Rosarito Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Rosarito

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

The Perfect Day Trip

by lmkluque Updated Feb 3, 2013

Favorite thing: The drive from San Diego to Rosarito Beach takes less than half an hour. There are two roads to choose from; Ensenada Libre, the free road, and Ensenada Cuota, the toll road. Just across the border from San Diego to Tijuana you'll see the signs. Taking the Ensenada Cuota road will allow you to by-pass the downtown traffic. This road runs west along the American-Mexican border to Playas de Tijuana and then south along the Pacific Ocean to Rosarito Beach.

I suggest taking the toll road for two reasons. The toll road is maintained regularly and the scenic ocean views are awesome. There are two toll booths before arriving at Rosarito Beach and each charge a different amount. It seems that the further south you go on this road the tolls increase. The first is about $2.30 and the second is about $2.50. (2013)

• Music

Maps

by machomikemd Updated Nov 21, 2009

the map

Favorite thing: buying maps in rosarito. there are free maps and brochures for tourists but if you want a detailed view of the Baja California and the rosarito area, you can buy the fold up maps at assorted stalls here in rosarito that offers driving directions, the towns around baja and the distances between towns, if you are not fond of printing maps on the internet (due to high cists of ink cartidges) then your best bet is to buy these large and colorful maps if you plan to stay for more than 3 days in the baja california area and savor it's different sights and tourist spots and off the beaten tracks. a small fold up map costs about 20 mexican pesos and the big ones like in the picture costs 50 mexican pesos.

Rosarito and Baja free Newspapers

by machomikemd Written Nov 21, 2009

grab one now

Favorite thing: very handy and informative. here in the rosarito area, there are many free newspapers that are aimed to tourists and american expatriates and the newspapers have many articles of the various sights and sounds and things to do and attractions of the rosairo area and baja califnornia area and it also has what else but discount coupons to entice tourists to buy assorted stuff here in rosarito and baja and also advertises condominium complexes and beachfront properties for those who want to buy properties here, targetting mostly american expatriates especially californians due to the lower costs of living here than in the United States. the newspapers are available everywhere.

The Drive to Rosarito

by machomikemd Updated Nov 19, 2009

the toll road

Favorite thing: the about 30 minute drive from tijuana to rosarito beach on a tour bus with views of the beatiful baja coastline and the well paved expressway going to Ensenada. You can drive by way of the Libre (free road) or the Cuota (toll road). By far the nicest method is the toll road. The toll is currently 24 pesos (about $2.10). The toll road receipt is your insurance receipt should you have an accident while driving on the Cuota. While driving in downtown Rosarito, the far right lane is not a driving lane. This is for taxi pick ups and a lane to make backing out of parking easier. Do not park where the curb is yellow. You will be towed and the fine is $70 for the towing charge and a four hour ordeal.

Gas Stations in Rosarito

by machomikemd Updated Nov 19, 2009

gas up

Favorite thing: Buy your gasoline in pesos for the best deal as the exchange rate at the gas station is usually not the greatest. and don't let your tank get really low. On some holiday weekends, the demand from tourists causes them to have long lines. there are many gas stations in Rosarito and most of it are owned by PEMEX (the National Petroleum company of Mexico). the gas prices here is in liters! (1 gallon is 3.78 liters).

Fondest memory: i still wonder why the US still uses the english system of measurement while the rest of the world uses the metric system that many americans get lost in translation on what is a liter or a kiloeter or a degree celsius. (Only the USA, American Samoa and Liberia uses the English System and the rest of the world uses the metric system).

Magna.............$ 6.82 pesos per liter
    Premium..........$ 8.56 pesos per liter
    Diesel..............$ 5.79 pesos per liter

These prices are in liters, since 1 gallon = 3.7854 liters.

Pemex conversion rate at pump: 1 dollar = $ 13.00 pesos (+/-)
    (Better rate at money conversion offices)

This converts to:

Magna.............$ 2.53 dollars per gallon
    Premium..........$ 3.18 dollars per gallon
    Diesel..............$ 2.15 dollars per gallon

• Motorcycle

ATM's in Rosarito

by machomikemd Written Nov 19, 2009

cash anyone

Favorite thing: the international Atm's in Rosarito are like in other countries that you have to see if the atm that you are going into have international atm consortium markings like CIRRUS, MAESTRO, PLUS, DISCOVER and others and if doesn't have that logo then it is not an international ATM. Now in withdrawing money, they dispense in mexican pesos off course (when withdrawing from international atms worldwide, they dispense the local currency ok!) and they also have the standard withdrawal charge and the standard bank charges of your bank. the standard bank charge is 20 mexican pesos for any withdrawal wfrom 200 pesos to 5,000 pesos! You will get the most value for almost any transaction using pesos.

