Police / Tijuana Jail, Tijuana

Know about this?

Call if you have a problem
    by Travel2write
    DRINK EXCLUSIVELY IN PUBS/BARS !!!
    by matcrazy1
    POLICE WATCH TOWER?
    by matcrazy1
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

POLICIA

by lmkluque Updated Mar 18, 2012

Keeping the Peace

Over the years the Tijuana Cop has suffered a pretty sordid reputation and I would never say it was without foundation.

However, though I did bribe a traffic cop by accident once, and even with that exception, I have always been treated politely, fairly and with respect whenever I've had an occasion to "interact" with the Tijuana Police. Over a forty year period, this has happened several times for various reasons. The last time, I had to get two young men out of the Tijuana Jail, charged with underage drinking and it cost nothing more than 30 minutes of my time.

Every horror story I've heard about the mistreatment from the cops in Tijuana the "victim" was either belligerent, drunk or both. That should be a clue.

The officer you see here, gave permission to be photographed, his job was to keep peace on Avenida Revolucion and he did it well.

Update:

In the past few years there have been many stories, real and third or fourth hand or made-up that the drug cartels have made Tijuana a dangerous place to be. Though the actual crimes rarely ever spilled into the tourists areas of Tijuana, these reports have actually had a huge impact on tourist businesses here. So many places have had to close their doors and thousands are now without a job.

Finally, the Mexican Government has sent in the Federales and much of the crime has been cleaned up. I hope business picks-up soon!!

• School Holidays
    • Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Tijuana Police

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

POLICE  WATCH  TOWER?

It's said that Tijuana Police (Policia) Officers are very friendly and helpful. On the other side I heard that Mexican police is corruptive and often want to rip especially foreign and rich hehe (US) visitors. Fortunately I was not forced to check it :-).

But if... call as you can see on my picture: 066 664 638 5218. Hmm... don't they have something easier to remember, he?
    Oh, they have: police emergency number is 134, remember: 134

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Behave

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 20, 2003

DRINK  EXCLUSIVELY  IN  PUBS/BARS !!!

As I know in Tijuana you maybe arrested for:
    - Drinking alcohol on any public way
    - Disturbing the peace of other persons
    - Fights
    - Carring or using firearms
    - Possession or comsumption of any kind of drug
    Prostitution (although not recommended) is legal unless at age under 18.

• africateach's Profile Photo

Careful of the Cops near the ATM!!!!

by africateach Written Feb 24, 2005

We were running low on funds, and found ourselves a decent ATM. As we are getting money out, TWO cop cars pull up and grab us! They throw us on the hood of the car and demand to know why we are taking money out!
    "Drugs, Hombre?!" "You buy drugs?!"
    "NO Sir!" We were then searched right then and there!!!

Fortunately we were a little tipsy and my friend forgot the conversion rate and took out what he thought was 100 dollars US. In fact, he took out 100 pesos, about 10 bucks!!! The cops didn't even want it and told us to run for the border before they arrested us!

Well... when in Tijuana... RUN!!!

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

The police have changed much!

by Travel2write Written Jun 4, 2005

Call if you have a problem

Looking back to the days when I first started coming to TJ vice today? The police have cleaned up much, and the days of shakedowns have pretty much come to a halting stop! Although there are many scammers impersonating police waiting in dark alleys and along the route back to the border.
    So be careful, and if they are police, they will insist on having you report to the police department. The smart thing would be, don't be stupid! Common things that lead to citations in TJ from tourist!

1. Urinating in Public!
    2. Sex in the streets, parking lots, public area
    3. Unconscious in the street
    4. Fighting other tourist!
    5. Not paying bills

• Women's Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian

• SHAKEDOWNS!!!

by exexpat08 Written May 29, 2008

Several years ago the TJ Police were mugging the Tourists so bad that the Mexican Govt had to bring in the Federal Police to watch the local police. It is that bad again.

