Nogales Things to Do
Bargain Hunting in Mexico
No trip is complete to southern Arizona without crossing the border for shopping in Nogales, Mexico. Here are some tips:
- Park on the Arizona side. In the right spot parking will cost about $1 an hour.
- Walk into and walk around Nogales, Mexico. Leave your car out of the country!
- Negotiate! There are so many vendors vying for your business that negotiation is expected even if you're horrible at it or shy. My gorgeous blanket started out at $100 - which is what you'd expect to pay in the US or Canada. 5 minutes into me being undecided - the selling price was $16 US.
- Feel safe. Relatively safe anyway. The people of Nogales, Mexico are largely dependant on tourists so they're not going to hassle you or cause you harm.
- Having said that keep in mind that pickpockets are always possible so keep a close eye on your wallets/purses anyhow. Leave your jewelry at home.
- Walking into Mexico was no different than walking into a K-Mart... a simple turn-style with no border patrol! At least not when we went in April, 2001.Nobody asked to see our passport, nobody asked us why we were going into their country. Bizzarre!
- Crossing back into the US however was a different story. There's usually a 20 minute waiting line and DEFINATELY border patrol, so have all your official documentation with you.
- This is a vibrant, bustling city alive with craft vendors and colourful goods. However they also have their fair share of street people asking for change.
- Drugs for sale. We're not talking back-alley, shady transactions - Mexicans on almost every street corner yelling out prescription drug names for sale, as if they were selling concert tickets. Just say no, they won't hassle you.
- Leave before sundown! Everyone knows this, better safe than sorry. Stay in a hotel on the Arizona side if you must.
Nogales Warnings and Dangers
Leave your car at home or state side
well apparently if you drive your cart down to mexico theres a good chance , you could find yourself in trouble in which another 2 cars will set it up so you have an accident and have to pay your way out of it be careful and have extra cash or you could find yourself in lockup ..