Guanajuato Tourist Traps

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Guanajuato

• Vikingvicki's Profile Photo

Calle de bessos

by Vikingvicki Written Apr 8, 2005

A VERY narrow alleyway, with 2 houses so close that you can kiss from each balcony.

Young boys come up and for a tip will tell you the story of the 2 lovers, quite heartless reciting I felt. Then it costs to go u on 1 of the balconies, althoug it's almost nothing, so you might as well, it's an honest way of earning some pocket money

There is also a guy with some chalk or water colour pictures of the calle, they are 30 pesos, then he'll ask you your name ( and your partners) and write it in the corner and charge an extra 10 ;-)

Unique Suggestions: Having said that when you make your way down - through the souvenir shop, there is a good silver shop there.....

Kiss me quick

• pencho15's Profile Photo

Museum of Legends

by pencho15 Written Sep 16, 2010

Guanajuato is a city full of legends, most of wich occur duriing colonial times, before I traveled there I heard about a fantastic museum that represented many of the most popular legends through animatronix, puppets and other means, it sounded really interesting so I marked it on my list.
    When I was going up to "El Pípila" statue we saw that the museum of legends was up there on the hill, near the statue and that the tickets were sold along the cable car ticket to go there, if you bought both tickets together you got a small disscount; wishing to see the museum I did. What I didn't knew was that the city actually has two different museums dedicated to the legends.

The visit to the museum near the Pípila statue was average, it is not a total waste of time but it is not spectacular, I left a little bit dissapointed since I was expecting so much more. It wasn't till I got back to my hometown that I learned about the second museum, wich is a little far away from the downtown and wich is the one that was so much recommended.
    While the museum near the Pípila ain't bad,I would just visit it if I have plenty of time, otherwise there are better things to do, also if I have to choose I would visit the other museum; since I missed it I can't tell you anything about it except that I was told it is a great visit, but if you are interested ask for information at a touristic information post and make sure you visit the right one.

The legend museum near The P��pila

• ciaobella55's Profile Photo

NOT a city tour

by ciaobella55 Updated Apr 27, 2011

There is a yellow hut in the plaza just near the Callejon del beso, and they advertise a 4 hour trip to all the important monuments of the city. If your time is limited like mine was, you'll think it a good idea. DON"T GO!
    This is a tour to their own shops and to museums no-one wants to go to.
    Our tour left at 1.30pm. By 4.15pm we had visited 2 museums, neither of them worth the admission, and 2 shops. And yes we had seen one church.
    The tour takes you around the outskirts of town, NOT into the centre at all. We did finally go through some of the tunnels and up to the Pipila monument/Lookout, which was the best part, and I was able to escape from here, walking down the steps to the centre and visit the REAL guanajuato.
    DON"T WASTE YOUR 100 PESOS

Unique Suggestions: If you get caught on this tour, remember that from the lookout you can either take the funicular down to town, or it's only about a 5 minute walk - down lots of stairs but it's do-able.

Then you will see close-up what you saw from the lookout - the beautiful square, the lovely Theatre Juarez, the pleasant streets.

Just walk it!

Fun Alternatives: The best thing to do in Guanajuato is to walk. The centre is actually quite compact, and relatively flat if you stick to the main road.

Also don't miss the market for a local's perspective and some good bargains.

Instant Answers: Guanajuato

Comments

Guanajuato Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Guanajuato tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guanajuato sightseeing.