I've been stopped twice to pay bribes. The first time I was scared to death the second I knew the routine. They are going to find something about you or on you that "breaks Mexican law" but you can pay the fine if you do not "wanna go to jail homes".

I travel all over the World and I've never been to a place that is so rife with corruption. I mean, Thailand has the "Coffee or Tea Donations" to the police but they make you feel like you are giving to a charity without threat. In Mexico the Police practically mug you in plain view and have no style about it. They are just gutter scum thieves and thugs. I feel safer anywhere in the World (that includes some Arab countries) than TJ.

It is why your economy sucks! It is why half of Revolution is boarded and closing up! It is why you have to play Ads on the radio to beg tourists to come to Mexico! Hey, be honest in your tourism ads - tell how many US tourists go missing, are kidnapped, or are murdered in your ****hole of a country by the MEXICAN POLICE! Tijuana you suck!

Tips. Go in the light of day. Always take a taxi where ever you go. Always keep on eye on the cops where ever you are. Always hide your money in a sock. Better yet - stop going to Mexico all together until Mexico gets their **** together and joins the civilized World. Did I mention always keep an eye on the cops?

• Study Abroad

• Tijuana: Corruption Increasing

by ratfink1 Written Dec 28, 2007

I have been traveling to TJ for years. I have never had any real problems until recently. I was stopped 3 times and forced to pay a "fine" in a police car or be brought to jail simply jaywalking from a bar to my hotel. I also saw the police "rounding up" young girls who were not prostitutes. I talked to the locals and they said that 200 police have been added and that fines are now common because TJ does not pay its Police Dept. I strongly advise anyone going to TJ to reconsider. I will not be going back

• Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Robbed and fasely impriosoned by th police

by TouristIreland Written Sep 28, 2007

I was in Tijuana recently and after coming out of a shop I was stopped by two policemen. The first they said to me was that i bet a woman up! They searched me and I had antibiotics for a flu which i had a prescription for.
    They said to me it was an illegal drug and taken me to see the police doctor, i was handcuffed driven around and then they stopped near the border took the handcuffs off me and told me i had two choices pay the fine or go back to the police station.
    I had $140 on me they robbed me of $130 and gave me ten dollars to get back to sandiego
    i would never visit mexico again

• hersheynrey's Profile Photo

Being stopped

by hersheynrey Written Feb 17, 2007

if stopped look for is the number of the police vehicle. . If any cop ever takes money from you report them to the sindicatura. You can find an online form to fill out at Tijuana.gob.mex. Dont be rude but just tell them you prefer to see the judge and let him handle the matter. Never report a cop to a cop do it thru 066 or the sindicatura. If they stop you ask for a ticket if you really did violate a traffic law. IF you are a tourist stay in the tourist areas and dont venture out in the colonias especially walking. At night and even during the day they have what they call operativos where they drive around in vans with the van doors open with cops just waiting to jump out and grab the first person they see that looks good. The safest way to come to tijuana in a group and take a taxi from the border straight to where you need to go. As long as you are in a taxi you wont have any problems. It is worth the 5dlls. If you are coming for lets put it a good time the taxi drivers will know where you can find that good time and have your good time without being harrased by the cops. They will also wait for you while you are having your good time to make sure you get back to any other destination you needed to go. Right now there is no law in tijuana. The cops do as they please. How do I know. Because I have lived here now for over 12 years. What ever you do stay away from the temptation of buying drugs if thats your thing. The people selling downtown are hooked up with the cops and as soon as they sell you something more than likely you will get picked up. once again any time you have any contact with any cop look for the number of the vehicle they are driving.

