Next door to the Mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Juarez Cathedral with its Neo-classical facade, is built where the old graveyard used to be. There's a large iron fence around the two churches with an open gate on the south side. Near this gate you can often find the mission's self-appointed tour guide, Angel. Angel is an old man with salt and pepper hair, usually in a gray suit and matching fedora, who patiently waits to give tours of both churches. He'll walk you through the old mission and cathedral and point out lots of very interesting details. It's worth a substantial tip to retain his services.
Directly across from the main plaza, Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de El Paso del Norte y do los Mansos, was the first mission established in the area. The present structure was completed in 1668. A joint effort of Mexican, Mansos Indian and Spanish labor, the church took six years to build. Today it remains the oldest surviving church structure in the area. Located on Av. 16th de Septiembre, two blocks west of Av. Juarez
Located in the Ex-Aduana (former Customs House) building downtown, the Juarez History Museum chronicles the history of Juarez and the state of Chihuahua. Featuring permanent and visiting exhibits, there is much to see about the area from prehistoric times to the twentieth century. The Mexican Revolution and the exploits of Pancho Villa are prominent parts the the displays. All exhibits are in Spanish.
OPEN: Tue-Sun, daily 10-6
Tradition holds that the small image of San Lorenzo destined for the Guadalupe Mission "decided to stay" when the load became so heavy that the cart could not be moved. The small image may be seen in a niche toward the left inside the church. The main building was restored in 1959.
This sculpture was designed by the talented artist Humberto Peraza. It is situated at the entrance to Monumental Bull Ring on Ave. Paseo Triunfo de la Republica.
The Monument to Benito Juarez was dedicated in 1910 on the 100th anniversary of Mexican independence from Spain.