Ruinas de Yaxchilan Off The Beaten Path

• Crocodile Resting on the Usumacinta Riverbank
    Crocodile Resting on the Usumacinta...
    by atufft

• atufft's Profile Photo

Howler Monkeys of the Lower Plaza Area

by atufft Written Apr 19, 2007

Close-up Enhanced View of Howler Monkeys

Soon after we arrived on the plaza area near the entrance to Yaxchilan, we heard the loud roar of howler monkeys up a hill. Belinda and I immediately began climbing up a narrow path leading to where the sounds were coming. At first it was hard to see the howler monkeys so high in the trees, but then I spotted them. I shot a few pictures, but Belinda was better able to video them because of the harsh contrast between the shadows of the trees and the bright sky above. I also recorded their roar, so that I could dub the sound onto the DVD production once back home on the computer.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Selva Lancandon Trip: a summary

by darthmilmo Written Mar 5, 2003

Yaxchilan in Selva Lancandon

From Palenque, I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja. Try to take this tour! This trip is a wonderful chance of visiting an often missed region of Chiapas. Shop around the various companies to obtain the best price. As always, bargain, bargain, bargain! For additional information, check out my Palenque page, my Bonampak page, and my Yaxchilan page. Check out my Estado de Chiapas page for more pics and tips on this tour.

• Archeology
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• atufft's Profile Photo

Wildlife Along the Usumacinta River

by atufft Written Apr 20, 2007

Crocodile Resting on the Usumacinta Riverbank

Crocodiles, birds, and monkeys live along the river, as well as slash and burn farming of the Mayan farmers.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography
    • Birdwatching

Instant Answers: Ruinas de Yaxchilan

Comments

Ruinas de Yaxchilan Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ruinas de Yaxchilan off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ruinas de Yaxchilan sightseeing.

View all Ruinas de Yaxchilan hotels