Fun things to do in Rosarito

by Jim_Eliason
    by Jim_Eliason
  • Hotels / Resorts
    by lmkluque

Most Viewed Things to Do in Rosarito

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Last minute purchases

by malianrob Written Feb 18, 2006

Like i have said before, you can get some of the best deals right before you cross the border. Vendors know that you are on your weay out and they will lower the prices as low as possible. Dont get me wrong, the first price is always high. Never pay the first price they say, try to bargain. The closer you get to the border the quicker the price will come down.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Shopping

by malianrob Written Jan 22, 2006

One of the reasons for this trip was to buy some furniture for Pattys new place. She was moving out and needed a few things. So we got the truck and headed South of the Border. In Rosarito on the main Carretera you can find many places to buy fine rustic wood furniture. And for alot less than in the states. You can also find beautiful pottery that once you hit the states doubles in price.

Puerto Nuevo

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Nov 25, 2005

After a restless night of Rosarito fun, how 'bout heading down to Puerto Nuevo a.k.a. Lobster Village for some seafood!

Lobster Village is a popular destination for both tourists and locals alike who fancy a reasonably priced seafood meal. My Spanish speaking friends (VT'er ognini being one of them) always raves about this place. And so I finally got an opportunity to dine here one January day.

The following morning, after a sleepless night of partying in Rosarito (this is a different trip from the one Y., ZZ, and I took), the ten of us thought it would be a great idea to grub in Puerto Nuevo. Unfortunately however, when we got there (about 10'ish in the a.m.), nothing was even open yet. With weary legs, empty stomachs, and no patience, we decided to eat at the first place that "graciously" opened their doors to us. Bad mistake!!! The food was just terrible. Overpriced at $25 a plate (I think you can get it for $10 or so), the lobster tails were rubbery (overcooked) and the steak was hard (also overcooked). The only thing good tasting was the rice! If only I could remember the name of that place, I'd post it under Warning.

Nevertheless, even with such a poor culinary experience, I would still recommend a trip down to this village, especially if you're already in northern Baja. We were just unlucky that day. There's approximately 30+ restaurants to choose from serving up the same dishes. I would suggest looking for the longest lines/waits. That's usually a sign that an establishment is good. In addition to the restos, there's also little shops and arts and crafts stores to keep you occupied during your visit.

FYI, lobster season is from October thru March. During this time, the village will celebrate its annual Beer & Lobster Fest and the Steak & Lobster Fest, which both takes place on Avenida Rentería, the village's main drag.

Entrance to Puerto Nuevo A lobster and steak meal. Mac Daddy Arvie & Y.
    • School Holidays

• Pink_Pash's Profile Photo

Driving Towards Ensenada

by Pink_Pash Written May 3, 2004

I am not much of a seafood lover, however, beach life is quite another thing. I was born by the beach so my bias must stem from there.
    Finding myself at night hearing the waves crash towards the shore is quite soothing, as is the wonderful sight of a setting sun over a vast, azure, and foamy sea.
    Though I visit for Rosarito alone, I also cannot miss the opportunity to drive on the old highway, the one that gets you dangerously close to the edge and on razor sharp turns, just to view the wonderful scenery that dots the road as one heads southward toward Puerto Nuevo and its famous lobsters and finally to Ensenada to its Malecon, Port , and famed "La Bufadora" (forgive my lay speak, but I believe it's something like a geyser...from the ocean, that periodically blows up towards some cliffs) where you can view the wonderful spectacle of ocean water spraying countless feet up into the air. Just wonderful
    Be sure to enjoy your drive and stops in Puerto Nuevo and finally in Ensenada. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

A Generic but Beautiful Rosarito Sunset

• supune's Profile Photo

Rent a Horse or Pony

by supune Written Feb 15, 2004

I didn't get to try this, but I really wanted to try. Nobody else wanted to go with me. They charge $11 US per hour, but I'm sure you could bargain to get a better price.

I've never ridden a horse, so I wasn't sure how hard it would be to steer. But if someone came with me, I would have liked to try it.

rent-a-horse
    • Horse Riding

Rosarito Beach

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Jan 7, 2004

Since you are at a beach resort, why not consider having some fun in the sand? Well, I don't know much about this particular beach, but by the looks of it, it's not that popular. Well, at least the time we went. Perhaps the water is polluted or it was just cold, but I absolutely saw no one swimming at all. However, a fun alternative would be to go horseback riding on the coastline or play vollyball, fly a kite, throw around a frisbee, or simply just have a picnic by the sea.

• School Holidays

Papas & Beer

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Jan 7, 2004

As much as I joked about it being dead during the off peak season, I still think that Papas & Beer is a neat joint. It's open all hours of the day and night, and so if you just wanna hang out and grab some papas and/or beer during the daytime then this would be a cool place to do that in. I love their tropical forest/jungle theme and the place is pretty big. They also have a mechanical bull, so try that one after you've had a few drinks in the system.

Senor Frog's

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Jan 7, 2004

Senor Frog's features an upbeat and fun atmosphere and also serves up delicious Mexican food to boot. A house favorite is their "Aztec stone saucer" which is like a do-it-yourself taco thing served in a bowl made of volcanic rock. They also have huge-sized drinks, like the Mother Of All Margaritas, plus a full bar, and a $1.00 shot bar.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Jan 22, 2013

Other than some tacky tourists traps, the beach is the one and only draw for Rosarito. It is the first swimmable beach down the border (playa Tijuana is too polluted for safe swimming).

The Beach The Beach The Beach The Beach
    • Horse Riding

• gailica's Profile Photo

Day Trip

by gailica Written Jul 17, 2007

We took a day trip to Ensenada, MX from Rosarito. It was a lovely drive. There are many great shops and good restaurants. This is a major port for cruise ships so at times it's quite crowded.

Highway 1 Ensenada, MX Ensenada MX

• supune's Profile Photo

ATV rentals

by supune Written Feb 15, 2004

I didn't check on the pricing for renting an ATV but I got this cool picture of a guy popping a wheely.

Looks like fun.

atv popping a wheely
    • Motorcycle

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

The Main Drag - Benito Juarez Blvd.

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Jan 7, 2004

Benito Juarez Blvd. is the main drag in Rosarito. Take a stroll on this street lined with palm trees, bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, and other establishments.

A view from our hotel.
    • Study Abroad

Rosarito Hotels

• Corona Plaza Rosarito

Calle del Cedro #151, Blvd Benito Juarez Y Calle 151, Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

Satisfaction: Terrible

Good for: Couples

• Festival Plaza Hotel

A lot of Mexican beach cities cater to the college age party crowd. The festival Plaza hotel is one...

• Villa Serena Villager Premier

Avenida del Mar #543, Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

Satisfaction: Terrible

Latest Rosarito Hotel Reviews

Festival Plaza Hotel
Rosarito Beach Hotel
Latest: Jul 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Rosarito

Comments

Rosarito Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Rosarito locals.
Map of Rosarito