El Torito, Tijuana

4.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

Revolucion Ave. No 879, Tijuana, Mex. 685-1636

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

El Torito Pub: Glen Miller?

by lmkluque Updated Mar 17, 2012

El Torito Pub

As with most restaurants on Revolution, El Torito Pub: Restaurant and Discotheque also has a nightlife and offers something besides drinks and a meal such as, live Mariachis, pool tables and even a mechanical bull for those who like a challenge.

However, what attracted me was the sound of Glen Miller's music coming out of El Torito Pub's doors. It was an interesting surprise, as most places along Revolution had either Mariachi music playing or one of the more up-to-date tunes.

El Torito Pub looks pretty new and my guess is that it stands in a rebuilt section that had burned down some years ago.

Favorite Dish: They serve mostly Mexican food, offer some seafood and of course drinks.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

El Torito: Inexpensive, good foof, good drinks

by malianrob Written Jul 29, 2007

During the day this place can dub as a family restaurant , at night its more like a club. During the day you can see families dining here, kids around.
    The drinks are inexpensive. $1 Corona beers, $2 Margaritas. The food is good and not pricey.
    They have a mechanical bull, to ride it its free. Also to ride the Orbitron is free too. My kids were actually here with their aunt, uncle and their dad and cousins and they had a wonderful time.
    Irma and Anthony had their hair braided here too.
    What I like most about this place is that you can people watch off the balcony as you drink inexpensive brews.

El Torito: Delicious Mexican food

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

EL  TORITO

El Torito is a restaurant, pub, bar and disco est. 1987. Good location, great views for la Revo from a balcony, very nice (surely English speaking) service and first of all delicious Mexican food. Not the least expensive place in Tijuana but surely cheaper than in San Diego.
    Prices in menu in US$ and I paid cash in US$.

• Beer Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

El Torito: Salsa? What's that?

SALSA  PICANTE

When I heard the word "salsa" I thought about Latin dance hehe. But when we ordered our dishes in El Torito restaurant the waiter brought chips and 3 bottles: one of them you can see on my picture.
    It's... SALSA PICANTE (= spicy salsa)! It's hot (or very hot) Mexican sauce.
    Hmm... I didn't know it, I suppose. It seems that we use ketchup (various kinds) whereas they (in Mexico and at least in southern U.S. states) use salsa. Am I wrong?

It's easy available in each grocery either in Tijuana and in Southern California. But if it's not available at your location here is my RECIPE:

INGREDIENTS:
    1-2 cloves garlic diced fine
    2 tomatoes cubed
    1/2 onion finely chopped
    2-3 green chillies chopped
    Some coriander leaves roughly chopped
    Lemon juice
    Salt to taste

METHOD:
    Mix all the ingredients. Wait 15-20 minutes for best flavor. Eat with chips, baked tortillas etc.
    Good apetite :-).

El Torito: Maggi and Tabasco

MAGGI  AND  TABASCO

When we ordered our dishes in El Torito restaurant the waiter brought chips and 3 bottles: salsa picante, maggi and tabasco!

MAGGI
    We add maggi to a chicken broth, one of traditional soups in Poland. That's why I have it in my kitchen, I think :-).
    Where do they add maggi to in Mexico? I added it to my Mexican chicken soup, quite different soup than Polish chicken broth hehe.
    Hmm... do you know what maggi is? Surely liquid spice. What else? Hmm... I don't know, I think maggi contains some spices from SE Asia, it tastes somewhat like soya sauce - am I wrong?

TABASCO
    Tabasco is not so popular in Poland although big companies do much to make it more popular - couldn't they lower it's price hehe?
    Tabasco is a pepper sauce very popular in the USA, I suppose. It's still made from tabasco pepper mash that's been aged up to 3 years in oak barrels, mixed with high-grain all-natural vinegar and a small amount of Avery Island salt. This unique aging process delivers unmatched concentration and piquancy - not just heat or bite.
    So, don't you like tabasco?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

El Torito: Burrito? What's that?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 27, 2003

MY  BURRITOS  IN  EL  TORITO  RESTAURANT

I ordered chicken burritos (you may order beef ones as well) in El Torito restaurant. The waiter brought 2 quite large burritos with some white rice, beans (in Mexican style = grated, tasted much better than looked hehe) and small vegetable salad.
    Everything for only $3 (tax included, add 15% tip). And I must say that the burritos were delicious there, better than those ones I usually ate in Taco Bells in the USA along my USA trip later.

