Zinacantán Travel Guide

Zinacantán

Zinacantán Things to Do

San Lorenzo Church 3 more images

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Sep 28, 2012

The patron saint of Zinacantán is San Lorenzo (Saint Lawrence).
    The main feature of this village is the San Lorenzo church, a colonial building with a simple façade. After being destroyed by a fire, the church was rebuilt in 1975.
    The villagers consider the interior of their church as a most sacred place, and enter into this place with the greatest devotion. They hold on firmly to their traditions, and sometimes one gets the impression that time stood still centuries ago.

Zinacantán Transportation

In Zinacantan 1 more image

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Sep 28, 2012

When driving from San Cristobal de las Casas, you should take the highway to the Altos de Chiapas. At 7 km northwest of the city you will find a detour, showing two roads.
    One of them will lead you to Zinacantan and the other one to San Juan Chamula. Each village is about 3km away from the detour.

Zinacantán Local Customs

in an Indian family 4 more images

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Sep 28, 2012

We were told that matriarchate is still in use in this village. We were invited on a visit to an Indian family. The head of this family – the mother showed us her house and told about Tzotzil’s culture and manners. Then we took part in a wedding clothes show – it was a great fun! We saw fantastic Mayan textiles, Mayan weavings, Mayan embroideries and other beautiful handicrafts, which left us with an unforgettable impression.

You can watch my 2 min 22 sec Video Zinacantan Being on a visit in Indian family out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of Zinacantan on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 16° 45' 35.94" N 92° 43' 25.42" W or on my Google Earth Panoramio Tzotzil's textile.

Zinacantán Favorites

Zinacant��n 1 more image

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Sep 28, 2012

Favorite thing: San Lorenzo Zinacantán is a municipio (municipality) in the southern part of the Central Chiapas highlands. About 98% of its population is Tzotzil Maya, an indigenous people with linguistic and cultural ties to other highland Maya peoples.
    Zinacantán literally means "land of bats" and comes from the Nahuatl language.
    It is located within a small valley surrounded by green hills at only 11km northwest of San Cristobal de las Casas. We spent there 2 hours after visiting San Juan Chamula.

You can watch my 3 min 28 sec Video Zinacantan out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of Zinacantan on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 16° 45' 36.40" N 92° 43' 22.47" W or on my Google Earth Panoramio Chapel in Zinacantan.

Instant Answers: Zinacantán

Comments

Zinacantán Travel Guide
Map of Zinacantán