• Tijuana local police corrupt

by billconley Written Aug 19, 2012

i am an american walking through the streets of Tijuana late at night with two local friends. For no reason two local police officers exited their police vehicle, approached me and started searching me. They said I threw something on the ground (I didn't) and accused me of having drugs. They found nothing but hand cuffed me and took me away in their squad car. My friends pleaded with them to no avail. They drove me around city, driving erratically and after about an hour or so they took me to the jail. My local friends were waiting for me outside and tried to give them some pesos but they wouldn't take it and escorted me in hand cuffs inside which was a nightmare. The cells are maxed out with people crammed in like sardines. The next morning I was taken to see a "judge" in a dirty dark room with no windows. Luckily I speak Spanish and said the trumped up charges were ridiculous. I ended up dropping the name of a well known Mexican saying we were friends and they let me go immediately without paying anything. The people in TJ are not afraid of the narcos. They are afraid of the local police and so should anyone visiting there. You see them on every street corner and they are the one you need to be afraid of. No oversight and paid low wages.

• SNICK's Profile Photo

It goes without saying: ...

by SNICK Written Oct 4, 2002

It goes without saying: Behave yourself in Tijuana. Most of the stories about corrupt cops may very well not be true, but why would you take the chance to find out? Tijuana cops, for the most part, are used to seeing arrogant and irreverent Americans getting drunk in their streets. It doesn't mean they have to tolerate anything beyond getting drunk.

• " Aware of Tj Cops"!!!

by Carlos2TJ Written Aug 23, 2010

I have been going to tijuana very often for the last 7 months to visit my girlfriend and fortunally I have never had any problems with the police although my girlfrien says that TJ cops are very corrupted and they can stop me for no reason, they can make something up to get some money from me $20. will probably get me out of trouble, my suggestions are not to drink and drive, stay in a hotel very close to restaurants and bars, preffer in plaza rio tijuana area, away from downtonwn tj, be really carefull when I travel back and for to the border, planned ahead your way around to the city, obbey all traffic signals; If you get stoped for no reason get cops names and later report them to procuraduria general de turismo in tj, this will help to some day stop this corruptions. To finalized this messages in July 2010, 60 police officers have been encarcelated charged with corruption, extorsionist, drugs affiliation and kidnapting. Thanks God this cops started to pay for some of the damadge they have done to all of us....

• School Holidays

• phonician117's Profile Photo

tijuana police, not your best friend

by phonician117 Written Jun 8, 2012

stay away from tijuanas police they are not helpful in anything except in taking gifts from you , if you get robbed dont bother reporting it nothing will happen and dont , argue with them for any reason even if you are right , otherwise you will end up in jail for no reason,

• Tijuana Police Corruption

by redcard1982 Written Jul 25, 2012

My wife and I were in Rosarito Beach and we were coming back to our bed and breakfast. We had only been there for two days and were having trouble negotiating the free road Benito Juarez from the Tijuana Cuota....there seemed to be very few onramps to the cuota as we drove north on the Benito Juarez "free road". Soon we were approaching the outskirts of Tijuana and realized we were too far north and in our confusion we were driving slowly and probably erratically, looking for a frickin way over to the cuota. Well as luck would have it, a Tijuana Police truck "lit up" our brand new car with the American California plates and we pulled over. The police officer said that he suspected me of driving under the influence of alcohol and i told him i was merely confused because it was dark and i was in an unfamiliar area with little lighting and even worse road signs and i was merely driving cautiously. Nevertheless, he insisted that i was drunk and told me that the penalty was $500 and a felony for drunk driving and that it was his word against mind and we were in his country. "Lucky for me" we could settle this with a "fine" of $100 and he and his partner would escort me to the "Cuota or Toll Road" back to our Bed and breakfast in San Antonio del Mar near Rosarito Beach. I told the officer, who identified himself as Arturo Hernandez, that I didn't have $100 in cash on me and he said that it was no problem because he and his partner could escort us to the nearest Pemex station where i could withdraw the $100 from the atm and pay the fine. "how Nice"....so ....we did it...he was very cordial and even chatted up my wife while i went into the station to use that ATM. When i handed him the money, he said thank you and as he got into the Police truck, he and his partner waved goodbye to us. how sweet...We were robbed but only for $77 as the machine only gave me the opportunity to pull one thousand pesos which equals $77 as of this writing. So i guess we got off easy....