Fondest memory: It is recommended to only use ATMs located at banks, however you will also find these in supermarkets, both banks and ATMs. It is also convenient if your bank offers online access to your account. Checks are not used much. Most people pay their bills with cash

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Memories from way back

by malianrob Updated Mar 6, 2006

Favorite thing: Rosarito is different now than it was when I was used to come with my parents. It has always been concidered more of a weekend party destination for Southern California residents, primarily students. Now it is more than that sleepy little beach town that it used to be. More and more Americans are calling Rosarito and the neighboring communities their home. There is a huge realestate boom in this area and its primarily Americans who are purchasing a weekend getaway home or retirees who are looking to retire here. You can now find a Walmart, a Costco and a Home Depot here. There is also a new hospital in Tijuana that is catering to Americans.
    San Diego is only about 25 minutes away so people seem to feel safe here knowing that they are in a foreign country yet still very close to the States.

Fondest memory: I remember coming to Rosarito with my parents and my sisters ever since I was a little girl. We always vacationed together with my godparents and Rosarito and Ensenada was a popular spot for us.
    We would pack up into our brown van and head South of the border. Most of the time we camped out on the beaches of Ensenada. We would walk through the town of Rosarito and ride our ATV's. Or we would just hang out on the beaches all day.
    Now I take my kids and I hope they have just as much fun here as I did when I was a kid. Vacations are definitley the times you remember for the rest of your life.
    Rosarito and Ensenada have changed alot since I was a kid but it stil is a nice family spot to vacation at.

• Beaches

• supune's Profile Photo

Ay Koorooomba

by supune Written Feb 15, 2004

Favorite thing: Kooroomba is what you call a young coconut in Sinhala.

My mom and dad used to drink this all the time when they were a young couple. So we had to get them a taste.

The juice is light and sweet and refreshing

• Business Travel

• Pink_Pash's Profile Photo

When in Rosarito Beach, do...

by Pink_Pash Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: When in Rosarito Beach, do yourself a favor and relax. You must sit by the pool, or lounge by the pool, whatever you prefer with an ice cold beer. I'm not quite clear on the laws surrounding drinking on the beach, but if it's allowed, by all means load up your ice chest, roll out your beach towel, slather the bronzer (or sunscreen for you people with a conscience), put on your sunglasses and drink up. Another equally interesting and relaxing option would be to head out to the many restaurants or bars, that not surprisingly are open quite early and enjoy your drink there. The point is, drink some ice cold ones and enjoy yourself in the wonderful beach atmosphere.

Fondest memory: An acquaintance of mine has a house on the Rosarito Beach shores, except it's a couple of kilometers out of town. Anyway, it's a two story house, fully equipped for any weekend getaway. My friend let me have a set of keys and I let a couple of my closest female friends know I was on my way down to Rosarito for 4th of July weekend and that I was renting a van. Needless to say, in a matter of hours I had a van jam packed with girls ready to have the time of their life. As a result of this escapade, a great many of us were fired from our jobs at a well-known restaurant in San Diego for blowing off our shifts. Anyhow, we stopped at the many liquor stores that line Rosarito Beach's main drag and loaded up two out of our three ice chests. As we got to the house we set up for a full three day weekend and then proceded to sunbathe on the house's ample terrace. A few of us felt a little bold and decided to climb a couple of rocks that overlooked the beach right by the house. Remember, this house is not right by Rosarito it's about 15 kilometers out so there are a lot of rock formations and cliffs, and empty spaces between beach houses. So there we are, laying down on the rocks getting the best rays of sun to tan our pale skin, slowly giving way to sleep. Somewhere in my slumber I remeber hearing Casey (one of my fellow travelers) saying, 'here kitty, kitty, kitty'. I open my eyes and look towards her direction, only to realize that what she is calling over is not a kitty, but a mountain lion or bob cat. I was horrified but proceeded to direct them on how to get the heck out of there without arousing the anger or panic in our wild feline friend. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible, I actually, for a split second saw ourselves facedown on the rocks of Rosarito Beach, being eaten by a pack of hungry mountain lions.......funny.

• snmred's Profile Photo

Sit in the sun with a Corona...

by snmred Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Sit in the sun with a Corona in your hand and a good friend by your side.

Fondest memory: The coconut shells all over the beach. You can buy a coconut, shell and all and just pick a spot and go at it. The juice is wonderful.

• Not much to say here; take a...

by daBertl Updated Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Not much to say here; take a walk on the beach and sneak into some fine resort for a swim in the pool and a cool Margaritha at the pool bar.

Fondest memory: It's rather their memory than mine, but anyhow. In 1996 Hollywood moved south and lodged in Rosarito for a few weeks to shoot the big film 'Titanic' here. So I guess the local ladies will keep the event of having Leo in town as their all time memory.

• We were only here for a two...

by scooter3 Updated Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: We were only here for a two days and one night, but we bought some great stuff along the roads near Rosarito Beach... They have some of the most beautiful furniture for cheap prices that I've ever seen...I would definitely check out the furniture places if you're interested...

• supune's Profile Photo

The warm Water

by supune Updated Feb 16, 2004

Favorite thing: It's amazing how much warmer the water is after you go down south for few hours.

Even with the air feeling cool, the water was warmer than expected.

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Rosarito

Comments

Rosarito Favorites

Reviews and photos of Rosarito favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rosarito sightseeing.