Police / Tijuana Jail, Tijuana

Know about this?

Call if you have a problem
    by Travel2write
    DRINK EXCLUSIVELY IN PUBS/BARS !!!
    by matcrazy1
    POLICE WATCH TOWER?
    by matcrazy1
  • do not carry big money

by rocambole93 Written Mar 16, 2014

Do not carry too much money in your pockets. Yesterday I was searched by the police and they robbed me $200.I reported it to the tourist office (revolucion and 2nd).Otherwise, I went many times to Tijuana including zona norte and never had any problem.

No lleve demasiado dinero en sus bolsillos. Ayer fue allanada por la policía y me robaron $ 200.Io reporte a la oficina de turismo (revolucion y 2 º). De lo contrario, fui muchas veces a Tijuana incluyendo zona norte y nunca tuve ningún problema

• Call your Consulate/ Embassy from your own phone !

by tallartist Written Feb 26, 2014

I will not share what happened to me but if you are pulled over for any reason call your consulate or embassies emergency number immediately from your own phone make sure to give them the number of the police truck or car that pulls you over immediately. If you are arrested for any reason you will not be given a phone call despite the fact that they are required by law to give you one. Call your embassies emergency number from your own phone and give them as many details as you can as quickly as you can BEFORE you are arrested or are taken to a cash machine. I suggest you program the number in your phone (not the regular number but the emergency one) and I suggest you test it at least twice once you are in Mexico. Always register your trip with your Embassy.

Report all incidents to the Foreign Relations Affairs Office as soon as possible

• Being Stopped

by TJresident Written Jul 8, 2013

If you are not doing something that you shouldnt be doing and are stopped by any police officer the first thing that you MUST do is get the number that is on the side of the police vehicle, if you are in any way afraid since you are not doing anything wrong use your cell phone to call 066 which is just like the US 911. Once the operator answers give them the your location and the number of the police vehicle that has stopped you. Explain that you are not from here and are afraid do the fact that you were not doing anything wrong. By the time the police get to your car they will have been contacted by their supervisor who will also be on their way to your location. Do not hang up with the operator stay on the phone. By doing this you will not be bothered or mistreated in any way. Always stay calm and do not offer any money. If any police officer takes money from you by scare tactics go directly to the sindicatura and report them , you can also do it online and will get results. Any money taken will be returned to you. All you have to do is look at things from a different point of view and will get a better understanding of why the police are the way they are. Since there is so much drug activity going on in Tijuana being the border thousands of US citizens cross the border to buy drugs and do illegal things. The police see this everyday and since they also do not get paid all that well and see people go in and out of jail like nothing they have over the years figure why not get paid and avoid all the hassle of taking the people to jail for little things. The police are human just like anyone else and with time know when someone is bullsh tting them or not. Before traveling to anywhere that you are not familiar with investigate the laws and find out what and what not is legal. I have lived in Tijuana since 94 and only once had a run in with the police by error and by dialing 066 and speaking with the operator I had no problem.

• Tijuana local police corrupt

by billconley Written Aug 19, 2012

i am an american walking through the streets of Tijuana late at night with two local friends. For no reason two local police officers exited their police vehicle, approached me and started searching me. They said I threw something on the ground (I didn't) and accused me of having drugs. They found nothing but hand cuffed me and took me away in their squad car. My friends pleaded with them to no avail. They drove me around city, driving erratically and after about an hour or so they took me to the jail. My local friends were waiting for me outside and tried to give them some pesos but they wouldn't take it and escorted me in hand cuffs inside which was a nightmare. The cells are maxed out with people crammed in like sardines. The next morning I was taken to see a "judge" in a dirty dark room with no windows. Luckily I speak Spanish and said the trumped up charges were ridiculous. I ended up dropping the name of a well known Mexican saying we were friends and they let me go immediately without paying anything. The people in TJ are not afraid of the narcos. They are afraid of the local police and so should anyone visiting there. You see them on every street corner and they are the one you need to be afraid of. No oversight and paid low wages.

