Food / Drink, Tijuana

Know about this? Rate It!

• "La Casa" & our little snack...
    by TravelChick67
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

From Avenida Revolucion To Zona Rio

by lmkluque Updated Mar 18, 2012

Zona Rio is less turistic

Avenida Revolucion is the main tourist street of Tijuana. Several blocks to the east is a section called 'Zona Rio.' This was once the path of the Tijuana River that every year, flooded out the shacks and shanties of Tijuana's poorest citizens.

Finally, proper--basic--housing was developed and all these people were moved out of the path of the river. The river has been given a newer, safer path and a new area for shopping, restaurants, nightclubs and cultural centers was designed.

One of my favorite places is the Guadalajara Grill and here you see the waiter making and serving chicken fajitas, my favorite item on the menu--next to the Margaritas.

• Adventure Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Below the tower

by matcrazy1 Written Jul 26, 2003

BEER & TACOS

I stopped for the moment on my way to the downtown just in this pub/restaurant located just below the tower from the previous tip. Why just there? Because there were many people sitting there and the draft beer was good there, indeed.

Prices:
    Beer $0.99 (or 3 for $2.50)
    Tacos $1.00 for 3.

• Beer Tasting

• Judd's Profile Photo

Go to any one of the balcony...

by Judd Written Oct 4, 2002

Go to any one of the balcony restaurants and watchn the crowd on the stret below. It's a great way to see the buzz of activity on Revolucion. There is usually a waiter who walks around with a whistle and a bottle of tequilla, after a while, you don't even notice the whistle blowing in your ear.

The waiters are all very friendly, here are two of them - Jesus (the one in back) and his amigo. My old roommates are here as well, Bill is on front and Brian is to the right.

• aatkin's Profile Photo

Outdoor Market (Mercado Hidalgo)

by aatkin Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of my favorite places in Tijuana is the Mercado Hidalgo, which is located at Av. Independencia and Sanchez Taboada. This is an open air fruit and vegetable market. There also are stores that sell amazing piñatas, Mexican candies and Mexican house wares. There also are a few good restaurants there. I love to go the Mercado in the morning. My visit there is never complete without a stop at El Rincon del Oro for birria. Birria is a goat soup that is just fantastic. Don’t be put off by the goat thing. This is great stuff!

• aatkin's Profile Photo

Bring home some fresh tortillas

by aatkin Written May 16, 2004

Whenever I visit Tijuana, I always stop at a tortilleria or two and bring some home. FYI, they freeze just fine.

If you like flour tortillas, stop at Tortilleria la Adelita, on Niños Héroes, between 5th and 6th streets.

For corn tortillas, go to Tortilleria la Poblanita, which is near 7th St. and Niños Héroes.

Enjoy!

• TravelChick67's Profile Photo

Gourmet coffee and Cuban Cigars

by TravelChick67 Written Jun 18, 2004

I know, I know, you're in TJ so you should be drinking margherita's and beer, right? Well, that's fine too but one of my favorite things to do in TJ is sit at a sidewalk table at "La Casa Del Habano" and enjoy a nice cappuccino while hubby enjoys an espresso and a cuban. I usually have a little bit of dark choco in my purse also so I'll bring that out as well! I know, I'm strange! :)

La Casa Del Habano is THE place to do this. You can sit and watch all the people stolling by as you sip your coffee and puff your stogie.

We've been going there for years. The owner is terrific and he also ships if you're interested. You can see him in the black shirt to the left in the photo.

• Luxury Travel