Being Harassed, Tijuana

Stay Away
    by heitzenrater
  • robbery

by sonystealth Written Aug 10, 2012

Dear sir/ madam, I would like to share this with you all.
    On 08/09/2012, and arround 12:30am, i went to Tijuana mexico with some friends and on the corner of adalitas and chohella street, i got robbed by a mexican guy with his four others. they were surrounding me and my friend. The way that they did it, one of them that he was following us, and stood behind me with knife on my throught from behind while his other friends were watching. He tried to grab my two peaces necklaces, however he only managed to get one of the peaces and i found the other one on the street.
    the necklace that i had worth and they took my information incase of a contaact o to three hundred dollars i got it from my mother and this the reason why i couldn't take it off of my neck. So becareful becareful becareful my friends.
    the police in tj, tried to find those guys and they took my information incase of a contact they did contact me once at 5 am and i wasn't able to answer after that they never called me back eventhough i have called them to get more info about the suspects.

• i was harasssed & scamed by cops

by malik212 Written Mar 21, 2011

well where should i begin for starters i was having a alright time i walked across the border took a few pics along the way & went threw turn styles & in mexico tijuana so i hit a few pharmacias i hit a few of them & the policia i guess was watching me.so they stopped & did a bull *** search on me . they thought i had drugs on me but didnt find jack sh** i 4got i had my military id on me thought they was gona hold me for ransom or some *** but thank god the idiots didnt know english & they gave me my id & after asking me where i'm from & searching all my *** mind you my hands are on the hood of that dirty ***en car my papers flying all ova the place i ' m surprised they didnt take my $$ i had i only had $40 in mexican $$ & $15 in us but yeah those low life savages are real ***ed up i lost all confidence in them , & i wont be back there anytime soon . hope those reject get sucked up by a tisjuami well they cowards gotta live there in the 3rd workd *** hole i think thats partial pay back

• POLICE BRUTALITY IN TIJUANA -SENIORS BEWARE

by rubyslyppr Written Nov 17, 2007

On November 8, 2007 at about 4:00 a.m. we crossed the border at Tijuana, not worried about anything because we have driven the Baja several times. Not a mile past the border, we were pulled over by Tijuana police, told that they had a report that an RV similar to ours was stolen, PULLED US OUT OF OUR TRUCK, SLAMMED US UP AGAINST OUR VEHICLE, PULLED GUNS ON US, TOOK OUR WALLETS, PULLED OUT ALL OUR CASH AND CREDIT CARDS. THEY ROUGHED US UP PRETTY GOOD FOR NO REASON. THEY STOLE OVER $500 OUT OF OUR WALLETS. We are in our late 50's, do not drink alcohol, were not rowdy or disrespectful. Last year we were stopped in Tijuana and asked to see our permit to drive an RV in the city limits. Of course, this was also bogus but the officer said he would impound our vehicles unless we paid him $180. We spend alot of money in Mexico, we have a home in La Paz and generally love the Mexican people but this is getting ridiculous.

• Seniors

• Mexican Juges are also highly corrupt

by consult3usa Written Oct 10, 2007

I tried the court system by refusing to pay the bribe. The judge did not listen to me and send me to the jail even I was not guilty of anything. You can not stand in the jail for even five minutes, because there are bunch of naked men urinating every where. I had to pay all my cash to the jailer
    without any receipt and had to walk to the boarder. Mexicans are nice people, but the Mexican officials are ruthlessly corrupt .

• Spa and Resort

• Corrupt Tijuana Police

by anthonymills Written May 14, 2007

I have heard and have been warned about bad Tijaua Police. I have been to Mexico many times and during the early ninteen eighties worked in and out of the Mexican part of the Gulf of Mexico for a year. Never had any trouble at all in Mexico until last Saturday, May 12, 2007. After a few hours in T.J. decided to head back to the boarder. I attended Mass, ate, purchased some goods at a local bakery and caught a taxi. When I arrived at the Mexican side of the boarder three Mexican police accosted me the second I departed the taxi. They ordered me to stand still and asked what I had in my sack. When I answered baked goods they said I had to spread eagle on a post to be searched. They pilfered through my pockets and my money went flying to the pavement. Since I have been around a while I knew better than to bring a wallet and a credit card. In a shirt pocket I had one identification and some twenty dollars bills in addition to some U.S. currency in my pockets. When the T.J police didn't find anything they could make an issue they continued the search when lo and behold one policeman felt my left shirt pocket where they thought they found some pills. The one police men said, "Ah-ha; what is this?" I told him to take it out and see. You should have seen the look on that man's face when he discovered that he found a Rosary. I now glared at the Police, picked up my money and departed. - I would advise all foreigners, U.S. and Canadian Citizens to Stay Away from Tijauana until the local Government there can assure that visitors to Tijuana will not be victoms of corrupt policemen.

Anthony Mills

• Soliciting bribes right at the US point of entry

by mikehosley Written Apr 29, 2007

At midnight on this Friday night 4/28/07 where the cabs drop you off at the US point of entry, right where you must step on ot the curb and enter into the sidewalk that leads to the border crossing, 2 TJ police asked for my ID. I had a US passport in my back pocket and whipped it out with a smile, staring right into the eyes of the taller cop. The shorter one says "you got any drogggs wit you?" and I said no, just dropped off some seats to be re- upholstered. had about 5 waters and 2 beers, smiling. Calls me a liar, telss me don't call him a liar, tells me i'm high. Shines a little flashlight in my face and has me step back into the dark. Tells me we are going downtown to the doctors office to see if he thinks I am high, the little one says "you like it the coca, no?" and they take my shoes off to check them. Get in my wallet, find the money for the upholstery and paint work I went across to arrange- about 600.00 in hundreds and 2 twenties, a few singles.
    He takes a single out of my wallet and says it was rolled up like I was snorting cocaine from it. It was folded up, not rolled up. OH no, look at this. you are a liar, we going downtown to the station. I get it now, so I say "can't I just pay the fine here? I want to go home. ( I am wearing a two tone Rolex thay have not seen yet) So they lead me back about 500 feet to a place where they can kill me or beat me up and no one can see us. They get 100 each and I walk home to my internet connection to tell you stay away! I'll stop investing and trying to work with people in Mexico from now on- I lose out because even from San Diego, you just can't walk down for a meeting anymore.

