Ensenada Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Ensenada

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

El Rey Sol: High end in the Port area

by Agraichen Written Mar 3, 2014

Just a block from the main port area the "El Sol" complex of hotels and restaurants take up locations in two blocks in the center of the shopping district.

El Rey Sol is a bit higher end than it's smaller sister taco stand, Tacos del Sol, across the street.

Favorite Dish: Bordering more on French cuisine than Mexican, both the breakfast and dinner dishes tend to be very good but a bit pricey.

The fresh made waffle for breakfast and the very fresh pastries were excellent.

Dinner's steak was done as requested (rare), which can sometimes be difficult in the Baja.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Tacos del Sol: Convenient at Casa del Sol

by Agraichen Written Mar 3, 2014

In the "shopping" district near the port and attached to the Casa del Sol hotel is a small taco stand called El Rey Sol. There is a "sister" restaurant across the street but it's much higher end fare.

This location is a standard taco stand serving basic but very good food.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Las Rosas Hotel Restaurant: A Good Place to Start!

by lmkluque Updated Feb 1, 2013

A place for romance!

Las Rosas is a place I like to stop at while in Ensenada. It is just north of the city and located on the Pacific ocean, it offers a wonderful view. Usually I stop here for an evening meal to watch the sun set.

The small dining room looks out to the poolside patio and past that to the Pacific Ocean. Service is wonderful.

Favorite Dish: Seafood of your choice, I like the lobster Puerto Nuevo and of course, the delicious Mexican Margarita, which you should know was created in Ensenada for Margarita Henkel, daughter of the German Ambassador to Mexico in 1941.

• Beaches

• EL REY SOL: EL REY SOL --so long !!!

by fgmx2006 Written Mar 11, 2012

This restuarant is claimed to be the best in Ensenada. It is very far from that claim. It probably should boast to be the most expensive ,but the quality of food there can not make the claim.

It is the local snob restaurant of the local who's who in Ensenada. You will spend triple for the wine and food than what it should be.
    The waiters dress formally but can not serve like in a FINE establishment.
    If you have more money than brains then by all means come and spend !!!
    Its international menu claims are just to lure you in. The quality of service is so-so.
    VERY OVERPRICED ., decor is 70's tacky. The only thing that it may boast ,is that this is probably the only restaurant in Ensenada where the traveling guitar players do not enter and hound you to pay $5 to sing a song.

Favorite Dish: I have eaten there 3 times and have NEVER been impressed !!
    I can not say that I have a favorite dish there.

• Business Travel
    • Festivals

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Casamar Restaurante y Mariscos: A Good Choice for Lunch

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Casamar Restaurant and Bar

We first arrive in Ensenada shortly before noon, and chose this restaurant near our hotel for our first meal in town. The place has been around for 30 years and is still doing a brisk business, so they must be doing something right.

Favorite Dish: I followed our bus driver's suggestion and ordered the squid steak, breaded and topped with crab meat, chopped shrimp and wine sauce, with rice and steamed vegetables. It was a good choice.

• emilesc's Profile Photo

Casamar Restaurante de Mariscos: Fine Dining, Reasonably Priced

by emilesc Updated Apr 4, 2011

From Casamar

My friend had been to Ensenada before with a tour group that took a lunch break at this restaurant. She liked it so much that we ate here during out day trip. It was the highlight of our time spent in the city. The restaurant itself is classy yet comfortable (there's a picture at the website, you'll see what I mean), the staff makes you feel right at home. Be sure to eat upstairs and get a window seat that overlooks the marina. We were treated to a bizarre motorcade - I'm not sure if it was for a walkathon or a festival. But it was great for people watching.

Best of all, we were on a budget and the prices are great. No wonder it's popular with tour groups.

Favorite Dish: We had the soup of the day, which I'll always remember. Snail soup. That was some yummy soup. Unfortunately, not on the menu everyday, but if that's what they're serving, definitely get over your hang-ups and order it! I would go back to Ensenada just for that soup. Better not change the recipe...

:::drifts off, remembering the soup:::

Sorry, where was I? The margaritas are yummy too... and since we'd left the driving to our bus driver, we had no worries!

I can't remember the main course... not because it was bad, but in case you haven't guessed, that snail soup overshadows my memory of the meal. There's a menu at the website - I'm guessing it was Casamar Combination. There's no way I'm going to pass up a dish made with cheese.

