Guanajuato Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Guanajuato

• Casa del Conde de la Valenciana: Patio setting - great food

by jonbarb709 Written Jan 30, 2006

High above Guanajuato is this unbelievable restaurant. The road to this area is at best rocky, small, and not a street you could walk on, no sidewalk. Then the restaurant, behind large wooden doors, this patio setting restaurant is just beautiful. The ambience and surrounding is fantastic. The food was excellent, a relaxing atmosphere, service was outstanding and the prices were more than reasonable.
    Across the street is the La Valenciana church and a number of craft shops are also in the area.

Favorite Dish: We ate there a couple of time. The chicken, the steak, was excellent.

• VdV's Profile Photo

Casa del Conde de la Valenciana: A delicious and calming respite in Guanajuato

by VdV Written May 5, 2005

An attractive & delicious Caprese Salad....

Valenciana is a lovely area in the northern edge of Guanajuato. This restaurant is located int the 18th century home of the former Count of Valenciana (supposedly owned/commanded one of largest silver mining operations in the area.)

The setting is beautiful--opt for dining in the inner courtyard. There is an art gallery onsite. It is a nice oasis where you relax, have a leisurely meal, and enjoy the fine food.

The menu is very eclectic, with some Mexican food items with a "nuevo" flair, as well as some European type dishes.

Some may describe this as a tourist trap, as when we were there, almost all the patrons were "gringos", but hell, the food was good, reasonable and the setting beautiful.

Favorite Dish: My mother had "Carcoles a la provencal" basically escargot provencal style. The disclaimer here is that my Mom is a VERY picky eater, and she was about to forego lunch altogether. But when she saw escargots on the menu, she perked up and ordered some. She loved them, so they must have been pretty good.

I had a delicious and refreshing cold soup--"Sopa Fria Angela" which was a cold soup made of chile poblano, yogurt and grapes. I also had a Caprese salad (pictured here)--your basic tomato, mozarella, basil/lettuce drizzled with olive oil salad--a sort of standard dish that I can enjoy anywhere, but here it was artfully presented, and yes, delicious, too.

The real signature of this place is the Te Helado de la Casa, or the House Iced Tea. After a warm day of sightseeing, it was so nice to sit down and have a huge class of this delicious iced tea flavored with citrus juices and not overly sweetened (I prefer my iced tea unsweetened, so I was afraid it would be sugary sweet--to my delightful surprise, it was sweetened just right--just a touch so not as to overpower the tea and citrus flavors.)

• tacos del guero: the best tacos in town

by superlolo Written Feb 13, 2003

This is a little "puesto" on a public place of Gto. The Guero (the guy who makes the food...) is there every night, and serves the best tacos, quesadillas, tortas, etc... Ok. You will not see a complete restaurant structure, but don't be affraid. I ate there all the time and wasn't sick. Just don't put too much sauce, because its very spicy and sometimes your stomach wont take it!

Favorite Dish: QUESADILLAS MIxtas! Its a tortilla with melted cheese, beef, and sausage (?)... after that, you can add wathever sauce you like. hummmmm delicious!

• El Midi: A Slice of Southern France

by Jetgirly Written Mar 30, 2008

A Delicious Lunch for 50 Pesos at El Midi

While I was in Guanajuato, I changed my Facebook status to read, "Carly is in Guanajuato, which is really just El Midi Restaurant surrounded by a few old buildings and churches and parks and stuff." El Midi is one of the best restaurants I have eaten at lately, and it also happens to be one of the most affordable. The best time to visit El Midi is in the afternoon, when they have their fantastic lunch buffet available. It's a cold buffet featuring an amazing variety of vegetables (grilled, marinated, in salads, mixed with couscous, etc.), fresh quiches and loaves, and a few dishes with chicken and salmon as well. You pay by weight for what you eat, and I found a light lunch to cost about 30 pesos ($3), with a huge lunch costing 55 pesos (about $5.50). El Midi also has insanely delicious aguas frescas - don't miss the papaya melon flavour! In fact... don't miss any of it. Just go!