• Tijuana Police Corruption

by redcard1982 Written Jul 25, 2012

My wife and I were in Rosarito Beach and we were coming back to our bed and breakfast. We had only been there for two days and were having trouble negotiating the free road Benito Juarez from the Tijuana Cuota....there seemed to be very few onramps to the cuota as we drove north on the Benito Juarez "free road". Soon we were approaching the outskirts of Tijuana and realized we were too far north and in our confusion we were driving slowly and probably erratically, looking for a frickin way over to the cuota. Well as luck would have it, a Tijuana Police truck "lit up" our brand new car with the American California plates and we pulled over. The police officer said that he suspected me of driving under the influence of alcohol and i told him i was merely confused because it was dark and i was in an unfamiliar area with little lighting and even worse road signs and i was merely driving cautiously. Nevertheless, he insisted that i was drunk and told me that the penalty was $500 and a felony for drunk driving and that it was his word against mind and we were in his country. "Lucky for me" we could settle this with a "fine" of $100 and he and his partner would escort me to the "Cuota or Toll Road" back to our Bed and breakfast in San Antonio del Mar near Rosarito Beach. I told the officer, who identified himself as Arturo Hernandez, that I didn't have $100 in cash on me and he said that it was no problem because he and his partner could escort us to the nearest Pemex station where i could withdraw the $100 from the atm and pay the fine. "how Nice"....so ....we did it...he was very cordial and even chatted up my wife while i went into the station to use that ATM. When i handed him the money, he said thank you and as he got into the Police truck, he and his partner waved goodbye to us. how sweet...We were robbed but only for $77 as the machine only gave me the opportunity to pull one thousand pesos which equals $77 as of this writing. So i guess we got off easy....

I'm just happy that we were able to help the wheels of justice turn in Tijuana...what a pleasant surprise. Next time we will spend our money NOT IN ROSARITO BEACH B.C., but in someplace other than Mexico. Good job Mexicans, you did it again. Another american family with means who will never spend another dollar in your country. Keep up the good work.

• Luxury Travel

• phonician117's Profile Photo

tijuana police, not your best friend

by phonician117 Written Jun 8, 2012

stay away from tijuanas police they are not helpful in anything except in taking gifts from you , if you get robbed dont bother reporting it nothing will happen and dont , argue with them for any reason even if you are right , otherwise you will end up in jail for no reason,

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

POLICIA

by lmkluque Updated Mar 18, 2012

Keeping the Peace

Over the years the Tijuana Cop has suffered a pretty sordid reputation and I would never say it was without foundation.

However, though I did bribe a traffic cop by accident once, and even with that exception, I have always been treated politely, fairly and with respect whenever I've had an occasion to "interact" with the Tijuana Police. Over a forty year period, this has happened several times for various reasons. The last time, I had to get two young men out of the Tijuana Jail, charged with underage drinking and it cost nothing more than 30 minutes of my time.

Every horror story I've heard about the mistreatment from the cops in Tijuana the "victim" was either belligerent, drunk or both. That should be a clue.

The officer you see here, gave permission to be photographed, his job was to keep peace on Avenida Revolucion and he did it well.

Update:

In the past few years there have been many stories, real and third or fourth hand or made-up that the drug cartels have made Tijuana a dangerous place to be. Though the actual crimes rarely ever spilled into the tourists areas of Tijuana, these reports have actually had a huge impact on tourist businesses here. So many places have had to close their doors and thousands are now without a job.

Finally, the Mexican Government has sent in the Federales and much of the crime has been cleaned up. I hope business picks-up soon!!

• School Holidays
    • Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Tijuana Police

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

POLICE  WATCH  TOWER?

It's said that Tijuana Police (Policia) Officers are very friendly and helpful. On the other side I heard that Mexican police is corruptive and often want to rip especially foreign and rich hehe (US) visitors. Fortunately I was not forced to check it :-).

But if... call as you can see on my picture: 066 664 638 5218. Hmm... don't they have something easier to remember, he?
    Oh, they have: police emergency number is 134, remember: 134

• " Aware of Tj Cops"!!!

by Carlos2TJ Written Aug 23, 2010

I have been going to tijuana very often for the last 7 months to visit my girlfriend and fortunally I have never had any problems with the police although my girlfrien says that TJ cops are very corrupted and they can stop me for no reason, they can make something up to get some money from me $20. will probably get me out of trouble, my suggestions are not to drink and drive, stay in a hotel very close to restaurants and bars, preffer in plaza rio tijuana area, away from downtonwn tj, be really carefull when I travel back and for to the border, planned ahead your way around to the city, obbey all traffic signals; If you get stoped for no reason get cops names and later report them to procuraduria general de turismo in tj, this will help to some day stop this corruptions. To finalized this messages in July 2010, 60 police officers have been encarcelated charged with corruption, extorsionist, drugs affiliation and kidnapting. Thanks God this cops started to pay for some of the damadge they have done to all of us....

