San Felipe Off The Beaten Path

• Off The Beaten Path
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by malianrob
    This is where we were stuck!

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in San Felipe

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Valle de los Gigantes (Valley of the Giants)

by malianrob Updated Jul 23, 2006

I had never done this before and I read about it so i thought it would be fun to do something new in San Felipe. They have tours that cost$25 . We decided to drive ourselves. You take the road that heads you on out to Puertecitos on the Hwy 5. It is about 15 miles South.You might not see anything in site that says Valle de los Gigantes for a while but follow the signs that say to Puertecitos then just as you are thinking to yourself am I going he right way? You will see the signs to keep going South to the valley of the giants. You do see alot of amazing cacti and they say they are about 100yrs old. You go through this alittle gate where a man will charge you $5 for entrance fee and thanks you for coming. I recommend you stay on the path even though they dont say to. I just think you should. I kept hearing some noise and i wasnt sure what it was but i am thinking it was the sound of rattle snakes. So my plan was to not even get out of the car. I took alot of great pictures but when I had enough and it was time to go we got stuck in the sand. You get to a certain point where it says 4X4 only. Our car isnt 4X4 so we decided to make a turn to head on back. We went off the path by alittle bit and ended up getting stuck. I wanted to freak out but i felt that if I did the kids would worry. I didnt see anyone else around, the entrance where the guy was at was somewhat far to where we were stuck, i heard what I thought were rattle snakes, it was a million degrees outside, and to top it off i had just seen a scary movie "The Hills Have Eyes" (people got stuck in the desert and were killed by some wierdos), so i was really trying to NOT fREAK OUT! It wasnt helping that my daughter kept reminding me of the movie. We got out of the car and started digging the tires out so we can get the heck out of there. We were stuck for probably 20 minutes, then finally we were out! Haleluja!!!! Then we saw some more tourist come around in a van. I know that wasnt a 4x4. All I can say is never again! OK, well maybe if I had a 4x4......

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Totoaba (Totoaba macdonaldi)

by mht_in_la Updated Dec 21, 2003

Totoaba

Now extinct, Totoaba was quite an amazing fish. This giant species can grow up to the size of an adult human, sometimes more than 200 pounds. The photo attached was not taken by me. It's from the photo archive (1956) of San Felipe's official promotion site http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/.

Spawning in the Colorado River delta, Totoaba was only found in northern Gulf of California. From an article I read, the Sea of Cortez used to be so full of Totoaba that local fishing boats cannot sail freely without running into those big guys. After years of exploitation by the Japanese, American, and local fishing communities, it's now extinct.

• Fishing
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: San Felipe

Comments

San Felipe Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of San Felipe off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Felipe sightseeing.