I'm just happy that we were able to help the wheels of justice turn in Tijuana...what a pleasant surprise. Next time we will spend our money NOT IN ROSARITO BEACH B.C., but in someplace other than Mexico. Good job Mexicans, you did it again. Another american family with means who will never spend another dollar in your country. Keep up the good work.

• Luxury Travel

• Being Stopped

by TJresident Written Jul 8, 2013

If you are not doing something that you shouldnt be doing and are stopped by any police officer the first thing that you MUST do is get the number that is on the side of the police vehicle, if you are in any way afraid since you are not doing anything wrong use your cell phone to call 066 which is just like the US 911. Once the operator answers give them the your location and the number of the police vehicle that has stopped you. Explain that you are not from here and are afraid do the fact that you were not doing anything wrong. By the time the police get to your car they will have been contacted by their supervisor who will also be on their way to your location. Do not hang up with the operator stay on the phone. By doing this you will not be bothered or mistreated in any way. Always stay calm and do not offer any money. If any police officer takes money from you by scare tactics go directly to the sindicatura and report them , you can also do it online and will get results. Any money taken will be returned to you. All you have to do is look at things from a different point of view and will get a better understanding of why the police are the way they are. Since there is so much drug activity going on in Tijuana being the border thousands of US citizens cross the border to buy drugs and do illegal things. The police see this everyday and since they also do not get paid all that well and see people go in and out of jail like nothing they have over the years figure why not get paid and avoid all the hassle of taking the people to jail for little things. The police are human just like anyone else and with time know when someone is bullsh tting them or not. Before traveling to anywhere that you are not familiar with investigate the laws and find out what and what not is legal. I have lived in Tijuana since 94 and only once had a run in with the police by error and by dialing 066 and speaking with the operator I had no problem.

Instant Answers: Tijuana

• Jul 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I just had to comment on all the above stories. I am a female American, I have lived in Tijuana since 1994 and love it. True there are corrupt police and true some will try to use scare tactics to try and get money out of people but they are smart enough to know who to mess with. If you are looking in any way suspicious or in a high crime or drug area they will stop you and search you. If you really are not doing anything wrong or have anything that you shouldnt have just stay calm and if they do start to ask for money or scare you with jail if you do not pay simply tell them to go ahead and take you to jail since you do not have any money. Do not get smart ass or threaten them in any way . Just stay calm. Once they see that they can not get money from you they will just let you go. The minute that a police vehicle stops you the first thing you MUST do is look for the number located on the side of the Vehicle and do not forget it. Pay attention to what they look like. If they take money from you and it is still day time ask someone for directions to the Palacio Municipal and there you will ask where the Sindicatura is located. Once you arrive there you will fill out a report and be interviewed by an official there. They will then call the captian of those officers and have them report so you can identify them. Once you have visually identified them they will be forced to pay you the money that was taken along with them being relieved of their duties. Yes they will be fired. If what happened was alittle more serious they might even go to jail. Another thing is you are never taken to jail without first being seen by a judge. The judge will either believe you or send you for a few hours to jail where you can be bailed out. The longest a person can be held in the local jail is for 36 hours if you were picked up for having a little bit of lets say weed on you you will be sent to the mixta and the longest you can be held is for 48 hours. For more serious things they send you to the PGR which is the feds and you will be held there at first for 72 hours and during this time they will be investigationg to see if you are probably guilty or not . If not they will let you go . If a judge says you are guilty the will send you to the prison. At all these places during the first few hours that you are there someone from the amercian counsulado will come and talk to you and will make phone calls for you . Millions of people come to Tijuana every year and in reality there are very few stories of being harrassed by police considering the amount of people who come across the border every day., If you are not familiar with Tijuana it is not recommend that you drive over here until you are familiar. Do not venture into areas that you do not see other tourists by yourself. I have a very good friend whos brother is a municipal police officer and he tells me stories all the time. Like he says, if you are not doing something suspicious or acting suspicious no one is even going to notice you. If you look out of place for example you are driving a brand you expensive car in an area where there is alot of drug activity and you obviously dont know anyone in that area you will be stopped. Being a female I go all over tijuana by myself either driving or using public transportation and have never had any problem. Another thing to do before coming to Tijuana or anywhere on this planet is to first investigate the local laws so you will know your rights and what you can and cant do.