• School Holidays

• Dont Bring Mace/Pepperspray Across Border

by TijuanaMace Written Feb 7, 2010

I am a native New Yorker who took a trip to LA and then to San Diego Jan. 14-Feb 1st.
    I was staying in Hotel Circle when I was tempted to hop on the trolly at Mission Station in the Mission Valley. As I stood on the platform I overheard a group of German tourists saying they were "taking this train to Mexico"! I was shocked and didnt realize that a subway/trolly could take me to Mexico. I recently saw "Gone with the Wind" and remember Rhett Butler telling Scarlett O'Hara "Lets go To Mexico".. SO I figured if it was good enough for Clarke Gable it would be good enough for me...Well I took the Trolly and when I arrived at the border and went through customs a barrage of taxi drivers were harassing me. Cat Calls, telling me to go with them; it was a fiasco. I didnt think it could get any worse. After driving maybe 5 minutes the Cab driver asked me for additional $10 for Gas and border security as he had tinted windows, which I thought was unreasonable. I shopped along the Revoluzione and gave money to a little girl wearing a brown hat with pig tails. I shopped mostly buying sterling silver jewelry as they have designs in Mexico that arent in US. Before it got dark around 4:30 I headed back to the US/Mexican Border. As I was walking I remember hearing not to walk past dark, and I bought a bottle of pepper spray behind the cash register of a Spanish bodega. I felt like the moment I left that store to the 20 minute walk I was being followed. As I approached the border 2 Husky, Mean looking Mexican policemen told me to show them my Passport. When I did this they asked me why the photo didnt look like me, and I said Im blonde now, but I was brunette in the pic 6 years ago when it was taken. I knew they were 1) Trouble and 2) Didnt like Americans the minute I saw them. They searched thru my bag and found my only bottle of Clonozapam (anti-Anxiety Medication which was in an old medicine bottle with the paper rubbing out the doctors & My name, etc. They thought it was ecstacy, and I told them "No its for anxiety. They took my medicine away from me, and put the bottle into a ziplock bag. Then they came across my pepper spray that I bought, and also gave a test shot to see if it worked. They made such a huge fiasco over the Mace, they convinced me it was worse than a knife. Also in my bag, They accused me of stealing the sterling silver rings from a vendor by using the pepper spray. They told me it was illegal to have it and they grabbed my wrists, tightly put on handcuffs over my wrists, and said "we're going to the downtown now and your going to jail, and will be forced to pay a FINE for your activities, it will cost at least $200.", you're carrying a weapon." As we were walking, they started to fill out a piece of paper on a clipboad, documenting what they found as "contraband". I was afraid they would use the pepper spray on me. I tried to comply, reluctantly. I asked if I could pay the fine now. They took away the Sterling Silver from me and my bottle of Clonazapam and I asked them what it would cost and I gave the officer $200 USD, and signed my name where they told me, (well, forced me. Then they walked back towards downtown and disappeared in the crowd. I dont know if they were really cops or not. I want to believe that they were otherwise that bumpersticker "Jesus loves you, everyone ELSE thinks you're an ***" would right now be true! I told the customs officer on the US side what had just happened and he said "it sounds like BS." The National Guard needs to get involed here!! As for me, watching re-runs of "Bonanza!" is the only thing Mexican I want to see!

• Tijuana - Watch for this "Cop"

by bandrews Written Aug 23, 2008

Went to TJ to purchase some antibiotcs - which is perfectly legal without a prescription - Walked over to gawk in the Zona Roja area just for kicks. Stopped off at one of the Taco stands for an AWESOME taco and this "Undercover Cop" starts talking to me - in perfect English - and begins to tell me his life's story.
    Claims his name was Robert, his father paid for his English lessons, his wife is a blonde hair and green eyed American, he has dual citizenship and three kids eldest was 18, youngest 6.
    Totally caught me off guard, warmed up to me, then once he cornered me away from people told me I purchased my drugs illegally and that each pill is worth 30 days in jail - I had 6 pills.
    Or, I could hand over my cash and cell phone and he'd let me go - but I could keep the pills.

"Robert" is about 5'11" tall approximately 190lbs, mustache, black hair, brown eyes, most likely dressed in jeans and a polo shirt and hangs around the taco cart in the Zona Roja district.

I wish I had a picture to warn others who to look out for.

• fake police/shakedowns

by wes4267 Written Aug 23, 2008

We were leaving TJ on foot after an absolutely fun day. The three of us were walking back across toward the US border up that concrete ramp. I saw three "cops" . They didn't look very "professional". My buddy was a few steps behind me and these "cops" stopped him. At that time he sort of called out for me to wait up. I then turned around and started to walk back down the ramp toward those "TJ cops". As soon as they saw me turn around they immediately told him to "go on". Kinda scary. I doubt they were real TJ cops. I dunno.