• El Gallo Pitagorico: Getting there is half the fun

by jonbarb709 Written Jan 30, 2006

From the main square, look behind you, straight up, right behind the San Diego Church. See the restaurant, is it blue, than thats it. You have to climb a few flight of stairs, but once you get there, the food and view was worth the trip. Its an Italian restaurant in the center of Guanajuato.

Favorite Dish: The Lasagna, the chicken. The sauce was excellent. The wine was great. Service was excellent..

• Chao Bella: Hard to find, worth the looking for

by jonbarb709 Written Jan 30, 2006

Trying to find this place was the first problem. The winding streets, the backroad, the narrow alleys. I remember walking towards the College, and there it was. Its an old house converted into a restaurant with several rooms and only a couple of tables in each room.
    The ambience is fantastic. The food was great, the service was excellent.

Favorite Dish: Chcken, sauce was excellent.

• cindi5775's Profile Photo

La Bohemia Restaurante-Bar: Good Food, Good Service, Good Location

by cindi5775 Updated May 10, 2009

La Bohemia is a small restaurant conveniently located in Guanajuato's main plaza (Jardín de la Unión) that opened for business on April 2, 2009. Don't let the recent opening dissuade you from eating there, though. The owner has more than 42 years of experience in the hotel and restaurant business. When this property became available a few months ago, the owner decided to combine his two existing restaurants and move to the new location.

The restaurant offers several breakfast choices including omelets, eggs, chilaquiles, French toast, pancakes, a fruit plate, and cereal. For lunch and dinner, it offers everything from quesadillas, hamburgers, and sandwiches to steak, fish fillets and stuffed chicken breasts. The menu also includes several soups, salads, appetizers and desserts.

For a filling meal that won't break your budget, try the meal of the day for $55 pesos. The menu rotates from day to day and includes your choice of two soups and two entrees, salad, rice, bolillos (French bread-type rolls), and a fruit drink. The owner says he has about 50 different meals that he plans to rotate for the meal of the day.

Vegetarians who eat eggs and cheese can have a good meal here as the menu offers a couple of meatless egg dishes, chilaquiles, cheese enchiladas, mixed vegetable salad, green salad, guacamole, beans, quesadillas, queso fundido, several soups, and spaghetti.

Besides coffee, tea, soft drinks, and fruit drinks, the restaurant offers a wide variety of alcoholic drinks.

The service is very good. The food is tasty, well-prepared, and attractively presented.

One thing that impressed me was that the silverware and napkin for each place setting were placed in plastic bags instead of sitting open on the tables.

There are four sets of French doors along two sides of the restaurant, which are kept open during business hours. It is pleasant to sit inside but still have a breeze and be able look out into the plaza. In the evenings, you can listen to the music of several mariachi bands that stroll around the Jardín.

The restaurant is open from 8:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and also offers delivery.

Coming soon: New, more comfortable chairs and the menu in both English and Spanish

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish so far (though there are many other choices I can't wait to try!) is milanesa de pollo. This is a chicken cutlet (pounded very thin) that is lightly breaded and fried. It is served with a mound of rice and vegetables, and a small salad (more like a garnish) of shredded lettuce, a couple of slices of cucumber, a slice of tomato and a drizzle of salad dressing. The milanesa was cooked just right....not greasy or too crispy. The salad dressing tasted freshly-made.

The dish was attractively presented and the food was fresh and very tasty. The price ($55 pesos) is about average for downtown Guanajuato.

• El Tapatio: Authentic Mexican

Enchiladas Mineras at El Tapatio

El Tapatio is a cute hole-in-the-wall type place directly across the street from the university. It serves a variety of traditional Mexican dishes, and posters featuring photos of the food can help you decide what to order if the menu fails you. I opted for a Guanajuatan speciality- enchiladas mineras. These cheese-filled enchiladas come with a big scoop of sauteed carrots and potatoes on top (as well as the prerequisite extra cheese). The food was good and the service was great- the waiter recognized the people I was eating with from a former visit and joking asked them when they'd be back again.

