Safety Tips in Estado de Baja California Sur

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Baja California Sur

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Very bad traffic signal

by PALLINA Written Aug 27, 2008

I have noted that one way road are very badly indicated. If you are driving in the opposite way, you will not find the big red signaly to deny your acces. The only thing you'll find is what taken in the photo.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

be ware of the long distances.

by cachaseiro Written Apr 11, 2007

if you are cycling like me you should be ware that you sometimes have a hundred miles or more with no supplies.
    make sure to check your map to see what towns and rest stops you will pass on todays route and make sure you stock up when you see a place that sells food and drink.

• Cycling

• ludogatto's Profile Photo

Gasoline before the desert

by ludogatto Updated Jan 11, 2006

Before entering in the desert area be sure to have the the gasoline car tank full!
    The complete gasoline tank need you to reach the next pump at the desert exit.
    This is a intersection in the middle of the desert, the right road run to Baja de los Angeles...a moon place in the middle of nowhere with a great sea!
    Take care to done full gasoline before entering in the desert, there's no gasoline pump and if u have to go to Baja de Los Angeles u have to done 60 miles more!
    Take water or food too cause the only 'resturant' u can find is in this intersection!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo

You get what you pay for!

by windsorgirl Written Mar 12, 2004

Anyone who knows me, knows that I like to save money. However, when it comes to boat travel, I will never again choose the cheapest option.

I had booked a 4hr tour to Isla Espirtu Santo from La Paz with the Hotel Miramar. We departed from the Restaurant Bar at El Tecolate beach. The waves were quite high but we were assured that it was safe. Well, it wasn't and we ended up in the water. We were rescued after an hour and a half, unharmed but badly shaken up by the ordeal.

Ironically, we were rescued by a boat that I had dismissed travelling with that day because I found their price too high. Believe me I regret that decision and urge you to consider safety first before economy. I will also use my own judgement as to what looks safe or not, even if the "captain" tells me otherwise.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Livestock on the roads at night!

by worldtrekker Written Feb 17, 2003

Livestock in the Baja are free roaming. They wander onto roads including the main highway, usually after dusk. Be careful and slow down if you must drive at night. I was driving along when I saw these to bulls going at it. It soon got too dark for me to see the outcome... so I continued on. ;-)

Be prepared

by worldtrekker Written Feb 17, 2003

If you plan to drive extended distances in Baja make sure you are well prepared. There are hundreds of miles of road where you will see nothing as far as civilization goes. When you do come upon a small village or town, don't expect that you'll find the supplies you need. It's best to be as self sufficient as possible. Stock up on what you'll need when you reach larger towns. Make sure your vehicle is in good working order before you start the trip!
    If you don't do these things, well... you may run into some problems. You don't want to get stuck out in a remote area - help may not come for quite a while. Vultures may start circling... ;-)

Watch your fuel gauge!

by worldtrekker Written Feb 17, 2003

Fuel stations in Baja can be few and far between. If you are driving yourself down the peninsula, make sure you have an idea where the stations are and be prepared for long hauls. When I was traveling here in January 1998, there was a fuel shortage. I think the trucks were late or couldn't make it down because of flooding up north. It was El Nino that year. I first attempted to get fuel in Santa Rosalia when I found this out. I still had some fuel left, so I continued on to Mulege and that area for a couple of days. I had to backtrack a little to get fuel when the trucks finally arrived. Many people were obviously also waiting for these trucks...

• Davidp1952's Profile Photo

Pemex station near the Los Cabos airport

by Davidp1952 Written Nov 30, 2002

We did not have any problems during our stay and always felt safe. The trip went without incident until we headed to the airport to go home. There is a Pemex station just before you get to the airport. This is the most likely place to fill your rental car before turning it in. The attendent, with an accomplice, did an effective job of keeping me distracted when I paid for the gas. The man who took my 200 peso bill turned around while the other attendent was distracting me. He came back claiming I only gave him a 20. Not much I could do except learn to be more careful next time. A loss of 180 pesos (approx $18 US). Be sure to hold onto your money and count it as you give it to the attendent. Don't allow anyone to distract you while you are doing the transaction. Exact change would definitely be a plus.

Estado de Baja California Sur Hotels

El Triunfo Hotels
2 Reviews - 6 Photos
Caduaño Hotels

Instant Answers: Estado de Baja California Sur

Comments

Estado de Baja California Sur Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Estado de Baja California Sur warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Estado de Baja California Sur sightseeing.
Map of Estado de Baja California Sur