He, I, and his wife had the best time down there. We always hear about the negative things about TJ but we had a total BLAST! .... until that little episode. I am way more afraid of the phony cops than any of the natives we encountered. We went way off the touristo circuit venturing into downtown on a saturday market day. Those "cops" make me not want to go back.

The day prior we went to Tecate. That was really cool. Free beer at the brewery. Again, walk across, so much fun. The folks are beyond cool!!

• SHAKEDOWNS!!!

by exexpat08 Written May 29, 2008

Several years ago the TJ Police were mugging the Tourists so bad that the Mexican Govt had to bring in the Federal Police to watch the local police. It is that bad again.

I've been stopped twice to pay bribes. The first time I was scared to death the second I knew the routine. They are going to find something about you or on you that "breaks Mexican law" but you can pay the fine if you do not "wanna go to jail homes".

I travel all over the World and I've never been to a place that is so rife with corruption. I mean, Thailand has the "Coffee or Tea Donations" to the police but they make you feel like you are giving to a charity without threat. In Mexico the Police practically mug you in plain view and have no style about it. They are just gutter scum thieves and thugs. I feel safer anywhere in the World (that includes some Arab countries) than TJ.

It is why your economy sucks! It is why half of Revolution is boarded and closing up! It is why you have to play Ads on the radio to beg tourists to come to Mexico! Hey, be honest in your tourism ads - tell how many US tourists go missing, are kidnapped, or are murdered in your ****hole of a country by the MEXICAN POLICE! Tijuana you suck!

Tips. Go in the light of day. Always take a taxi where ever you go. Always keep on eye on the cops where ever you are. Always hide your money in a sock. Better yet - stop going to Mexico all together until Mexico gets their **** together and joins the civilized World. Did I mention always keep an eye on the cops?

• Study Abroad

• SHAKEDOWNS!!!

by exexpat08 Written May 29, 2008

• Study Abroad

• Tijuana: Bring Back the Mexican Federal Police

by exexpat93 Written May 25, 2008

It is why your economy sucks! It is why half of Revolution is borded and closing up! It is why you have to play Ads on the radio to beg tourists to come to Mexico! Hey, be honest in your tourism ads - tell how many US tourists go missing, are kidnapped, or are murdered in your ***hole of a country by the MEXICAN POLICE! Tijuana you suck!

Tips. Go in the light of day. Always take a taxi where ever you go. Always keep on eye on the cops where ever you are. Always hide your money in a sock. Better yet - stop going to Mexico all together until Mexico gets their *** together and joins the civilized World. Did I mention always keep an eye on the cops?

Instant Answers: Tijuana

• Jul 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I just had to comment on all the above stories. I am a female American, I have lived in Tijuana since 1994 and love it. True there are corrupt police and true some will try to use scare tactics to try and get money out of people but they are smart enough to know who to mess with. If you are looking in any way suspicious or in a high crime or drug area they will stop you and search you. If you really are not doing anything wrong or have anything that you shouldnt have just stay calm and if they do start to ask for money or scare you with jail if you do not pay simply tell them to go ahead and take you to jail since you do not have any money. Do not get smart ass or threaten them in any way . Just stay calm. Once they see that they can not get money from you they will just let you go. The minute that a police vehicle stops you the first thing you MUST do is look for the number located on the side of the Vehicle and do not forget it. Pay attention to what they look like. If they take money from you and it is still day time ask someone for directions to the Palacio Municipal and there you will ask where the Sindicatura is located. Once you arrive there you will fill out a report and be interviewed by an official there. They will then call the captian of those officers and have them report so you can identify them. Once you have visually identified them they will be forced to pay you the money that was taken along with them being relieved of their duties. Yes they will be fired. If what happened was alittle more serious they might even go to jail. Another thing is you are never taken to jail without first being seen by a judge. The judge will either believe you or send you for a few hours to jail where you can be bailed out. The longest a person can be held in the local jail is for 36 hours if you were picked up for having a little bit of lets say weed on you you will be sent to the mixta and the longest you can be held is for 48 hours. For more serious things they send you to the PGR which is the feds and you will be held there at first for 72 hours and during this time they will be investigationg to see if you are probably guilty or not . If not they will let you go . If a judge says you are guilty the will send you to the prison. At all these places during the first few hours that you are there someone from the amercian counsulado will come and talk to you and will make phone calls for you . Millions of people come to Tijuana every year and in reality there are very few stories of being harrassed by police considering the amount of people who come across the border every day., If you are not familiar with Tijuana it is not recommend that you drive over here until you are familiar. Do not venture into areas that you do not see other tourists by yourself. I have a very good friend whos brother is a municipal police officer and he tells me stories all the time. Like he says, if you are not doing something suspicious or acting suspicious no one is even going to notice you. If you look out of place for example you are driving a brand you expensive car in an area where there is alot of drug activity and you obviously dont know anyone in that area you will be stopped. Being a female I go all over tijuana by myself either driving or using public transportation and have never had any problem. Another thing to do before coming to Tijuana or anywhere on this planet is to first investigate the local laws so you will know your rights and what you can and cant do.