• Panaderia La Luna: Freshest Baked Goods

by Jetgirly Written Apr 6, 2008

Panaderia La Luna is a great place to pick up fresh baked goods in the morning, especially if you're staying on the east end of town (for example, at Casa Mexicana or the official Hosteling International hostel). Follow my bad directions below and surely you'll get there sooner or later. In the "historic center", baked goods go for about five pesos each, whereas at Panaderia La Luna they're closer to half that. Get there early in the morning (around 8:30) for the freshest muffins (that taste like angelfood cake), rolls and mini-loaves around.

Favorite Dish: DIRECTIONS:
    I've searched and searched for an address for this little bakery but I can't find one! Basically, if you're walking to Cafe Tal, heading uphill, just keep going. Go past the market (you can take the pedestrian bridge if you want) and the bakery is a few doors up on the right. We timed the walk from Casa Mexicana (a hostel) and it's four minutes- if you've walked more than six or seven minutes you're definitely on the wrong track.

• Study Abroad

• Las Capellina: great nouvelle Mexican!

by mollynsteve Updated Mar 20, 2007

bright colors and steep hillsides of Guanajuato

March 2007 visit. This is a new multicuisine restaurant in Guanajuato, a welcome addition to the numerous restaurants in the center serving virtually identical limited Mexican menus. There are soups, salads, pastas, meats, fish, and vegetarian - with Mexican, Italian, Thai, Moroccan, and French preps. We stayed with Mexican and enjoyed soups, a shrimp taco, skirt steak cooked to perfection in a red wine chile sauce and salmon with guajillo chile - we ate there 2 nights, a testimony to how much we enjoyed it on the first visit. The servive was good, great fresh bread with sauces, inexpensived wine list. Without the wine and drinks this would have been an inexpensive dinner. When asked for recommendations the waiter suggested the least expensive Mexican wines and we enjoyed them. Credit cards accepted.

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo

''cocina economica'': Eat with locals

by Enzyme_X Written May 21, 2005

While I was searching for a place to eat lunch I found this one. Don't remember the name (if it had one). It's just a small dump, with few tables. It's a place where locals eat. And that exactly what I was searching for, not some fancy restaurant, specialized for tourists.
    I sat down and ordered a daily menu (only 30 pesos!!!). The soup and desert were decent. But main course was brilliant. I had pollo con mole negro (chicken in black chocolate souce). WOW! One of the best things I ever tasted.

• Santo Cafe: Are You Really, Really Hungry?

Patio at Santo Cafe

Santo Cafe is located upstairs at Campanero 4- you can't miss it's cute bridge patio as you walk down the street (and it's only a block from Casa Mexicana hostel). The first time I went to Santo Cafe I waited upwards of twenty minutes for an iced latte- only to find it was served iced with the assistance of vanilla ice cream rather than ice! Good, but kind of weird and not what I wanted. However, I sucked it up and went back a few nights later for a proper meal, and I was blown away! First, Santo Cafe is an EXCELLENT value. The portions are huge and the prices are low. With this in mind, they even offer their pastas in half portions. For dinner, I started with a bowl of yummy sopa azteca- a soup made with chicken stock, chipotle pepper, strips of fried tortilla, cheese and avocado slices. The bowl was huge and could have been a meal in itself, if only I had known. I don't remember my second course, except that it involved lightly grilled vegetables like broccoli and carrots, stuffed inside some sort of... crepe? Tortilla? I don't remember much except that it was huge and good. Santo Cafe also has a huge selection of teas available hot or iced, and I tried two of their blends iced to go with my meal. Santo Cafe is really popular with university students and visiting language students, but it's also a great choice for people who are a bit older and who are really hungry!

