Know about this?
Before or after you cross the border there are places to buy Mexican insurance...don't forget it if you drive in Mexico.
*No police officer is authorized to receive money.
YOU COULD BE ARRESTED FOR:
*Drinking alcohol on any public way
*Disturbing the peace of other persons
*Carring or using firearms
*Possession or comsumption of any kind of drug
Mexican Law does not require drivers to carry auto insurance.
WHY TO BUY AN INSURANCE?
I do recommend to buy a car insurance whenever you drive to Tijuana. Why?
If you have an accident while driving in Mexican territory where third parties are involved, you must submit immediately a proof of financial responsibility, regardless of your citizenship otherwise you maybe arrested (and your car confiscated) even for loong months. How to do it?
There are two possibilities:
1. Showing that you have enough cash to cover all the damages for which you are liable,
2. Showing that you have a Mexican automobile insurance policy issued by an approved Mexican insurance company. Warning: US insurance policies are not recognized by Mexican authorities.
WHERE TO BUY AN INSURANCE?
1. Call toll free from the USA: (800) 332-2118 Mexican Insurance by phone. Representing the largest and most reliable Insurance Company in Mexico.
2. Mex-Insur, Inc.:
tel. (619) 428-1121
213 Sycamore Road,
CA 92173, USA
I-5 at the Via de San Ysidro exit San Ysidro
3. others in San Diego, Chula Vista and San Ysidro, follow the links:
Read answer to question 7, please
HOW MUCH IS THE INSURANCE?
As I know expensive (more expensive than in California) and it depends on company - just call them, check and... e-mail me, please :-) I am going to discover Mexico by a car someday :-)))
- Road Trip
- Budget Travel
- Family Travel
Don't drive if you go there. If you get aticket the cops will make you pay beaucoup bucks in cash on the scene. The corruption is amazing. However, don't blame the cops - they only make about $300 a week and are expected to enforce the law in an area that is run by the drug lords. Your USA insurance doesn't count there and it costs a lot to get coverage for the short time you will there. Better to take a cab. I think the cabbies are actually some of the more honest people there.
First of all, Mexican Law does...
First of all, Mexican Law does not require drivers to carry auto insurance. However, it would be most unwise to drive without it because if you have an auto accident in Mexican territory where third parties are involved, you must submit immediately a proof of financial responsibility, regardless of your citizenship. This may be done by either one of two ways: Showing that you have enough cash to cover all the damages for which you are liable or,
Showing that you have a Mexican automobile insurance policy issued by an approved Mexican insurance company (US insurance policies are not recognized by Mexican authorities).
Please buy Mexican Auto Insurance
If you plan to drive into Mexico, Mexican Auto Insurance is not an option, but a requirement. If you are involved in an accident and are determined to be at fault for any reason, you will be detained no matter how injured you are.
Mexico runs a Napoleonic type justice system. This means that you are guilty until you are proven otherwise. It will make your life easier if you buy the insurance. U.S. Insurance will not work in Mexico.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book at Official Site
- Marriott.com Book at Official Site Get Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee
Tijuana Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Baguio Hotels
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- Cebu City
- La Spezia
- Canberra Hotels
- Manayunk Hotels
- Goa Warnings and Dangers
- Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- Nashville Warnings and Dangers
- Milan Warnings and Dangers
- Phuket Warnings and Dangers
- Areas to Avoid
- Puerto Rico Warnings and Dangers
- Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers
- Port Douglas Warnings and Dangers
- Kazakhstan Warnings and Dangers
- Addis Ababa Warnings and Dangers
- Moscow Warnings and Dangers