For dessert I had the chocolate cake and flan. I can't remember if it was mixed together as it sounds or just half and half. I just remember liking it. Next time, I want to order something on fire. :-) Yes, I'm 32 going on 12.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RESTAURANTE EL CHARRO: HOME MADE TORTILLAS RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES

by travelgourmet Updated Nov 28, 2009

PEOPLE STOPPER. CHICKEN ROTISSERIE IN WINDOW

Ensenada, with the ocean breeze and the warm sun, makes for a great place to head for a bar or restaurant to have a drink and eat some Mexican food specialties like tacos. The tacos can be made with corn or flour tortillas and filled with chicken, pork, beef or the Ensenada favorite, fish with a combination of shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, diced onion, diced tomato, a sprinkle of cilantro, splashed with a salsa sauce, muy caliente (very hot) and held like a sandwich to eat. The best.

When walking down the main street for tourists in Ensenada, you may pass by, no, make that, you will stop and look at the huge rotisserie of chickens BBQing in the window of Restaurante El Charro. A newer location and a very large dining area, El Charro has become the tourist dining mecca. The chickens roasting over the flames may draw you to the window but the food inside will bring you back. Watch the tortillas being made right before your eyes as you enter the restaurant. Heavy wood tables and chairs give this the hacienda feel. Open daily for lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: I find that a plate of Tacos, no matter what ingredients you put inside are so delicious to eat that it is hard to stop after three. There are many street vendors selling tacos and they are good, but to sit down at a nice table and have either a bottle of ice cold beer with a slice of lime or a salt rimmed glass filled with an crushed ice margarita drink, along with the ambiance and decor of the restaurant, then to enjoy a taco or two or even three with frijoles (refried beans) is divine.

• Seniors

Tacos De Sol: the famous taco mariscos of Ensenada

the taco stand

a popular local joint selling the famed taco mariscos of the ensenada area. Tacos Del Sol in a hole in the wall type of taco stand offered by the Casa Del Sol Hotel in the touristy Avenida De Lopez Mateos tourist district and my friends asked a local and she said they have excellent taco mariscos there. the Tacos Del Sol in owned by the Hotel Casa Del Sol which is the entrance is located just at the side of the Taco Joint. the joint offers standard fish taco mariscos or the shrimp tacos and even the scallop and clam tacos and the prices vary from 40 mexican pesos an order to 60 mexican pesos an order. it is more expensive than the roadside taco stands but here you can be assured of the quality.

Favorite Dish: the taco mariscos or the fish tacos and the camaron (shrimp) tacos they are simply the best and here you pay for quality that's why it is more expensive than the roadside taco stalls.

Casamar Mexican Restaurant 2: northern baja california cuisine 2

the squid fillet

eating inside the famous casamar mexican restaurant in ensenada area with more pictures of the food. The restaurant offers taste of the northern baja mexican cusine with my friends at this popular mexican seafood restaurant here in the Ensenada Area. The restaurant is an institution here in the Avenida Lazaro Cardenas area and it is located beside the big mexican flag near the Malecon. The restaurant serves Mexican and specifically northen Mexican Baja California Cuisine which is abundant in treasure from the sea like octopus, shrimps, sole fish, assorted clams and scallops and aslo Lobsters. the meal also has a complimentary glass of margarita (some legends say that margarita was invented here at ensenada).

Favorite Dish: the offering are numerous and they give you a free appetizer of what else but nachos with spicy nacho chili sauce (its bitingly hot!) and among the wonderful Baja California Delights that we tasted here are the Carnitas Asadas (braised mexican beef with chili sauce and rice), Fish Fillet (sole fish) with Manila Mango Sauce (Manila Mango is from ataulfo mangoes cross bred with philippine mangoes, see my manila philippines pages). Grilled Garlic Swordfish with Rice and the Big Breaded Squid Fillets toped with crabmeat which were heavenly! (see my pictures) prices of a glass of margarita is 25 mexican pesos, the carnitas at 90 mexican pesos, the squid fillets at 110 mexican pesos and the Fish fillets at 11o mexican pesos. see my pictures.

Casamar Mexican Restaurant 1: northern baja california cuisine

the resto

a taste of the northern baja mexican cusine with my friends at this popular mexican seafood restaurant here in the Ensenada Area. The restaurant is an institution here in the Avenida Lazaro Cardenas area and it is located beside the big mexican flag near the Malecon. The restaurant serves Mexican and specifically northen Mexican Baja California Cuisine which is abundant in treasure from the sea like octopus, shrimps, sole fish, assorted clams and scallops and aslo Lobsters. the meal also has a complimentary glass of margarita (some legends say that margarita was invented here at ensenada).

