La Paz Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in La Paz

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Local cops

by bdwoot Written Jan 8, 2005

This is something they have been trying to weed out for years, but with varying levels of success.

I was parked on the street while at a mercado, and I came back to see that I was parked illegally. I saw the cop before he saw me, and he was obviously stalling to wait for the gringo to return. As soon as he saw me, he started to remove my tags. I asked him in Spanish what he was doing, and he told me that I would get the tags back in three days when I paid the ticket. I told him that this was not acceptable, that I needed the car or I wouldn't have rented it. I asked him whether I could pay right now, say, 100 pesos, to settle the fine right now. He hemmed and hawed and then I said that was all I had. That's true, I only had that much in my wallet. The rest of my cash was in my sock.

I walked back to my wife who speaks no Spanish, and told her proudly that I just conducted my first bribe, and in another language at that.

Lesson: Don't keep much in your wallet. Keep most of your cash elsewhere. It helps in negotiating.

• o00o's Profile Photo

The Ensenada Scenic Highway (...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

The Ensenada Scenic Highway ( Mexican Highway 1D) is a toll road. 20 pesos or $2.15 will be collected at Tijuana, Rosarito Beach, and at the end in Ensenada.
    The Libre (free) road is heavily used by all sizes of truck and can be dangerous.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Sunburn!

by diver-x Updated Oct 4, 2002

You absolutely must wear sun block and a wide-brimmed hat while on the water! Some of our group thought that the hat would do the job by itself and got terrible burns on the first day!

• o00o's Profile Photo

A few warnings to the Baja...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

A few warnings to the Baja bound traveler. Drugs, firearms, or a single bullet, can put you in prison very quickly if brought into Baja.

• o00o's Profile Photo

The drinking age for North...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

The drinking age for North Baja is 18 years of age.
    Great looking beaches often conceal dangerous rip-tides.

Instant Answers: La Paz

Comments

La Paz Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of La Paz warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for La Paz sightseeing.