San Cristóbal de Las Casas Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in San Cristóbal de Las Casas

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

Christmas Dinner in San Cristóbal

by IceBear7 Written Jan 30, 2003

Favorite thing: We had a tasty buffet dinner, with Russian soup, Mexican dishes and Glühwein (punch) in a Cuban restaurant and went to a couple of other places afterwards... Nice company, nice food - a merry Christmas!!

Fondest memory: Everybody was concerned before and after my trip that I would be lonely around Christmas. Not at all! In the picture there are three people from Switzerland, one from the UK and me, we had only known each other a couple of days or even hours, but it seemed perfect!
    These were very special days for everybody, but no Christmas stress at all. Just pure pleasure and excitement.

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

Museo del Ámbar de Chiapas - Amber Museum

by IceBear7 Written Feb 12, 2003

Favorite thing: I wish I had spent more time in this museum! But I only found the time at my last morning in San Cris and had to rush in order to catch my bus at noon.
    The museo is absolutely worth visiting although the exhibition is rather small. I was a bit surprised to hear about amber found in Chiapas, far away from the sea, but I learned they find it in caves! And Chiapas Amber is wonderfully clear and comes in beautiful shades of yellow.

Also, the building is nice, it's an old convent, with lots of room for expansion.

Fondest memory: An iguana made of amber! And wonderful jewellery!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Sunset over San Cristobal de las Casas

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Aug 13, 2012

Sunset over San Cristobal de las Casas

Favorite thing: In San Cristobal I could enjoy one of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen.
    The city sits in a small valley at height 2100m surrounded by hills and mountains having height about 2400-2600m. I climbed a hill where Iglesia de Guadelupe located and the great panorama of the city opened in front of me. It was rather dark evening because of clouds which covered the mountains. But suddenly the sun went out of clouds in a narrow gap and illuminated the valley and the city. It was wonderful!
    You can watch my 4 min 56 sec Video Sunset over San Cristobal de las Casas out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of San Cristobal de las Casas on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 16° 44' 17.65" N 92° 37' 32.38" W or on my Google Earth Panoramio San Cristobal de las Casas sunset.
    and San Cristobal de las Casas sunset 2.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Cultural capital of Chiapas

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Aug 11, 2012

San Cristobal de las Casas

Favorite thing: San Cristóbal de las Casas located in the Central Highlands region of Chiapas and is still considered the cultural capital of this state of Mexico. The city sits in a small valley surrounded by hills at height 2100m. Major landmarks of the city include Zocalo, the Cathedral, the Santo Domingo Iglesia and many other churches.
    I spent there two days in January of 2011 in my trip around Mexico.

You can watch my 4 min 13 sec Video San Cristobal de Las Casas in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of San Cristobal de las Casas on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 16° 44' 17.47" N 92° 37' 32.57" W or on my Google Earth Panoramio San Cristobal de las Casas panorama and San Cristobal de las Casas panorama 3.

• Architecture

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

San Cristobal

by nepalgoods Updated Sep 20, 2006

Favorite thing: San Cristobal has been always the local center of Chiapas, where the people come from the villages to trade and exchange news. So San Cristobal has also been the center of protest against the Mexican politics regarding the indigenian people. You can see the protest in graffiti on the walls of the houses in the city center. Many soldiers are trying to keep everything quiet.

Fondest memory: This child is part of the Children's Dia de la Revolucion.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo

History

by nepalgoods Written Oct 14, 2006

Street with colonial architecture

Favorite thing: San Cristobal de Las Casas was originally founded as Ciudad Real in early 16th century. The city was in the center a Spanish city and on the outskirts housed the indigenous population of Mayas.

To pacifiy these two antagonistic populations, they placed three monasteries (mercederio, dominican and franciscan) in between the Spanish center and the Indian periphery.Before the birth of the last convent, the Dominican brother Bartolome de las Casas (the first actual bishop) arrived in 1545 and opted for the dream of the Mayas and as a consequence suffered the rejection of the conquistadors.

The Spanish dream of 1524 revealed a clear urban will. During the two first centuries, the city fought against floods, earth quakes and the isolation of being on the border.

The city was called San Cristobal first. Then its name was extended to San Cristobal de las Casas in memory of the first bishop.

In 2003 San Cristobal had a population of 121.100 people.

• Maggs187's Profile Photo

Remember your rain coat

by Maggs187 Updated Nov 13, 2005

This is me enjoying the pumkin seeds with the tort

Favorite thing: San Cristobal was a great little town to visit on our journey through Southern Mexico. We stayed at a little posada, passed time in the evening at the cafes, walked through the rain and went on a tour to the two most prominent Indiginous tribes in San Cristobal. I would have to say that the tour was the most amazing adventure of the trip. We met a man in the front of the Cathedral who brought us to the tribes to experience how life was there. IT WAS AMAZING, we got to enter into homes and see how they are. We were able to visit the churc hand watch how they prayed (this was a big deal because these tribes took religion and prayer very seriously). We also got to visit the local market and walk around the town.

Fondest memory: One house allowed for our group to enter as she was cooking fresh tortillas in her house. She served the warm tortillas with crushed pumpkin seeds....yummy! The best part was the group was able to taste a very potent liquor that is special to that tribe called Posch. The liquor is so strong that the men who drink to much of it eventually become blind! It was very stong and I could only handle one shot :)

• luciano's Profile Photo

luciano's General Tip

by luciano Written Sep 18, 2002

Fondest memory: The town of San Cristóbal, in the state of Chiapas. Colorful, colonial, and secluded by mountains: one of the highlights of my trip to Mexico.

• luciano's Profile Photo

luciano's General Tip

by luciano Written Sep 18, 2002

Fondest memory: Many indigenous Mayans come everyday from the surrounding villages to sell their products at the market. They speak Spanish as a second language.

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo

one of the nicest markets through mexico

by cbeaujean Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: it's the oportunity for indian people to make business appointments!
    they walk,sometimes a long way,to sell fruits,flowers,handicrafts,...

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Comments

San Cristóbal de Las Casas Favorites

Reviews and photos of San Cristóbal de Las Casas favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Cristóbal de Las Casas sightseeing.

View all San Cristóbal de Las Casas hotels