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Mcdonalds: what else but mcdonalds

by machomikemd Written Nov 16, 2009

mcdonalds

again what makes mcdonalds international icon? because it adds local favorites to its regular meals in the country which it is located and here in mexico it is no different. The Mcdonalds here has most of the staples of good ole americana like the big mac, quarter pounder and the french fries but like what i've said, it adds local flavor to it's local branches and here in mexico and ensenada, they have enchiladas and the local chicken fillets the pechugas with guacamole sauce and they are spicy (well mexican food is mostly spicy as everyone knows) and the cost are cheap. so if you are on a budget here in ensenada (you cheapskate!!!) then you can eat your meal here in Mcdonalds.

Favorite Dish: a basic enchilada costs 25 mexican pesos, a large burger meal costs 35 mexican pesos and the coffees starts at 12 mexican pesos a cup.

Hours of operation: From: 6:30 AM To: 11:00 PM everyday

• Mango Mango: Mango Mango in Ensenada: We'll kick your a$$es out

by anonymouscontributo Written Dec 4, 2007

If not everyone in the group is a drinker, they'll "kick your a$$es out". That is what the lady told some of my friends who weren't big drinkers and didn't want to spend $20 on a all you can drink wristband. When we agreed to leave if the people in our group got our $20 refund and paid for the drinks we did get, the over anxious bouncer poured a couple of our drinks into one plastic cup, mixing our drinks up, instead of the individual drinks into individual plastic cups we were given. We said that was not right and asked for a refund. Instead, the bouncer wanted to fight, so he got in the face of one of the girls who would not back down. Then he went after another friend who was talking to the guy in charge about what the bouncer did. In the end, we could do nothing and the manager had my friend dragged out and as I was the last one walking out, I was given a cheap shot in the back by one of the bouncers. Just thought you all should know.

• El Rey Sol: A Big Miss!

by CaliBrit Written Jul 16, 2007

El Rey Sol is conveniently located on Lopez Mateos, the main street. We had no problem finding street parking directly outside. The restaurant is decorated to resemble Marie Antoinette's boudoir. Outside seating is covered bistro style. The service was mediocre. Water arrived during dinner. Wine glasses were not kept topped up. Small irks.

The real abomination was the food. I ordered snails, after all it is a French restaurant. They arrived swimming in butter and garlic, smelling wonderful. I slipped on of these yummy smelling creations into my mouth and chewed, chewed, chewed, chewed, chewed and chewed some more. No amount of mastication could reduce the lump in my mouth to anything smaller than the size it went in. My friend ordered an avocado and seafood appetizer. While tasty it was disappointing. It was simply half an avocado, mashed with a bit of crab meat, returned to the shell and served on a lettuce leaf. A complimentary appetizer arrived. Two quails eggs, a slither of carrot (created with a potato peeler and I suspect the peelings from another dish), two croutons with a dollop of tuna salad and an olive atop. Nothing special .

My entree of stuffed shrimp was disgusting. The shrimp were tough, terribly overcooked. The stuffing appeared to be made from imitation crab meat with a terrible stale taste. The whole thing was swimming in a creamy but tasteless sauce. My friend ordered fish fillet with cilantro sauce. Again the fish was overcooked, tough, dry and chewy. The cilantro sauce was pleasant but totally overpowered the bland, leathery fish. Both meals were served with overcooked brocolli and boiled carrots (the peelings of which we had already been treated to!)

I have no idea how or why this restaurant gets such favorable reviews and multiple awards. I know I shall never return and hopefully I'll have saved someone else the trouble.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Las Cazuelas: Brunch

by orlikins Written Jan 8, 2007

This is clearly a place where lots of local families go, which I usually take as a good sign.

Service was fast, coffee was strong and the food was yum - just what we needed after arriving in the town!

It is on the harbour road as you arrive into Ensenada.

THe decor is a bit dated IMO - lots of 70's brown, but the main thing is that you get served, you get fed and you go on your merry way.

Favorite Dish: Think I had a ham omlette and lashings of coffee.

• jwha's Profile Photo

Papa's & Beer: Does not live up to the hype!!

by jwha Written Apr 17, 2006

We kept hearing about Papa's & Beer, and that we should try it while in Ensenada, so we did. If you are looking for Mexican food, this is not the place to go. They had a VERY limited selection of mexican food. The rest was burgers, salads, wings, wraps, etc...I tried their enchilada plate (3 chicken enchilada's, rice and beans). I have had MUCH better enchilada's in the states. My husband and I shared the "World Famous" fries from their starter menu. I would normally eat most of the fries myself as I love potatoes. We ending up leaving most of the basket. They weren't horrible, but they were missing something and I am a "plain jane". I put salt on them, ate them with ketchup and dipped them in the nacho cheese sauce.

Margarita's were good though. This was definetely a place you would go to drink and listen to loud music. Go somewhere else for the food.

Instant Answers: Ensenada

Comments

Ensenada Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ensenada restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ensenada sightseeing.