WHAT IS BURRITO?
    It's a type of Mexican food (burritos in plural). Burritos consist of a filling, usually shredded or dried meat, often mixed with a chile sauce, wrapped in a large, thin flour tortilla. They are a speciality of the Mexican State of Sonora where they are often packed into saddlebags.They are typically served with beans in Mexican style. I think it's the most popular (and cheap) Mexican food, am I wrong?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

El Torito: Mexican chicken soup? What's that?

MY  MEXICAN  CHICKEN  SOUP  IN  EL  TORITO

There were three soups to choose from in El Torito restaurant:
    - Tortilla soup (US$ 2.50)
    - Onion soup (US$ 2.95 - what a price :-)
    - Mexican Chicken soup (US$ 3.00).
    I usually don't eat soups but I ordered Mexican Chicken soup. The waiter brought large bowl of thick, dark brown soup, hmmm... can you imagine this aroma? :-). I never tasted such soup till that time and I must say (Ursula, too) that it was delicious and made me full before tasting next dishes.

WHAT IS MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP?
    It's famous and popular Mexican soup made of chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breasts), various vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, avocado) and spices (red bell pepper, jalapeno peppers). Each cook has his/her own way of cooking, I suppose.

El Torito: Tastes better than looks

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 31, 2003

MY  BEANS  IN  EL  TORITO  RESTAURANT

I used to eat beans either canned (added to various mixed salads) or boiled in Poland.
    Hmm... forget about it in Mexico. They serve beans in Mexican style that is boiled and grated perfectly to make something like... paste, pulp - am I right? Why don't they call it "a bean's paste" instead of simple beans?
    What do they add there? E-mail me, please if you know. Oh, there was something (?) white on the top of my beans - what was that? Hehe.

Hmm... I think that the Mexican style dark-brown beans look like... sorry, auto-cenzure, it's a family page hehe. Never mind, it tastes much better than looks, not to mention aroma :-). Am I wrong?

From my friend Linda (lmkluque) from San Diego:
    Beans in Mexican style are "frijoles refritos" or commonly called "frijoles" (pronounced "free-hol-lays").

They are "pinto" beans (frijoles) boiled with various ingredients--each cook has his/her own way of cooking these beans. Some of the ingredients used, water/cauldo=broth, salt, pork fat/ham bone, garlic, onion.
    The boiled beans can be served as a kind of soup with ingredients such as tomato, onion, garlic, chili, cilantro and sometimes chopped carrot.
    The second use of frijoles is to refry=refritos them in pork fat and mash them, not grate them. The white stuff on top of the beans is cheese = "queso."

From my friend KimberlyAnn from Cody, Wyoming, USA:
    The Mexican Beans, actually called Refried Beans in English are not grated. They are well cooked beans, usually pinto beans, then they are placed in a pan to fry where they are mashed (not grated as you stated).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

El Torito: Mixed molcajete? What's that?

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 4, 2003

MY  MIXED  MOLCAJETE  IN  EL  TORITO

Ursula, my wife ordered a dish called "mixed molcajete" with explanation that it's "mexican bowl" in the menu of El Torito restaurant.
    They served the following Los Molcajetes (Mexican Bowls):
    - Shrimp Molcajete ($9.99 - what a price :-),
    - Mixed Molcajete ($9.00),
    - Beef Molcajete ($8.00),
    - Chicken Molcajetes ($7.50).
    All prices (in US$) include tax but not a tip (add 15% if satisfied).

So, what was that? Enlarge my picture, please. The waiter brought black, strange in shape and quite large bowl. It was hot so he put it on the ceramic plate. Did they get the bowl out the oven? I think so.
    What was inside? A lot of pieces of boiled(?) meat with a lot of various vegetables - everything in thick boiling liquid/sauce. What an aroma? Do you feel it?

