Taxi Cab, Tijuana

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxi Cab
  • Taxi Cab
    yellow taxi
  • Safest Transportation

by TJresident Written Jul 8, 2013

The safest way to get around in Tijuana is by using one of the Yellow Cabs located right at the border as soon as you cross. All the Yellow Cab drivers are insured and are registered. They are also one of the only companies that require their drivers to take random drug tests. Most of the drivers speak perfect English and those who dont do understand enough English to get you around. The prices for the Yellow Cabs has surprizingly gone down over the past years since they now have a set amount that is charged to go to different areas in Tijuana. Before drivers were allowed to charge what ever they thought a passenger would pay. They also now have a special price service for 10 pesos or $1 to go downtown from the border in a taxi that you share with others , otherwise the price to go downtown in a cab by yourself is $4 . You can find all the prices to where you need to go on a board located at the taxi stand at the border. Due to the new entrance into Tijuana you need to walk across the bridge on the Mexican side to get to the Yellow taxis that will take you downtown for the dollar or 10 pesos. If you continue to walk straight after crossing the border you will also run into more Yellow Cabs but these do not take you for the dollar these will charge the $4. It is never recommended to take one of the Taxi Libres who are driving around at the border seeking customers. These taxis are usually cloned and are not registered and the drivers are very questionable since they do not have any requirments to drive these cabs. Never get into any cab that looks suspicious or the driver is not wearing some type of dress code. All the drives of the Yellow Cabs wear long sleeved Yellow shirts with black dress pants. On Fridays and Saturday nights the drivers must be wearing a black tie. If not do not even get in the cab. When taking a Yellow Cab if the driver tries to over charge you , report them. If you were overcharged and you report the driver he will have to return the amount overcharged and he will be disaplined. I have been a resident of Tijuana since 1994 and will only use Yellow Cabs when crossing the border. Another service they will provide is if it is your first time to Tijuana and you want to go drinking but do not feel all that safe for a fee the driver will stay with you until you are ready to leave. All you have to do is ask. These drivers know the safest places to go and where you will get the best service

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Tijuana Taxi

by Agraichen Written Jun 24, 2013

Driving in Mexico can be an experience as most drivers are very aggressive. The Tijuana Taxis are no exception.

The easiest method of getting from the Tijuana Airport to the border crossing is by taxi. Be prepared for a "rock 'n roll" ride for the couple miles between the airport and the border.

The cost is 180 peso which for 2-3 miles seems expensive but the trip is an experience.

There are multiple transport companies operating at the airport but all charge the same.

• Taxi Libre in Tijuana

by annestromberg Written Aug 31, 2011

taxi libre

I have spent almost 90% of my time in Playas (the beach area of Tijuana) over the past 5 years. A few months after arrival I found a Taxi Libre driver that I have used ever since, probably 2 dozen times a month. I would pass up as many as 7 or 8 taxis waiting to find one who had "usable" seat belts. (Most taxis have them but these are buried under the back seat and most drivers are not willing to dig them out!) Then one day I found a taxi, with a driver who spoke English (I don't speak Spanish inspite of my longevity here!), who had usable seat belts, and who was a CAREFUL driver. Here there is a tendency to roll through stop signs as well as red lights etc. I think most of them got mail order driver's licenses. THis driver turned out to be incredibly honest and extremely helpful. He is metered and his charges are reasonable. I wouldn't have been using him all this time if that were not so.

Today (and for the past four years, once I got to know that he could be trusted) in addition to ferrying me to and fro around Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada as needed he acts as a concierge. He will go to the market, the pharmacy, pay my utility bills (which means standing in line) and go to the bank for me. I give him my ATM card and he brings me the cash which should give credibility to his honesty. Of course I pay him for these services including a tip.

He does not serve customers he does not know, late at night.

If a trip to this part of Baja California is in your plans and you need a GREAT taxi driver!
    His cell number is 011 52 1 664 228 1111, Juan Garcia. From Mexican phones 440 664 228 1111.

This picture (the only one I have taken in 2006) does not show his current taxi. This one was replaced. Today the taxi is orange and white and of course a later model vehicle.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Business Travel

• super deal for my family

by charliegates Written Jul 18, 2011

My family and I recently took a six week automobile trip around the US. We originally planned to visit El Paso/Ciudad Juárez but decided to stick to El Paso due to the violence that was occurring in the area. We also planned on visiting Tijuana and walking and taking random taxis around town for the day. As our departure day approached I changed plans and attempted to find a tour guide for safety reasons.