• Feb 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM

WOW, I just read all these stories because I had very similar story happen to me today. I am a Mexican-American who fell in love with someone from south of the border, thus I moved to Tijuana. I am an entrepreneur and I make very good money, so last week I bought myself a luxury vehicle from a US dealership. The car came without license plates and tinted windows. Today I was driving along the border on the Mexican side looking for a parking lot so I could leave my car there and run over to the US side to run some errands. Low and behold a motorcycle cops comes up behind me and proceeds to pull me over. He pulls me over and says he has to cite me for not having plates on my car and for having tinted windows. I explained that the car was recently purchased and the plates were coming but that the car fully and legally registered and provided evidence of it. About the tint,I bought the car that way. So he proceed to ask "how we were going to resolve this", which is code for a bribe. I told him that I would not pay a bribe so he said he would have to have my car towed. I told him OK tow it than. So later the tow truck show up and I go up to the tow truck driver who appeared to be a friend of the cop, and I said to the tow truck driver, who was very far away from the cop, "you should not take my car cause this son of a b$%^, is got a bandetta against me because I won't pay him a bribe. So the truck driver blows up and starts screaming: how can you disrespect a public authority like that! and he caused a scene to call the attention of the cop over to where we were and he told the cop what I said and the cop said "you are under arrest for disrespecting a cop and he handcuffed me and they took me to see a judge to greeted the cop with hugs and kisses when we arrived. I pleaded my case to the judge who called the tow truck driver and the cop and the tow truck driver lied their butts off to the judge and at that moment I was taken to jail, which was nothing more than a cramped public restroom without toilets packed like a sardine with drug addicts and thugs. I wasn't more than 10 minutes there that the thugs ganged up on me and took my wallet, my money, my credit cards, and my $500 cell phone. So the lead thug made arrangements there with a cop to have another thug that hangs out in the hallway of the jail to go sell my cell phone and bring back the money so that the incarcerated thug could pay his way out of the jail. Sure enough it all must have went as planned for the thug and corrupt cops, cause the thugs got out of jail scott free. Surely the judge must have known what was going on cause the judge is right there in a little dark room right next to the jailhouse and how could this thug have avoided all the documentation and had someone from outside come and pay the fines that I had to go through to get out. No instead he got whisked out through the back door.

Let me give some very helpful advice to all of you that will save you a lot of money, headaches and landing in jail on trumped up charges: DO NOT VISIT MEXICO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. IT IS NOT A SAFE PLACE AT ALL. AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME AND YOU STILL DECIDE TO COME, THAN DON'T WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT THUGS, DRUG LORDS OR THIEFS, WORRY ABOUT COPS, THEY ARE AS CORRUPT AS THE DAY IS LONG.

• Jul 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

If you come to Tijuana alot or live here you should already know that you do not drive a car without plates and tinted windows and expect to not be pulled over. With all the kidnappings that were going on in the past years and all done with autos with tinted windows and no plates of course you are going to get pulled over. You wouldnt be able to drive a car like that in the US so why would you think here would be any different. I also find it strange that after seeing that the tow truck driver was friends with this cop why would you talk about the cop to him. You should of just let them take the car or offered to remove the tint right then and there. Once they had taken the car you only needed to got to the sindicatura and report what happened and they would of gotten your car out for free. Also to anyone reading this. Anytime you are approached by an officer you get the number of the vehicle they are driving and stay calm. Most people have cell phones so if you know that you are not doing anything wrong and are being stopped mark 066 this is the same as the US 911. Explain to the operator who answers where you are and the number of the police vehicle and that you are being stopped for no reason and are very scared. Trust me by the time the officers who are pulling you over get to your car they will be very polite and will leave you alone.