• Study Abroad

• Truco 7: Yummy... But A Harrowing Experience!

by Jetgirly Written Apr 6, 2008

I'm inclined to believe that Truco 7 is a victim of its own popularity. It comes highly recommended- in guidebooks, online, through word of mouth. On my first visit, I arrived to find the restaurant full but nobody waiting, so I wasn't too worried about getting a table. After I'd been waiting a few minutes, a woman came, asked me if there was a wait, and took a seat in the waiting area (before 2:00 pm they don't make a list). Well, when a table became available and the host came out and asked who was next, the woman jumped up and said she had arrived before me! I was majorly pissed off, but I figure that the type of restaurant where people would lie about the wait list on Good Friday must be really good! I eventually got a table (and glared at the table-snatched throughout my meal) and ordered: a bowl of vegetable soup to start, then cheese enchiladas in mole sauce, and a glass of watermelon agua fresca to drink. The soup was great and the agua fresca was AMAZING- I slurped it up quickly and asked for another to drink with my enchiladas. My enchiladas came and they were awesome, but the drink didn't come. I asked the waiter twice, and both times he said it would just be a minute. At the end of my meal I got the bill, which included two aguas frescas (but I had only received one). I pointed it out to the waiter and he said he would bring the drink right out, so I paid. And then I sat. For fifty minutes. I had PAID for the drink, I WANTED the drink (it was so yummy!), I REMINDED the waiter that I was waiting... and nothing. Finally I raised my voice so that people at the other tables could hear, told him that I was sick of waiting, and "demanded" the drink that I had paid for. It was at my table in a minute.

Favorite Dish: On my next visit, I ordered the same food and it was all really good, but the service was just as bad. My waiter left in the middle of my meal and nobody seemed to replace him- my empty plate must have sat in front of me for forty-five minutes while I tried to flag down someone to get my bill. Nobody would help me, so I got up, collected my stuff as if I were going to leave, and snuck into the bathroom (so they'd think I'd left without paying). Needless to say, the second I left the bathroom they were shoving the bill at me, watching me suspiciously to make sure I paid. The food at Truco 7 is great, the prices are reasonable, and it's a nice-looking restaurant... but based on two meals there I can say with some assurance that the service is poop.

• pencho15's Profile Photo

The Market

by pencho15 Written Aug 28, 2010

In my opinion one of the most interesting things about traveling is knowing new things, and food is one of the best thinks to taste; when I visit a new place I always try to eat the local dishes. In the case of Mexico the best way to eat the most typical and lest touristy mexican food is visiting the markets that exist in every city.
    Guanajuato is no exception, the market is a cheap and delicious place to eat, the food court is beside the main building in the market and there you'll find many places to eat, they all serve more or less the same so it does not makes much difference in wich place you decide to eat.

Favorite Dish: The typical dish in Guanajuato are the "Enchiladas Mineras", enchiladas is a food eaten in all Mexico, but they vary from place to place according to the kind of sauce they use. The enchiladas mineras from Guanajuato were tasty, and they are served with carrots, wich as far as I know only go with this dish in this version.
    Being a touristic place you can ask your enchiladas not to be very spicy, in case you don't want to face the mexican guajillo chili.

• pencho15's Profile Photo

Santa Fe: On Jardín Unión

by pencho15 Written Sep 2, 2010

Not sure about the whole name, but it is the restaurant that belongs to the hotel "Posada Santa Fe" located on Jardín Unión. I did not stay at Posada Santa Fe, but the restaurant is open to every visitor. they have tables on the street and sitting there to eat is quite pleasant, since the garden is quite pretty and there is a nice atmosphere. I don't recall much of the menu, I remember I ate some pasta to recover the energy after walking all morning, and I also remember I was quite pleased with the food, so a double recomendation for the place, both for it location and for it's flavor.

Instant Answers: Guanajuato

Comments

Guanajuato Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Guanajuato restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guanajuato sightseeing.