taxis in Mexico City - lots of locals don't even like them. If you find however that you must take a taxi, try to call a taxi service to have one sent to pick you up. Most taxis are green VW Beetles. The driver should ALWAYS have his information card with his photo displayed - if he doesn't, you ought to reconsider getting in the cab.

• Late night taxi riding should...

by MichaelJohn Written Aug 24, 2002

Late night taxi riding should be avoided. There are many taxi stands (sitios) that are much safer as they register arrivals and departures. Flagging down a taxi after 11 o'clock at night (especially in the dowtown section) could mean a free three hour tour of the city with your eyes closed) and at the minimal cost of whatever the ATM says your limit is (three hours because they will wait until after midnight to take out more money). Be careful. use basic safety tips such as no flashy jewelry and walking in the middle of streets so you can see in doorways, etc. and you should be OK. It isn't as bad as many people seem to think, but it is pretty bad on the whole.

• JackRussel's Profile Photo

Taxi crime

by JackRussel Written Oct 4, 2003

Avoid at all costs taking taxis on the street.
    There's been really bad cases of robberies, sexual assaults, and other violent crimes (including killings) perpetrated by taxi drivers and/or accomplices. See Lonely Planet Travelers Book for Mexico for more info.

Rather, call renowned taxi firms, and ask:
    -name and ID number of the taxi driver coming to pick you up
    - number plate of the taxi
    You can also ask someone reliable (ex: hotel clerk) to note the plate number and where you intend to go.

Taxi firms:

Supersitio 160
    Tel. 5271-9146

Taxi-Mex
    5538-1440

Taxi Radio Mex
    5584-0571

• Business Travel

• Don't drink the water. Don't...

by robinlawrie Written Aug 24, 2002

Don't drink the water. Don't even open your mouth in the shower. Brush your teeth with bottled water. Above all, don't buy food from street vendors. Eat in established restaurants and ask if the ice and water are purified.

• PhilipL8's Profile Photo

Taxis from Mexico City Airport

by PhilipL8 Written Feb 25, 2013

Looks like there's a lot of info out there about the dangers associated with taxis in Mexico City and particularly those from the airport. In my experience it seems that passengers who have just arrived at the airport are viewed as 'fair game' by a lot of transport companies, I guess it's because often people are tired from long journies and haven't adjusted to their surroundings so are a bit disorientated. When I was young the long journies didn't bother me much, but these days I seem to fall into the 'exhausted' category if I travel more than 8 hours or so. If you're like me then do yourself a favour and organise your airport transport before you even get on the first leg of your flight. There's a few 'nicer' taxi companies operating out of Mexico City Airport, a few which have reputable looking sites (if you can trust a company by the website!). Do some research before you fly, book your taxi or other form of transport before you arrive, try to get a meet and greet if you can. Even if you only do this for the airport to hotel part of your journey and take a punt with the local taxis from then on, it'll be worth every penny, in my opinion. If you're travelling to Mexico City airport take a look at Mexico Airport Transfers, I was quite happy with their price and service - maybe it was more than I'd have paid if I took a regular taxi, but it was still less than in New York or London, and was better than being robbed half way to the hotel. But as mentioned, do your own research, but do yourself a favour, book in advance and take the stress, and risk, our of getting to your hotel.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• Taxis

by dandamano Written Nov 30, 2007

Again, I took green and white street cabs for the five years i lived in mexico city almost nightly in the early hours of the morning to get home from my girlfriends house.

I never got robbed or had any problems.

HOWEVER, my flatmate was robbed in taxis seven times in six months, twice at gunpoint and twice with a knife.

so i guess i was just lucky! (or he wasnt)

• H3ath3r's Profile Photo

Be VERY careful on the Mexico City Metro

by H3ath3r Updated Jan 29, 2006

My boyfriend and I both had our wallets (travel wallets, belt style, worn under the clothing)stolen on the Metro within 2 minutes. Please, if you ride the Metro keep your hand on your wallet at all times and do not get on if severval people try to push you onto the Metro. Several people pushed us into the Metro and then the Metro was so crowded we didn`t even realize our stuff was gone until it was too late!

• fotonik's Profile Photo

Taxi Drivers

by fotonik Written Feb 14, 2005

You should assume all taxi drivers are thieves in Mexico City and act accordingly.

Even if we forget about taxi drivers that actually take you in some remote location before robbing you, you still need to be paranoid about cab drivers.

In Mexico, taxis don't have meters and you, as a foreigner, are a relatively easy prey for money-sucking vampires.

Avoid taking cabs if possible. Use the metro instead. If you must take a taxi, ask for someone at your hotel to call one for you and help you in determining the price for your ride.

Never leave personal objects in the taxi if you get out of it expecting the driver to wait for you.

To avoid problems, always expect the worst with cabs and keep a paranoid attitude towards them. They often rip off locals and they almost always try to rip off tourists.

Instant Answers: Mexico City