La Paz Things to Do

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo

Snorkel as much as you can while in La Paz

by pigletsmom Updated Apr 4, 2011

A typcial colorful wrasse

La Paz is situated on the sea of Cortez with several small islands near by. We rented a small boat and hired a few young tour guides to help us see the area. It was spectacular scenery with the visibility being about 100 ft.
    Every day was amazing. I swam with sea lions, manta rays,
    giant sea snakes and eels. Colorful and magnificent sheephead, orange tang, and rainbow colored wrasse were just a few of the fish I was able to see up close. It was a fantastic trip.

Playa Telecote

by PALLINA Written Aug 25, 2008

Differently from Baia Balandra, Playa Telecote offers everything to the beach tourists: sun beds, sun umbrellas and two-three restaurants. On the other hand, it is extremely crowded especially on weekends. I have realized that Mexican are used to spend Sundays with the whole family on the beach so they bring their own tents and organized barbecue. Very pictoresque to see although it can be noisy.

Baia Balandra

by PALLINA Written Aug 25, 2008

Baia Balandra is definitely one of the best beach in Baja California and surely the best of La Paz area. Unforturnately many "pazenos" agree with me, so it is normally very crowded, especially on weekend. Nevertheless, it is almost paradise with very white and fine sand, crystal blue water and a lot of pelicans. Some "palapa" sun umbrellas and some mango's sticks vendors are the only facilities there. Not to be missed.

Boat trip to Isla de Espiritu Santu

by PALLINA Updated Aug 25, 2008

The island of Espiritu Santu is one hour far from La Paz and really worth-seeing. You will see a bunch of sea lions and you can snorkel there among them. Don't be afraid, they will be more scared than you. After snorkelling boat trip's captain will take you in a heavenly beach. Absolutely not to be missed.

• brownr's Profile Photo

Language School in La Paz

by brownr Written Jan 6, 2008
    Language School in La Paz, Baja California Sur

My wife and I spent a wonderful week in La Paz in March 2007. We contacted the Se Habla...La Paz language school and made arrangments with them for a homestay. We would highly recommend Se Habla as a language school and La Paz as a destination!!

• euzkadi's Profile Photo

Balandra Beach and Todos Los Santos island.

by euzkadi Written Aug 20, 2007

The city is the hub to visit all the natural beauties of the region, most of the islands of the area as the Espiritu Santo island were declarated World Heritage by the Unesco. The area is also famous as a breeding ground for whales.

• euzkadi's Profile Photo

Main Plaza.

by euzkadi Written Aug 20, 2007

As in almost all Spanish Colonial cities, La Paz has a Main Plaza with the Cathedral and Governement buildings, the city was founded by Hernan Cortez in 1535, and has an interesting history of Spanish Conquerors, Pirates and Pearlers.

• Fishing with the best!

by Camote Written Aug 14, 2006

I have been to La paz for the past 12 years and have tried every individual fishing charter that is out there. Not to go to much into detail about the common poor service and poor conditions of over vendors I simply want to point out the BEST SERV I have ever experienced in Baja.
    The Hernandez' family went clearly out of their way to cater to my wife , mother and I on our first kayak trip! We arrived very late (11pmish) and he welcomed us in and his poor wife fed us. He advised we would talk business the following day, and that I should rest to go fishing the following day. Mrs Hernandez took the wife and mom shopping and I went fishing.
    If you ever get a chance to go to La Paz give them a call I cannot say enough other than they are the greatest!

Phone # for Gerardo is 011 52 612 122 51 12 and his email address is gerardo_tortuga@hotmail.com

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

The Zocalo on Sunday Afternoon

by bdwoot Written Jan 8, 2005

Downtown is the city square, like every city in Mexico. On Sunday afternoons there is nothing open, and nothing to do but go down to the zocalo. There families sit on park benches in their Sunday best, the old and young, visit and play and pass the time of day.

Time stops and nothing seems too important. I was walking around the square and a three-year old was playing on the sidewalk in front of me. We do an Alphonse-and-Gaston, stepping from side-to-side to avoid each other. He then runs to me, grabs my leg, and I throw him in the air. His grandfather and an elderly friend are laughing and I'm laughing and he's laughing, and all seems right in the world, at least for a few minutes. I was smiling uncontrollably for the rest of the afternoon.

• highplainsdrifter's Profile Photo

Tecolote Beach

by highplainsdrifter Written Mar 15, 2004

take time to drive East of town on Hwy 11 to see where the ferry boats come in and then on out to Tecolote beach to have some fish tacos at one of the 3 resterants there. we picked the one that used a old boat for it's kitchen.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Paddle, paddle, snorkel,...

by diver-x Written Feb 25, 2003

Paddle, paddle, snorkel, snorkel, hike & paddle some more!

Even though this was a group trip, kayaks give you the freedom to investigate the coast and marine life on your own. Our group was often spread out across a kilometer or so while we were paddling.

On our trip we had 5 double kayaks and 4 singles. We each took turns with doubles/singles.

• Hiking and Walking

• o00o's Profile Photo

ENSENADA TO SAN QUINTIN takes...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

ENSENADA TO SAN QUINTIN takes you along 118 miles of winding road through rich farm land and vineyards. Small farming towns sell tomales, olives and tomatoes. Watch for killer speed bumps at Santo Tomas.

THINGS TO DO >The...

by o00o Updated Aug 25, 2002

THINGS TO DO >

The well-kept secret of the Baja is told in the variety of things to do there.
    First stop at TIJUANA with its tourist shops, skyscrapers and sprawling slums give a wild first impression. Shop here before your long journey start or your way home. Good bargains and entertaining bargaining not to be found between here and Cabo San Lucas.

o00o's Things to Do Tip

by o00o Updated Aug 25, 2002

ROCK ART AND CAVE PAINTINGS >

The biggest and highest concentration of cave paintings are out of San Ignacio in the mountains and canyons north of town in the Sierra de San Francisco. Arrange for a guide in town or drive to the village of San Francisco de la Sierra and find a guide there.

BICYCLING >Many...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

BICYCLING >

Many independent cyclists successfully ride the entire Highway 1 from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas every year. Many find the southern portion from Loreto (airport) on to be the more scenic and less traveled by transport truck traffic.

Instant Answers: La Paz

Comments

La Paz Things to Do

Reviews and photos of La Paz things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for La Paz sightseeing.