Monclova Travel Guide

Rachel helps the local pastor.
  • Monclova
  • Favorites

Monclova Things to Do

by HAWLEYJ Updated May 3, 2003

Monclova is built upon a huge metal refining factory called "Altos Hornos" (meaning "tall ovens"). This factory takes up many city blocks, and has it's own railways to each building. Very interesting! You can even see them pouring the molten metal at some sites!

by HAWLEYJ Written Apr 29, 2003

There is a park with an ENORMOUS steel cauldron that represents the actual cauldrons used at "Altos Hornos". Here we are with it.

Jonathon- God bless!

by HAWLEYJ Written Apr 29, 2003

This is Jonathon. Jonathon and I hit it off. My broken Spanish was enough to create a real, beautiful relationship. Jonathon's father lives in San Antonio. I didn't press too much into his family's home life, but the day before I left he was crying, and I think I was the only Christian father-figure he's had. I took him out and tried to buy him an ice-cream cone, but he didn't want one. Love these kids, it means the world to them.

• Religious Travel

Monclova Hotels

Monclova Restaurants

by HAWLEYJ Written Apr 29, 2003

The open-air feel combined with the unique dishes (bone marrow, for example) make this an interesting stop. They also have normal fajitas, mixed plates, fried mushrooms, etc. The main thing to remember is to eat like a Mexican. Always eat with a tortilla, and in my opinion it is good to squeeze a little lime! Of course, if you really want to eat like a Mexican, you need to get spicy!

Favorite Dish: I had the mixed plate, which gave me a bit of everything to put on a tortilla. It was good, but I think I would go with the fried mushrooms next time.

Monclova Local Customs

Just sunnin' and workin.

by HAWLEYJ Updated May 3, 2003

The lifestyle here is quite a bit different than in America. As with most places, it is generally much more laid back. The heat compounds the midday lounging, and work just doesn't seem so important!

Monclova What to Pack

Dana and the

by HAWLEYJ Written Apr 29, 2003

Luggage and bags: Pack for HEAT! I didn't see a drop of rain the entire time. Don't bring too expensive of anything unless you plan on having it with you at all times.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good shoes! The streets are almost all dirt and rocks. Bring nicer clothes if you plan on going to church. Mexico is conservative in their Sunday dress. Especially for the ladies.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: TOILET PAPER!! Many bathrooms at people's houses, etc. will not have toilet paper. Bring your own just in case. In addition, DON'T FLUSH THE PAPER!!! The basket next to the stool is for the dirty paper. Yeah, I'm serious.

Photo Equipment: Whatever you need to take pictures of those beautiful kids!!

Miscellaneous: Pants that zip-off into shorts worked GREAT for me!

Monclova Off The Beaten Path

by HAWLEYJ Updated May 3, 2003

This is the Rosa de Saron, I feel like it is the sister church to my home church in Rochester, MN- Mt. Zion Christian Center. The people there are lively, the band is great, and the experience is unforgettable! The church is found on Calle 28, Colonia Tierra y Libertad. I'm not sure the number, but it is in the 1300's to 1500's. Basically, it's the only pink church there, so it won't be too hard to find!

• Religious Travel

Monclova Sports & Outdoors

by HAWLEYJ Written Apr 29, 2003

Mexicans can't get enough of football (soccer, for us Gringos!) It seemed like every 30 minutes the kids would ask us to go play "fut" with them. And it is one of the best ways to make friends!

Equipment: Bring your own soccer ball if possible.

Monclova Favorites

by HAWLEYJ Updated May 21, 2003

Favorite thing: Meeting the kids! Mexico is 50% populated by kids under 16! Do whatever it takes, become a clown, hang out, play football, they will LOVE it!

Fondest memory: Playing football with the children.

Instant Answers: Monclova

Comments

Monclova Travel Guide
Map of Monclova