Related Acapulco Favorites Tips

Tiffany making new friends!
  • Tour Guides available by the Cruise Terminal
    Tour Guides available by the Cruise...
  • Peanut, Aki, K-B & D-Rich heading out for the day
    Peanut, Aki, K-B & D-Rich heading out...

Most Viewed Favorites in Acapulco

Cruise Terminal

Favorite thing: *

*Cruise Terminal is located on the Northern Bay of Acapulco

*As you disembark from the cruise terminal, you will pass the first section of shops.
    I tend to avoid these shops unless it is a must need ie water, sunscreen, etc.
    The prices tend to be a bit higher than in other areas.

*Internet, phones, fax
    There is shop here you can log-into, use the computer, send email, make phone calls.
    It is a little more expensive than in town, but sometimes I do prefer to get my work done or call home before getting carried on with my day.
    Also, if you need help calling home, it may be simpler here since you can get help with that from English speaking attendands

Last minute gift items
    If you have to board the boat, this is your last chance to buy items to take back with you

Peanut, Aki, K-B & D-Rich heading out for the day Sam & Zipper chilling by the Cruise Terminal

• toddakiyama's Profile Photo

Locals very friendly..even the kids!

by toddakiyama Updated Jul 23, 2007

Favorite thing: *The locals were very friendly

*Sometimes all it takes is a quick smile and you can easily meet some great people.

*The locals can provide you with helpful hints, ideas, directions and their favorite places.

*I always consider part of the whole experience of travel, is learning the culture and interacting with the local people

Tiffany making new friends!

• toddakiyama's Profile Photo

Tour Guide - Acapulco Style!

Favorite thing: *

*There are personal tour guides available.

*They are usually hanging-out by the cruise terminal on the Northern bay of Acapulco

*They can help you with
    - Finding certain items at a shop
    - Finding a certain food item or restaurant
    - A guided tour of the key sights in Acapulco
    - Answering any questions
    - A fun little way of exploring the City if this is your first visit

*Most of the better ones we found, usually have nice colorful shirts on and hold a wealth of knowledge

*K-B hired this one to take us to some of the Flea Markets in town, since this was our first time in Acapulco city area

*We paid him $20 USD for about 2 hours of help/touring.

*He was very friendly, gave us good information, pointed out certain sights and suggestions for later, spoke good english, humorous at times...we all felt he was worth the $20 USD.

*Keep in mind that some of the guides may be getting a kick-back from the vendors he takes you to..FYI

K-B picking-up a local Tour Guide! Tour Guides available by the Cruise Terminal

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

The "Diana" fountain

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 29, 2005

Favorite thing: This is the "Diana" fountain, very similar to the one we have in Mexico City (another great spot for you to visit, please check my site out!), which is right at the entrance of Acapulco when you arrive here by car or by bus (when coming from Mexico City, Cuernavaca or any town north of Acapulco). It's one of the main points of reference in town and there's a lot of commerce around it. It's located on the Costera Avenue, too.

The Diana Fountain in the Costera Ave.
    • Architecture

• Day trip to Taxco

by song4joy2 Written Mar 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Set aside a Saturday to catch a bus to Taxco. You will not be sorry. It is a four hour trip by bus to this picturesque mountain town. Saturdays are the market day when the downtown streets are filled with open markets sprawling all directions. Here you will find silver jewellery in all styles from really modern to ornate. This is where the retailers from all over Mexico come to buy their silver. Saturday, being market day it is busy, but the prices are fantastic! Be prepared to push if you want to get next to some of the displays, and keep close clutch of your money when in these crushed crowds. Prices were a quarter of what you paid in Acapulco. Walk up to the Zocalo and step inside the cathedral Sta Prisca. This cathedral is breathtaking!

Fondest memory: My best memory of Acapulco will be Caleta Beach. This is where the locals come to play. The water is calm and great for swimming or just floating around. My hotel was right on Caleta Beach and I grew to love my home away from home. It also helped that it was filled with fellow Canadians who knew how to have fun!

• ephobius's Profile Photo

International Convention Center

by ephobius Updated Oct 14, 2004

Favorite thing: The Centro Internacional de Convenciones is a huge auditorium where lots of events are held each year. From concerts to contests, from conventions to expos, anything can be done here.

In 2000 I came to work here for a week as translator. It was a nice experience and I even met the President of Mexico.

Picture is from 1993.

Acapulco International Convention Center
    • Business Travel
    • Architecture

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

La Costera Avenue

by Laura_Mexico Updated Nov 2, 2002

Favorite thing: This is the main street in Acapulco, called the Costera (Miguel Aleman) Avenue. This is where 99% of the discotheques, bars and restaurants are located in Acapulco, as well as most of the nicest hotels in town and many stores & shopping malls...

La Costera Ave. and one of the main hotels in Aca
    • Beaches

• globetrott's Profile Photo

globetrott's General Tip

by globetrott Updated Sep 12, 2002

Fondest memory: After a taxi-ride of about 45 minutes we came to this hotel, situated directely on the beach. It also had a huge pool and garden-landscape around the hotel.
    I never again saw such a beautiful arrangement of palmtrees,waterfalls and tropical gardens inside a hotel...

• Do everything! Take the...

by barbaraq Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Do everything! Take the slumming tour, the tour of the banana plantation, the nightclub tour. This stuff is arranged but it's part of the experience.