While reviewing Craigslist I found a taxi libre posting. I began an Email dialogue with the poster and then followed up with a phone call. I was apprehensive but we agreed on a rough route, price, and details of pick up and drop off. We wanted some tourist shopping, seafood on the beach, and driving around town to see the sights.

On our day of arrival we were late, and lost as my son walked through a no return turnstile and we had to follow. Our driver who had emailed a picture of himself to us. We finally found him waiting for us even though we were over 30 minutes late. As we loaded into his small car I was worried about the day. Our driver took us to a very nice local spot for breakfast. We had super service and food. We had told our driver that everywhere we ate we would purchase a meal for him. We had six meals for approx. $40.00.

We then drove to Rosarito where we shopped for a while. During this time our driver talked to us and answered questions and pointed out little things. While shopping the driver carried packages to the car, stood with my children at times (14, 12, and 8). We drove to the beach had a nice lunch and returned to Tijuana where we did additional shopping. At the end of the day the driver offered to take us to his mother in laws family restaurant. The driver disclosed up front this was his Mother in Laws place and a description of the menu. We ate at his Mother in Laws and had a great time. The place was small but the food was good and everyone was very friendly.

At the end of the day the driver dropped us off and we begin the process of crossing the border at San Ysidro which was not very enjoyable, but it seemed to be the norm for that location.

I would recommend this taxi / guide to anyone! In fact I think by brother and sister in law may be using him next spring when they visit. I do not know how much random rides would have cost but the security of having a known person and someone to facilitate the visit made the choice of our driver a great choice. Feel free to contact me if you would like to use this guy. Will forward his address and phone number to you.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Tijuana taxi... music and drink

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

TIJUANA  TAXI  (REAL!)

What does it mean Tijuana Taxi? Do you want the whole list? OK, just my top 3:

1. Just taxi cab from Tijuana - I didn't take it although I was asked to do that by numerous taxi drivers just after crossing the U.S. border. They (cars, not drivers :-) are often yellow (it seems that each company has its own color), always large (in my European mind hehe), always with painted number and almost always old.

2. Drink

Ingredients:
    2 oz Gold tequila
    1 oz Blue Curacao
    1 oz Tropical fruit schnapps
    Lemon-lime soda

Mixing instructions:
    Pour tequila, curacao, and schnapps over ice into large highball glass. Fill with lemon-lime soda and garnish with orange slice and a cherry.

I am going to make that drink and drink it soon, did you ever? :-)

3. Song title! Listen to the song just now, please:
    TIJUANA TAXI

So - drink and turn your speakers on :-)))! VIVA MEXICO!

By a taxi to... Ensenada

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

TIJUANA  TAXI

On the Mexican side of the border, the taxis are lined up (by the dozens!) just in from the border, after passing through the pedestrian walkway gates. Prices are somewhat consistent, but can vary a bit from cab to cab depending on the variables. Get a price from the driver BEFORE you get in the taxi.

I didn't take any taxi but I asked how much it's to the downtown (finally $5) and to Ensenada (first interesting destination - I hope so - inside Mexico).
    The taxi driver started to tell me long story about the beauty of Ensanada and his comfortable taxicab and finally said... that regular price is $100 but he has special price for me... $90. I asked some U.S. tourists about it later and they paid... $150 for one day in Ensanada - in both directions hehe.

Conclusion: BARGAIN, BARGAIN, BARGAIN!

TAXI SERVICES:

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Tijuana Taxis

by machomikemd Written Nov 19, 2009

a taxi libre

one thing to distinguish the taxis here in tijuana and rosarito area from the ensenada area is that the taxis here in Tjuana comes into 2 kinds, the taxi libre (mostly white with a big, red stripe and "Taxi Libre" written on the door. These taxis have meters and cost about half of what the yellow ones do. The downside is that the drivers speak less English. If you don't speak Spanish and are going somewhere other than the standard destinations, you'll have better luck if you bring a map or written address with you. To avoid any trouble, check to be sure the driver starts the meter when he takes off) which are cheap since shared rides with strangers up to 4 is allowed. The other kind is the yellow taxis ( taxis do not have meters. Negotiate your price before you get in. They's the more expensive type of taxi here, but most drivers speak some English) and no flag down rate since there is no fare meters!

an example of a taxi company is Tele Taxis de Tijuana A.C.
    Phone number: (562) 624-7116

• mikarov99's Profile Photo

Taxi Libre

by mikarov99 Written Nov 3, 2007

The taxi libre that means "free cab" is not free but is more cheaper than the yellow taxis that you find at border, they generally have a meters ride cost 6.50 pesos and 2.50 pesos per half kilometer at day, at night they cost 7.50 pesos and 3.50 pesos per half/km.

