Fishing, Cabo San Lucas

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

Deep Sea Fishing with Gaviota Sport Fishing

by Usctwin Updated Jun 14, 2012

Two boats from the Gaviota fleet

No trip to Cabo San Lucas can be considered fully complete without taking a crack at deep sea fishing. The Sea of Cortez is home to a wide array of game fish including blue marlin, striped marlin, yellowfin tuna, dorado, and yellowtail.

For our fishing expedition we selected the Gaviota Fleet known for their reliable services, fast boats, and fishing expertise. We booked a 33 foot Crystaliner that comfortably accommodated the six of us through Jig Stop Tours of Dana Point, California which made the whole process incredibly easy. One phone call and a couple of emails and we were set.

Although the fishing was slow, we were not disappointed as we came away with a 140 pound blue marlin, a fifteen pound dorado, and a Sunday we wont soon forget.

The boat leaves early in the morning, around 6:00am, and returns about 3:00pm. Lunch and drinks are served, but it's advised to bring your own snacks, extra water and plenty of sunscreen.

ADVANCE RESERVATIONS A MUST

• Chip_Master's Profile Photo

Marlin Capital of the world

by Chip_Master Written Oct 31, 2006

The fishing is awesome. See your hotel activities guide for the best recommendation and references.

Cabo lives up to the reputation of being the Marlin Capital of the world. We snagged one on our very first trip after only about 2 hours of trolling.

• Fishing is fabulous in Cabo!

by LuvLife Written Aug 2, 2006

My husband and his fishing buddies have been fishing Cabo since the early 1980's and have fished with everyone. They say the best is Cabomagic and say they are happy to share that good info with fellow travellers. their website is www.cabomagic.com Tell them LuvLife sent you!

• Deep Sea fishing

by Togs Updated Jan 27, 2006

Spent my last day fishing..

Great days fun.. I caught a 182lb marlin..
    wow I felt the guy from the Movie "The old man and the Sea."

This are a bueatiful fish.. and YES the realy do jump out of the water.. I could'nt believe my eyes when it came clean out of the water..

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

The Marina...

by Ronald_T Written Apr 24, 2004

The Marina

Cabo San Lucas has very wealthy fish waters and lots of people come here to fishing at sea, especially Marlin. On this way, Cabo has a very big Marina where you can find the most beautiful yachts. It is really worth the effort to take an extensive visit to the marina...

• Sonador3's Profile Photo

Other than Marlin Fishing

by Sonador3 Written Mar 22, 2004

Dorados

Fishing is King in Los Cabos. And mostly people come out here to do marlin fishing. And while that can be a lot of fun, I really enjoy going out on a smaller boat -- called a Panga -- and fish for smaller species, like Dorado. And sometimes a school of tuna will come close in and you might hit a few of those.

In fact, if you want to see what fish were caught in any one day, check out this link: Fishing Report It's pretty interesting to see whats running. On this particular day, they were hitting a ton of Yellowfin Tuna

Plus, Pango fishing is a little less expensive than chartering the big boats for Marlin.

CATCH-AND RELEASE is gaining big support in Cabo, and more captains are encouraging this wise fishing practice. Of course, if you catch your first marlin, and you want to bring it over the rail for keeps, it's your call. But it's a good idea to keep conservation in mind, whenever practical.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• Sonador3's Profile Photo

Marlin Fishing

by Sonador3 Written Mar 22, 2004

Pelican says:

Known as the Marlin Capital of the World, there are few places in the world more famous for sport fishing than Cabo San Lucas. Even the most novice of angles can find success here. It's not uncommon to catch a Marlin on your very first trip.

But why is the fishing so good here? I'll let the good folks at Los cabos guide explain it: Between 10 and 15 million years ago, a violent earthquake occurred, due to the San Andreas Fault in the region of Mexico, causing a huge rift of the land mass and leaving a slender finger of land stretching almost 1,000 miles. Today, this peninsula is known as Baja California. The Pacific Ocean quickly rushed into the gaping chasm left by the savage quake, creating one of our youngest seas, and a unique fish trap, the Sea of Cortez. At the southern most tip of this extraordinary peninsula, where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean is Cabo San Lucas, referred to as Land's End. Here the nutrient rich waters create an incredible food chain, reaching depths of over a mile and supporting marine life of more that 650 different species.

I enjoy the smaller pangas as I'm not a big fan of diesel fuel and the constant noise of trolling. Also, I like catching Dorado (Mahi) as they seem to be a more sustainable species and I don't feel so guilty. But whatever way you choose, you're bound to have fun.

Most charter companies now encourage a catch and release program, and I think thats a great idea.

If you have never gone deep sea fishing and want to find out more info, a good place to start would ber here

Even if you aren't into fishing, but are just curious, head on down to the marina in the afternon and check out the boats coming in. The ones that have been successful are flying the flag of the fish they have caught, ie: if they've caught a Marlin, they have a flag with an image of a marlin on it.

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• Goner's Profile Photo

Many go to Cabo just for the...

by Goner Updated Mar 16, 2004

A Really Big One

Many go to Cabo just for the fishing. While we waited at the airport to return to the US, visitors were checking boxes and boxes of fish they had caught. A fish that is an excellent meal is Wahoo. I was told it looks like a barricuda and it's bite is very sharp and even and is very difficult to catch.

• EL_Bobbo's Profile Photo

Fishing and Drinking!

by EL_Bobbo Written Jul 2, 2003

I caught a 590lb black marlin in November 2002..that was pretty cool. The partying is fantastic....you can become an alcoholic very quickly here! Saw Sammy Hagar and Lars Ulrich (Mettallica) play at Wabo.

by BajaShawn Updated May 23, 2003

Fihing Cabo San Lucas Baja Califonia is absolutly fantastic! Cabo is the worlds best Marlin fishing bar none, More marlin are caught and released everyday in Baja than anywhere else in the world! You also have great tuna,dorado, & waho fishing. Try it you will love the baja for it championship fishing.

• Golf
    • Spa and Resort

• sundawn's Profile Photo

If you have a chance to go fishing do it.

by sundawn Updated Jan 15, 2006

We rented a fishing boat with 4 other men and it made the cost of fishing a lot cheaper so there were 6 of us. Out of the 6 of us I was the only one who caught anything. I caught a 110 pound Marlin

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Go deep sea fishing. Now,...

by jessicadf Written Oct 4, 2002

Go deep sea fishing. Now, personally, it didn't do a lot for me. I got a tan, but that's about it. My friend and his dad really enjoyed it though.

• msfleming's Profile Photo

Deap Sea Fishing

by msfleming Written Feb 25, 2003

The deep sea fishing is pretty fun. We caught a small sail fish which we released and a Mahi Mahi which we had for dinner that night.

Instant Answers: Cabo San Lucas

Comments

View all Cabo San Lucas hotels