Although I wasn't hungry after Mexican chicken soup and burritos but I ate at least half of Ursula's mixed molcajete. She helped me to eat my dishes before hehe. I must simply admit that it was the best Mexican food I ever tasted and still it is... in my memory.

From my friend Linda (lmkluque) from San Diego:
    Mixed Molcajete is the name the restaurant gave to this item on the menu.
    Molcajete is the Spanish word for this bowl which is a "mortar". It is not usually used as a bowl for eating from, but actually is the mortar and with a pestle, substances such as spice or chili is crushed.

From my friend Nat (b1bob) from Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA:
    I found your answer on the molcajete from Luis Salas (of Veracruz). If you give credit for this, it all belongs to him:
    About the word "Molcajete". It turns out to be a rustic "blender". That is, a stone with a pot-form which was used by our ancestors to smash spice, tomatoes and onions. In a word, special to make sauce. Well, not only to do so, but also to grind corn in order to make a mass which would be used for tortillas. So, it was supposed to be a two-pieced utensil. As I said, a pot-form base and a rectangular thick round-edged stone which was the "grinder". This was used by our ancestors, but if you go to some small towns in Mexico, you can still find people using those molcajetes, because they swear that the sauce tastes much better if you make it with them, rather than if you use a blender. I can tell you that is largely true, adding the fact that it is not as hot as if you use the blender. Probably because you distribute the veins in the chili when you blend it, that is "lo toreas" (you make it brave) and if you use a molcajete, you just grind it.
    Thank you Luis Salas and Nat :-).

El Torito: We have bread they have tortillas

MY  TORTILLAS  IN  EL  TORITO  RESTAURANT

The waiter brought us a few tortillas although we didn't order them. I noticed that they (in Mexican restaurants either in Tijuana and in the USA) often serve tortillas (free) just like we serve bread (sometimes with home-made lard) in Polish restaurants in Poland.

WHAT IS TORTILLA?
    Flat, thin bread made from nixtamalized corn. The most important aspect of Mexican cooking, I think. You can easily buy them (as semi-product) in each grocery and food supermarket at least in Mexico and the USA. Hmm... not available in my TESCO supermarket in Tychy, Poland :-(((. But I started to ask them about tortillas ---> maybe they will order them soon hehe.

From my friend Linda (lmkluque) from San Diego:
    The Tortillas in your photo are tortillias de harina = flour tortillas. These are different from corn tortillas, made of corn flour.

El Torito: Mexican chips instead of table-spoon

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 31, 2003

MEXICAN  CHIPS  IN  EL  TORITO  RESTAURANT

The waiter brought us that bowl of Mexican chips (made of corn flour and not so traditional, I suppose :-) as on my picture although we didn't order them - just free snacks?
    Hmm... I noticed that they used chips instead of table-spoon to eat some thick sauces or even soups. Don't forget to try it and please do not eat with your hands - you are in civilized country:-). Not comfortable? No worries - they gave us regular table-spoons to eat our Mexican chicken soup. It's not a Chinese restaurant with chopsticks and sometimes (rarely) with neither forks nor spoons hehe.

Just one my small suggestion (it's my western "improving things" hemisphere of my brain):
    couldn't they sell chips in national Mexican colors (red, green and white), he? :-))).

From my friend Linda (lmkluque) from San Diego:
    Tortilla chips, in the photo it looks like corn tortilla chips which is very common.
    Flour tortilla chips are not as common, but popular with American tourists.
    Tortilla chips do come in red and green and also black - usually in the USA. They are not typical at all. Tortilla chips are typically made from older tortillas. They are cut in wedges from the round tortilla and then fried until crispy.

• El Torito: Not that good

by guillermocoteraf Written Jul 1, 2006

I went to the restaurant after reading hear but they forgot to mencion that the food is fair but the place is horrible to start I went in the afternoon its a very dirty place the floor was sticky the odor was terrible the bath room didnt have water, the waitress was nice but in a dirty uniform. And as a Mexican turist I hate they have prices in USD and not in pesos or both as all other restaurants do there are cleaner places in Tijuana for that price

Favorite Dish: Molcajete has a lot of sauce but little stuff to eat specialy the shrimp Molcajete had to dive in hot (temperature) saucen to find a few shrimps

Instant Answers: Tijuana