Bonampak Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bonampak

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Written Oct 25, 2011
    Cascadas de Moctuniha

The jungles around Bonampak house many more remote ruins and treasures, but typically due to their size and condition, they go unnoticed.

One worthwhile stop if you have the time is a jungle hike to the Cascadas de Moctuniha. If you want to take an additional hour (and some extra $ for entry fees), you can included the ruins of Lacanja.

Personally if you visit Bonampak and/or Yaxchilan, I'd skip the Lacanja ruins, but do visit the waterfalls. If there has been a lot of rain, the falls will be strong and impressive. If the rains have been less, it is possible to swim in the pools below, so bring a bathing suit and towel. Also the hike in will likely be muddy and you will have to cross water, so bring footwear that can get wet.

To get there, just at the entrance of the Z.A. Bonampak, take a right to the Z.A. Lacanja. About 5km down the end of that road, solicit any of the several cabina/campamento places and they will guide you down the paths. It is about a 40 minute walk each way. Once at the falls, you will have to pay $35.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo

Lacandon Indians

by Enzyme_X Written Apr 15, 2005

Some 3 km from where the road splits to ruins of Bonampak, is this village Lacanja Chansayab. It is the biggest Lacandon village, with a population of few hundred. The village is very spread-out.
    In late afternoon when I was there, there were almost no people to be seen, only couple of kids playing.
    A river is flowing nearby and there are some nice cascades.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Selva Lancandon Trip: a summary

by darthmilmo Written Mar 5, 2003
    Bonampak

From Palenque, I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja. Try to take this tour! This trip is a wonderful chance of visiting an often missed region of Chiapas. Shop around the various companies to obtain the best price. As always, bargain, bargain, bargain! For additional information, check out my Palenque page, my Bonampak page, and my Yaxchilan page.Check out my Estado de Chiapas page for more pics and tips on this tour.

• Archeology
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Bonampak

Comments

Bonampak Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bonampak off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bonampak sightseeing.