• Business Travel

• heitzenrater's Profile Photo

They are all over you!

by heitzenrater Updated Feb 24, 2006

Stay Away

So they send little cute kids who juggle to you in the hopes that you will feel sorry for them. These kids are like Vultures. If you gave every kid a dollar you would go broke! Well have fun, be safe, and don't let them get your money. You worked hard for it!
    IF YOU LIKE MY POST PLEASE GIVE POSITVE FEEDBACK, THANKS.

• foxglove23's Profile Photo

Restaurant Scams

by foxglove23 Written Jan 24, 2006

There are representatives that stand outside their restaurants and try to tempt customers to eat there with their great lunch specials. We stopped in for one of these specials. The food was good. But as we were sitting there the bartender started walking over blowing a whistle and holding a bottle of Jose Cuervo. He grabbed my friend and started tooting his whistle and shaking her head and then, holding her head in his arm, he poured tequila down her throat despite her objections and attempts to pull his hand away. He did the same thing to me, even pulling me back into my chair by my shoulders as I tried to get away. It would have been just an interesting experience...but then he demanded $8 from us. We refused to pay it saying that we had told him no in the first place. We ended up giving him a dollar or two. But when we got the bill it was higher than the listed prices (no doubt getting us back for refusing to pay to be harassed). The bartender told us we had 4 shots a piece when he poured it down our throats. But not only did he force us to drink it, it must have been watered down because I never felt a thing. I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking and I should have at least been tipsy. So my suggestion is to put up a better fight with these guys than we did. They overcharge for watered down liquor.

• draguza's Profile Photo

Women watch out!

by draguza Written Oct 30, 2005

Street in Tijuana

Tijuana has a reputation for being dirty, crime-ridden and rather dangerous. I did not encounter any crime during my trip, but given the prevalence of bars and seedy strip clubs, I can see how bad things could happen. I also must point out that during the course of my trip, I didn't venture far from the tourist-oriented sections surrounding the immediate border: Avenida Revolucion, and the streets in between. Nevertheless, I was with a young married couple and the lady was often "harrased" in the streets by the locals who were literally grabbing her hand and telling her loudly "how beautiful she was". I suggest if you are a woman it is strongly recommended you do not travel to Tijuana alone!

• Women's Travel

• wild80s's Profile Photo

Children begging for money

by wild80s Written Oct 7, 2005

I love children but let me warn you about the children begging for money. If a child comes to you to ask for change and you give him/her money, more than likely you will be surrrounded by all the other kids that will also be begging for money. They will follow you around until you can loose them or they get tired of asking. I know that the sight of some of these children just makes you want to help but I just wanted to put that out there. Believe me, it's happened to me..

• Tijuana Cops

by jamespancake Written Aug 10, 2005

My friends and I were searched by the cops in Tijuana twice last night. The cops demanded a bribe the first time. The second time (a different batch) they just took the cash from our pockets when they searched us.

Stay away from unlit areas and take cabs at night to avoid it. Or, a better idea, go somewhere else, like not Mexico.

• School Holidays

• Lensmeister's Profile Photo

Groping, begging & pickpockets.

by Lensmeister Written Jul 23, 2005

If you get the bus then this probably won't happen half as much.
    When we walked across the ladies I was with were subjected to being touched. A rather opressive undercurrent is in evidence & the feeling of 'about to be pickpocketed or robbed'. Children begging isn't a nice thing to walk past but unless you do you are a bit at risk.

Once in town this feeling disappears.

But it's best to be warey.

• misviajes's Profile Photo

Tijuana Vendors

by misviajes Written Dec 1, 2004

I just totally ignore the venders; the same was the Mexican people do. If one looks totally occupied with just walking the streets, or taking pictures, they seem to get the message. If one shows the slightest interest, then expect to be “sold to.” I just usually shop a couple of stores, then quit. They all seem to have about the same things anyway.

Tijuana was not so bad as Nogales, Mexico: those guys will NOT give up in that town. Nogales is full of “pimps” and “guides” that are constantly bother single male tourists.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Do NOT take a taxi

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 26, 2003

TAXI  STAND  AT  THE  BORDER

When you cross the U.S. - Mexico border in San Ysidro you surely will be harassed first by numerous taxi drivers. They just want you to take a taxi to Tijuana's downtown. They said to me: hey, amigo - taxi?

Hmm... don't do it. Why? My top 3 reasons:
    - walking distance to the downtown is only 10-15 min.
    - save your $$$$ and spend them on souvenirs, food, beer etc. - what you like,
    - the way to the downtown is itself interesting.

• jozwitch's Profile Photo

Women beware

by jozwitch Written Oct 5, 2002

The first time I went to Tijuana my friend and I were harassed endlessly. Men literally trying to drag us into bars, children surrounding us and trying to take things out of our bags, etc. This may be because we were with a tour bus so we were immediately identified as vulnerable tourists. I had none of these problems the second time I went. Just be careful and watch your bags!

Instant Answers: Tijuana