Fishing, Cabo San Lucas

Know about this? Rate It!

Me with dorado (mahi mahi)
    Jim Mansbridge, IGFA observer
    Steve with dorado
  • Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Fishing and restaurants that will cook your catch

by Cruiseone2003 Updated Oct 19, 2006

My brother with one of 4 El Dorado's caught.

I chartered a fishing boat for my brother's and I for half a day during our one day visit of Cabo San Lucas while on our cruise. I chartered the boat online through a company called "El Budster". As promised, a representative from the company waited for us as we arrived at the Marina, escorted to our fishing boat complete with two fighting chairs, captain and one deck hand. On our way out of Cabo San Lucas we stopped in the middle of the bay to purchase live bait then proceeded out to sea. In total we were out to sea about 4.5 hours and managed to bring in 4 El Dorado's (Mahi Mahi). We also saw a beautiful Marlin toy with our live bait but he left as quickly as he arrived.

After a day of fishing we were ready to enjoy our catch at Captain Tony's, located on the Marina whose motto is "You Catch 'em, we cook 'em". I brought our fish to the restaurant where it was quickly grilled and returned on a large platter cooked in garlic butter, lemon butter, and bbq sauce complete with a small salad all for $5.00USD per person; suchadeal! knowing that we caught the fish made it even that much better.

Equipment: Don't bring a thing, El Budster will supply all the gear and live bait, they'll even provide bottled water, sodas, beer and boxed lunches although I'd skip the boxed lunch and just bring some snack bars or something light just incase you have a case of "mal de mer".

• Cruise

by grkboiler Updated Jan 21, 2004

Cabo San Lucas is the marlin fishing capital of the world. Marlin season is June - December. There are also tuna, sailfish, red snapper, grouper, wahoo, dorado, and shark. Numerous companies are available for private charters. Prices depend on which charter you choose. Ask at your hotel or a booth on the street for information on charters.

Equipment: The best thing you can bring is sunscreen. Most charters should supply all fishing equipment. Some charters will not supply food and drinks.

• Fishing

• Cabo Sportfishing is king!

by timBRITTON Written May 19, 2010
    Steve with dorado

Slippery Lizzard Sportfishing is located on the Marina in Cabo, next to Johnny Rockets (a little hard to find). They have all kinds of boats and they are for both real fisherman and aspiring fisherman like me who want to learn and be a part of the process. The crews are all fluent in English and they tell you exactly what's going on. Some charter companies are a rip off down in Cabo, taking tourists out only a few miles offshore in order to save gas, or not really allowing them to be a part of the fishing etc. These guys are the real deal - in fact, I became one of them! I though the company was so great that I got involved. Now I am a small part-owner. This review is not unbiased in the least!!!

A typical trip starts at 6:30. Most charters end around 2-3pm. Slippery Lizzard will stay out until you have enough fish or the sun goes down! There is one captain and one mate, usually, in addition you can request a American guide (for free) if you want. Our guide was an official IGFA observer. We caught 3 Tuna, 2 Dorado, and a Marlin. Awesome.

Equipment: All professional grade tackle and equipment is provided on every boat. You literally only need sunblock and sunglasses.

• xheon's Profile Photo

Love Shack Cruises

by xheon Written Sep 10, 2011
    Love Shack Cruises

This was an excursion offered on a cruise. It was called Private Yatch for a Day. we really enjoyed it and thought it was worth the cost. We saw whale get caught (and released ) a marlin and snorkled for as long as we wanted. Sea kayaking was also offered. Great lunch served. Equipment provided. Crew was super nice and helpful. Only about a dozen people on the boat. Very relaxing time. Really enjoyed it.

Equipment: None, everything is provided by them.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Whale Watching

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

Catch a Marlin...

by Ronald_T Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The Marina...

This place is paradise for the port fisherman it seems. From the early morning, hundreds of yachts sailing out to fish at Marlin and return about 2 a clock in the afternoon...

Instant Answers: Cabo San Lucas

Comments

Other Sports & Outdoors in Cabo San Lucas

View all Cabo San Lucas hotels