To find it at border first walk few blocks you see a white whit red stripe taxis whit the name taxi libre.

Be wary is better talk whit them in spanish than in english to reduce the risk of ripoffs some taxi libre drivers have altered meters or shut down them, so is better agree the price before, and check if have the official taxi drivers id.

Ar examples of costs are 25 pesos ($2.50) from the border to the downtown, 100 pesos ($10) from the border to the Tijuana's airport or 60 to 130 pesos ($6 to $13) from the border to central camionera. The cost can be a little more expensive or cheap, depend of our skills.

• heitzenrater's Profile Photo

Tijuana Taxi

by heitzenrater Updated Feb 24, 2006
    P.S. split the price with your friends!

So if you are going to old Tijuana one way to make it there, once you waked across the boarded, it to take a taxi. Going from the boarder to downtown is a long walk and you will get hit by a car (so don't try it). The local yokels will attempt to get you into a cab from the moment you step in mexico. The first group of people will ask for 6 dollars. The next way will offer 5. If you like bartering you can get one for 4 dollars. I know because i tried offering 3 dollars to a ton of taxi's and then 4 dollars. Finally got some guy to bite on 4. Have fun and drink 99 cent Beers.

IF YOU LIKE MY PLEASE GIVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK. THANKS.

• Libre Taxi!

by aycha Written Feb 16, 2006

Once you get across the border at San Ysidro head towards the taxi stand. Once you see all the yellow taxis, keep going straight and cross the street. The yellow taxis are expensive. Cross the street and walk to the next block. On the right hand side, you'll find a taxi stand for Libre Taxi. Not quite libre (free) but close to it! They're metered and fare from the border to Avenida Revolucion is only $3! They're white with orange red text and the words "Libre Taxi".

Taxis especiales

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 18, 2003

TAXI  ESPECIALES

There are two different kinds of what maybe called taxi in Tijuana:
    Taxis especiales = "special" taxi
    Los taxis de ruta = "route taxis".
    What is the difference between Route Taxis and Especial Taxis?

First about TAXIS ESPECIALES:
    There are just normal taxi = you take them to get where you want and you pay for your itinery..

Los taxis de ruta

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 18, 2003

LOS  TAXIS  DE  RUTA

Now about LOS TAXIS DE RUTA:
    Locals call them just taxi. They take a lot of passengers for a small fee for fixed itinery. They stop when their passengers want. Less passengers higher fare - usually they wait for as many passengers as can get inside.

• pobrecita's Profile Photo

There is a bus service, but I...

by pobrecita Written Oct 4, 2002

There is a bus service, but I found it much easier, and very cheap to use their taxis, which work almost the same way a bus would. They drive up and down the same route all day, with their destinations painted on the side of the car so you know which one to take. Just hop in and pay when you get out. Fare is almost always $0.25 to $0.50.

• Avryle's Profile Photo

Three options- 1. Park on the...

by Avryle Written Oct 4, 2002

Three options- 1. Park on the US side and walk (your best bet for a simple day/evening trip into TJ) 2. Drive your own vehicle across (not highly recomended unless you plan on continuing on into Mexico after your foray into TJ) 3. Mexicoach (fantastic for continuing on to Rosarito Beach or Ensenada) Costs $1.50 one-way from 'Border Parking' on the US side to the bus station in TJ. $4.00 one-way from TJ to Rosarito.
    Once you cross the border, the best bet is to grab a taxi over the Avenida Revolucion (sp?). Should run you about $4-5.00 for your entire group be it 2 or 8 people that you cram into the cab. Hold on tight, 'cause there's nothing like a Tijuana cab ride!

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Taxi

by frankcanfly Written May 4, 2003

Once you pass through the gate, you'll be offered many opportunities to go for a Taxi ride..... it's relatively inexpensive, if you barter with them for a moment.

Instant Answers: Tijuana