People / Language, Tijuana

Know about this?

• ON  A  STREET  IN  THE  DOWNTOWN  (CENTRO)
    ON A STREET IN THE DOWNTOWN ...
    by matcrazy1
    PARENTS AND THEIR 4 KIDS :-)
    by matcrazy1
    BLACK MAN - LOCAL OR VISITOR?
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Table-Side Serenade

by lmkluque Updated Mar 17, 2012

Senor Sandoval

It is a custom for roving Mariachis or a single guitar strumming singer to enter a restaurant in Tijuana and offer to play a requested song for you at your table. This is not only for tourists, it is also true for Tijuana residents. Of course, there is a price to pay and it should be negotitated before the song begins. Just ask how much for a song and decide if you'd like one or not. If you'd rather not, just say, "No Thank you."

This was our Troubador. His song price $2.00 and he sang his heart out and a bit out of tune but when he got to the melody, the song became recognizable. We chatted with him and found out that he was 86 years old and proud of it. He offered us a song without charge and meeting him was a highlight to our visit.

• Music

• trotador's Profile Photo

PROUD

by trotador Written Jan 10, 2003

Mexican flag

**Mexican people are so proud about their flag. In Tijuana (at least at that time, 1998) is the Mexico's biggest flag.
    **It is not a good idea to talk about sex in front of the ladies.
    **For Spanish speakers, as in most of the South America, some words do not sound good as culo, coger...
    **If a Mexican call you "cabrĂ³n" it's not rude.

• unigirl's Profile Photo

A favourite shot...

by unigirl Updated Oct 4, 2002

Elena and friends....

One of my favourite Florez pictures--this is one of my best friends to this day, Elena, with two little Mexican girls. Being a Spanish-speaker, they flocked to her! Even if you never encounter real locals in Tijuana, try to understand that real people do live there, including these two girls, wherever they may now be--it is not all about tacky tourism!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

We Love -Our Wairters- Love Us!

by lmkluque Updated Apr 12, 2012

The Royal Treatment!

In case you haven't noticed, I love the service I get in Tijuana restaurants. Of course the Servers love me too! I treat them respectfully, they treat me like a queen. I tip generously and they eagerly welcome me back! This picture is of the welcome given to my Slovak cousin by the waiters at the Guadalajara Grill upon our return. They catered to her every whim and she had a wonderful time. You can too!

• Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Do they like green color?

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 2, 2003

PAINTED  IN  BRIGHT  GREEN

I am not sure about it but I noticed that they paint quite a lot of buildings just in green; not pastel green like in many European Mediterranean countries (Italy) but bright, vivid green I could say. Hmm... I have probably never seen such green till that time.
    Why just green? Is the bright green paint cheaper there he? Or maybe it's national Mexican color? The flag of Mexico is green-white-red.

From my friend Dee (Yaqui) from Tehachapi, California, USA:
    You got it, they love green because it's in their flag. White is too bland and red is considered a little loud to them.
    Thank you, Dee.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Baseball cap or Mexican hat?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 31, 2003

BASEBALL  CAP  AND  MEXICAN  HAT

Enlarge my picture, please. You can see two Mexican guys: one wearing baseball cap (American style, I could say - they love baseball :-), the second wearing a hat, Mexican hat, am I wrong? Isn't Tijuana a city of mixed culture?

Hmm... I saw world famous somebreros only in stores there.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

City architecture - what a mess!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 25, 2003

WHAT  A  MESS!

I first looked at Tijuana from the bridge over the Tijuana River. My first impression: what a mess! You can add here: nice or terrible or interesting or..., what do you think?
    Do they build their houses (usually with no yards) wherever and however they want?

With or without kids?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 26, 2003

THE  COUPLE  WITH  THE  SMALL  KID

I noticed that most U.S. visitors to Tijuana leave their kids - especially smaller ones - at home. Hmm... I wonder why. What are the parents afraid of? Lower hygiene and/or security conditions?

But... look at my picture: as you can see there are couples with very small kids there as well :-).

Tipping

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 31, 2003

URSULA  AT  EL  TORITO :-)

Mexico is a country where tips are expected, as in many other countries.

In hotels and restaurants, tips are absolutely required.
    In restaurants, a 15% tip is customary.
    In hotels, tips for bellboys are usually based on the number of pieces of luggage they handle. In other situations, tips are given at your discretion.
    Taxis do not require a tip, except for a special tour or service.

Women

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 26, 2003

LOCAL  WOMAN  -  STREET  VENDOR

There are not many local women just on a street in Tijuana. Do they stay at homes and take care of their - ususally numerous kids?

But I found this woman as on my picture working as a street vendor although this profession seems to be mostly reserved for men. Am I wrong?

Like many local women she wears clothes in very bright (pink?) color. And she smokes a cigarette in public (almost impossible to see it in California).

More about local women:
    They love to speak very loudly and smile very loudly hehe.
    Sorry, it seems (like in most countries) that local ladies (older ones especially) are quite often (but NOT always) over-weighted - what do they eat?
    It's interesting that (in contrast to many countries) local guys are rather thin - do they work physically so hard? Maybe I should spend more time in Mexico hehe.

Dress code

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 20, 2003

ON  A  STREET  IN  THE  DOWNTOWN  (CENTRO)

Typically, dress is casual and comfortable, and surely related to the purpose of your visit. A few nightclubs and restaurants as I know do have dress restrictions, so call ahead to check if you are in doubt about what is appropriate.
    The weather can be really hot (in summer) in Tijuana, but bring a sweater or light jacket for cool days or nights, especially in the winter.

What is sombrero?

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 25, 2003

SOMBRERO

It's a hat with a wide brim (= part which sticks out all round), worn especially by men in Mexico.

Hmm... I didn't see any Tijuanian wearing sombrero but I saw a lot of sombreros in numerous stores there. Do they ever wear sombrero in Tijuana?

Sleeping Mexican boys

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 27, 2003

SLEEPING  MEXICAN  BOYS

Warning: it's a kitschy tip.
    Ready?

OK, enlarge my picture. There are a lot of such figures in various sizes made usually of plastic in many kitschy and not so kitschy gift stores of Tijuana.

Hmm... I have never seen sleeping Mexican boys (shepherds or who?) in bright red hats (sombreros) by dark green cactuses. Should I go more inland to see them, he?

• acemj's Profile Photo

Friendly locals

by acemj Written Oct 22, 2002

The locals in Tijuana are friendly, but keep in mind they will view most tourists as money bags! You will also notice that Mexicans of all ages will be working for your money and sometimes this can be a bit disheartening.

• wild80s's Profile Photo

PIROPOS

by wild80s Written Oct 7, 2005

O.K. If you are a Mexican Man reading this please don't take offense but I feel I can say this since I am Mexican. Mexican men are well known for their piropos, they are simply a way a man flirts with a woman by making flirtratious comments about or to her. If you have never been around this you might find it offensive but it's not meant in a derrogative way. Of course, like any other thing, you might have a bad one out there but you just ignore those. You might hear, 'Tantas curvas y yo sin frenos" or "So many curves and I'm without brakes", I've heard that one so many times in Tijuana, you choose what to do, ignore it or smile and keep going. I hope that by sharing this with you, I have kept you from forming a bad impression of those men out there if you happen to get a piropo, it's simply a part of the Mexican man's life. It's all in good fun and simply a way for them to compliment you.

• Study Abroad