• Feb 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM

WOW, I just read all these stories because I had very similar story happen to me today. I am a Mexican-American who fell in love with someone from south of the border, thus I moved to Tijuana. I am an entrepreneur and I make very good money, so last week I bought myself a luxury vehicle from a US dealership. The car came without license plates and tinted windows. Today I was driving along the border on the Mexican side looking for a parking lot so I could leave my car there and run over to the US side to run some errands. Low and behold a motorcycle cops comes up behind me and proceeds to pull me over. He pulls me over and says he has to cite me for not having plates on my car and for having tinted windows. I explained that the car was recently purchased and the plates were coming but that the car fully and legally registered and provided evidence of it. About the tint,I bought the car that way. So he proceed to ask "how we were going to resolve this", which is code for a bribe. I told him that I would not pay a bribe so he said he would have to have my car towed. I told him OK tow it than. So later the tow truck show up and I go up to the tow truck driver who appeared to be a friend of the cop, and I said to the tow truck driver, who was very far away from the cop, "you should not take my car cause this son of a b$%^, is got a bandetta against me because I won't pay him a bribe. So the truck driver blows up and starts screaming: how can you disrespect a public authority like that! and he caused a scene to call the attention of the cop over to where we were and he told the cop what I said and the cop said "you are under arrest for disrespecting a cop and he handcuffed me and they took me to see a judge to greeted the cop with hugs and kisses when we arrived. I pleaded my case to the judge who called the tow truck driver and the cop and the tow truck driver lied their butts off to the judge and at that moment I was taken to jail, which was nothing more than a cramped public restroom without toilets packed like a sardine with drug addicts and thugs. I wasn't more than 10 minutes there that the thugs ganged up on me and took my wallet, my money, my credit cards, and my $500 cell phone. So the lead thug made arrangements there with a cop to have another thug that hangs out in the hallway of the jail to go sell my cell phone and bring back the money so that the incarcerated thug could pay his way out of the jail. Sure enough it all must have went as planned for the thug and corrupt cops, cause the thugs got out of jail scott free. Surely the judge must have known what was going on cause the judge is right there in a little dark room right next to the jailhouse and how could this thug have avoided all the documentation and had someone from outside come and pay the fines that I had to go through to get out. No instead he got whisked out through the back door.

Let me give some very helpful advice to all of you that will save you a lot of money, headaches and landing in jail on trumped up charges: DO NOT VISIT MEXICO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. IT IS NOT A SAFE PLACE AT ALL. AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME AND YOU STILL DECIDE TO COME, THAN DON'T WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT THUGS, DRUG LORDS OR THIEFS, WORRY ABOUT COPS, THEY ARE AS CORRUPT AS THE DAY IS LONG.

• Jul 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

If you come to Tijuana alot or live here you should already know that you do not drive a car without plates and tinted windows and expect to not be pulled over. With all the kidnappings that were going on in the past years and all done with autos with tinted windows and no plates of course you are going to get pulled over. You wouldnt be able to drive a car like that in the US so why would you think here would be any different. I also find it strange that after seeing that the tow truck driver was friends with this cop why would you talk about the cop to him. You should of just let them take the car or offered to remove the tint right then and there. Once they had taken the car you only needed to got to the sindicatura and report what happened and they would of gotten your car out for free. Also to anyone reading this. Anytime you are approached by an officer you get the number of the vehicle they are driving and stay calm. Most people have cell phones so if you know that you are not doing anything wrong and are being stopped mark 066 this is the same as the US 911. Explain to the operator who answers where you are and the number of the police vehicle and that you are being stopped for no reason and are very scared. Trust me by the time the officers who are pulling you over get to your car they will be very polite and will leave you alone.