Fondest memory: On our first trip our tour guide Louis was fantastic. He took us places and we met his friends and had a wonderful time. He even shared his home and dinner with us one night. . He made our first trip really special.

• jgemini65's Profile Photo

You must enjoy the wonderful...

by jgemini65 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: You must enjoy the wonderful people! I had never seen this type of hospitality in my life! Everyone was very gracious and caring!

Fondest memory: I could stand on my balcony for ever just mesmerized by the wonderful view!

• Try everything, don't be shy. ...

by pulpo Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Try everything, don't be shy. Shop the markets, gift shops, hit the beach, relax and enjoy. If you don't have fun it's your own fault.

Fondest memory: Walking the streets and stopping to see anything and everything that peaks you intrest. Talking with the people along the way, you will meet some real characters. Everyone there has a business card, no matter what they do.

• daBertl's General Tip

by daBertl Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Acapulco was not really a good one, but anyway. the following is an excerpt from my Latin America Stories:

Robbed, fined and stranded in Acapulco - The last days of La Gorda

On a Wednesday morning we left for Acapulco, a resort we all heard of and have seen shinning brightly in old Hollywood movies. We arrived over the hills to the north-west of the city, and slowly rolled down to the city's center. Once upon a time this resort was a stunning beautiful playground for the rich and famous, nowadays Acapulco is a large Mexican city that spreads out all over the surrounding hills and hosts a few 1960's style hotel bunker located along the Bahia de Acapulco. We found accommodation in a tiny hotel located in the center of old Acapulco a block off the Costera, the coast road. Although, the town seemed to be run down and has lost a lot of fame and glory of the past, we could still feel the charisma of this place and after a long first stroll through the town and along the coast far into the hotel zone we liked it and we liked to be there.

It was a hot day and we let it end by sitting on the small balcony of our hotel room, spilling down a few 'Modelos' and discussing the program of the upcoming days and weeks. Satisfied we went to bed after 2 A.M. to be woken up by one of the hotel staff only four hours later to tell us that somebody has smashed a window of our car. We immediately jumped out of our beds and ran downstairs finding the side window behind the driver's seat completely shuttered and the back seat of the car with glass fragments and nothing else. Since the car was parked right in front of a Mini Supermarket a small crowd of people stood behind us when we realized that also stuff that was inside the car was stolen. Other cars had been vandalized too, but no one seemed surprised. This was a very common happening in Acapulco as we learned from the Supermarket manager. We always left behind a bunch of unimportant items, such as towels, a cooler, and sunscreen. Since Baja California and the western coast of Mexico proved to be extremely safe, we had let our guard down when we shouldn't have. And this time we have the worst of luck. Stricken with a hard case of the flu, and tired, upon arriving to Acapulco Martin had for the once left in the car much of his photography equipment. He lost his newly bought guitar, shoes, glasses, a microphone for the video camera, many of his camera lenses and filters, and by far worst all the rolls of photography film, used and unused, which visually documented all the stops along our trip. Martin greatly lamented this loss for the photography represented an important aspect of the trip for him. With all the missing equipment he would have a hard time photographing and video-documenting in the months to come, but he tried to put the loss behind him. Besides these major losses we were relieved of some towels, sandals, a cool box, and change that we left in the coin tray for highway toll. We soon figured out that we could not do anything at all and that we had paid our price for leaving stuff unaccompanied in the car.

• Visit the local square, and...

by madigap Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the local square, and see the ancient (?) church. The story is that the church was originally built as a movie set, in the 40's. After the movie was filmed, the church was given to the community, and has been an actual Catholic Church since.

Fondest memory: The wonderful weather, beautiful days and nights, time to relax and enjoy shopping, sightseeing, walking on the beach or the streets, visiting friends both old and new.

• Fodeman's Profile Photo

Play Golf in the acapulco...

by Fodeman Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Play Golf in the acapulco Princess,the Sunset,run in the costera,breakfast in 'Villavera',in the night go to dance to BabyÓ
    Acapulco it´s a very special city

Fondest memory: The Night Life,the Discoteques,the restaurants
    All is magic

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

gkitzmil's General Tip

by gkitzmil Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: I believe Acapulco has the capacity to deliver a number of experiences to the visitor but not the beaches of a Cancun. I was 110% happy with my trip and will eagerly go back. I wanted total relaxation in 'Real Mexico.' I was happy I stayed in Caletilla beach, the old original Acapulco so that I could speak Spanish and relax. My chosen hotel, the Boca Chica is moderately priced and while a bit outdated in furnishings it is excellently located with a view of the beach, the bay, and clear out to the Ocean. It also is on a point so that I was literally surrounded by water!

I did not want to pay the $100 - $300 payed by many tourists at the 'big name' hotels for a nearly US experience on a bay beach that is dangerous. Caletilla is the safest and most sloped beach in Aca.

Others will find the nightlife of Aca' fun -- but I did not go for that. I did not even check out the clubs. If I wanted a good margarita they had great ones at the open air restaurant and bar at the hotel.

Acapulco Hotels

Mar Azul
Latest: May 31, 2014
Fiesta Inn Acapulco

Instant Answers: Acapulco

Comments

Acapulco Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Acapulco locals.
Map of Acapulco