Tourist Attractions in Acapulco

by Pinoy

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Acapulco

• Rosie's Tours Acapulco

by AcaGringo Written Aug 28, 2008

I agree with Gomexico... Rosie is not a good person to do business with. She wants to take you to low class restaurants, includes a tour of her house in her tours. Always takes people to stores so she can get a cmomission. Yeah, she is a real low class work of art.

Unique Suggestions: Avoid Rosie Dias in Acapulco

Fun Alternatives: Go with a company like Intersol

• Cruise

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Watch out when you eat at Barra Vieja...

by Laura_Mexico Updated May 19, 2008

I know Barra Vieja since I can remember -- went there with my family almost every time we visited Acapulco, it was a must! So in my last 2 visits, partly because of the nostalgy and partly because of the beautiful place it is and the delicious food you can enjoy there, I decided I *had* to go back...

In my trip 3 years ago I remember it wasn't as cheap as I imagined, but it was still decent. I think we didn't make it all the way to the very zone of Barra Vieja, perhaps we stopped by a spot a couple of kilometers before the actual Barra Vieja area. But the food was still great and the place wonderful, isolated and romantic.

This last time we did go all the way to Barra Vieja, where there are MANY little restaurants on both sides of the road (always prefer those on the seaside, they might be a bit more expensive but at least for me the view and the feeling of eating in front of the ocean is worth it). My mother insisted that I went to the place where we used to go when I was a kid: a restaurant called Jose Luis, on the seaside and which announces a pool in their premises (it looks more like a big fountain, but anyway...). Well, DON'T GO THERE if you happen to pass by!!!

Unique Suggestions: I will tell now the bad experience we had at this Jose Luis place. Upon our arrival (at about 5 PM, and you shouldn't get there a lot later cause they start to close by 6 PM) the waiter was very kind, offered me & my partner to choose whatever table we preferred (we had one right facing the ocean) and brought the menu. The prices seemed fair, so we ordered our food. The guy even brought us a couple of fish (of the Huachinango species) for us to choose which one we preferred: they were very fresh, big and beautiful. We had planned to order 2 (one per person) but after seeing their size we decided to share only one fish, and I must say it was more than enough.

So the waiter brings the food, we eat it and when he brings the check... $400 MXP (about USD $40) for one single lame fish! It is true that huachinango is a very fine kind of fish and it's expensive, this one was very fresh and big, but by no means can it cost this amount of money, especially not at a little local on the beach which can't even be called a real restaurant. And I complained not because of the price, but because nowhere in the menu was it said that a fish would cost this. They listed the prices of the rest of their dishes, but never was it adviced that a single fish would cost you such fortune... in fact, they had different prices for fish in the menu, but of course nothing similar to $400 Mexican Pesos...

Of course, we had already eaten everything and had to pay. But next time we'll make sure to ask how much it will cost before we accept & eat it!! And I suggest that you do the same!

Fun Alternatives: I still think this is a GREAT place where you should eat and spend a relaxing afternoon in contact with nature... but just be smarter than these local people -- who can be really abusive towards tourists -- and make sure they clear out for you how much you're going to have to pay for what you're ordering!

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Swim with Dolphins

by Arial_27 Written Mar 30, 2008

I only saw one opportunity to swim with dolphins here, and I would NOT recommend taking it. They charge about 900 pesos (roughly $90 USD) for 1 hour to swim the dolphins, and the worst part is that its all done indoor - the dolphins are contained inside a small building. I know this from asking them in Spanish about the location of the activity. Not only is it a lot of money to pay, but I really don't agree with keeping dolphins in an indoor pool. Don't support this cause.

• Cab drivers

by Srechko Written Jan 17, 2007

Just usual warning - cab drivers are in Acapulco to rip you off and they will most likely do so unless you are careful.

Unique Suggestions: My trick was to ask an independent person (i.e. bus station clerk) how much the ride from A to B might cost before asking the cab drivers.

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Day trip to Taxco

by monicarc Written Sep 5, 2006

While the town is quaint, you are bombarded with people trying to sell you silver & eat in various restaurants. The silver shops, much to my disappointment, didn't really have anything unique--I'm sure I could find the same things anywhere here in Houston or the southwest-- and I was suspicious that many items were made in china.

Unique Suggestions: Have lunch at the Parroquia, in the square, it was cute and you could sit in a balcony looking into the Plaza.

Fun Alternatives: Maybe drive to Cuernavaca instead--while we didn't go, my husband said its nice.

• vilip's Profile Photo

Beggars in "La Quebrada"

by vilip Written Jul 17, 2005

In La Quebrada, where you go seeing the Cliff Divers, there will be some beggars that approach your car or that approach you, and there is one that is particularly very well known even in Mexico City: a boy that moves his stomach so skilfully that a belly dancer would envy his movements!
    He says it happens because he is hungry. It actually happens because he has good stomach muscles! Well, if you want to give him money for the "show", it's your choice, but don't be fooled thinking that he is about to die and that his inner organs are er...having spasms (?)...
    (damn lack of English knowledge!)

Anyway, don't be scared neither feel disgusted.

• Vacation rentals(mayan Palace)

by mexdf Updated Oct 12, 2004

I wanted to check out the Mayan Palace to see about info on renting a condo on apartment for next Christmas.One local tour operator stated that he could arrange it.plus for checking out there property he would give us two tickets to a beach club and the Bonanza cruise.When we arrive we were invited to a breakfast Buffet,and then showned around the property,we were told that they have have a program for about 400us a year you can get a one bedroom apatment for a week.We then met with "numbers"persons who started quoting prices and numbers like 30,000 us and 8,000 down.and a time period of 30 years.Yes is the old time share game!!!..Hvaing more experence in Psychology than all of them put together ,i told them i would have to show the contract to my lawyer both in the US and in Mexico.Talk about a cross shown to a vampire.The numbers lady then copped a attutude and we left only to be sent to another person who tryed to sell us on a vacation plan.I expalined to all of them at the Mayan that (1) if a offer is good it will be good tommorow(2)that any good business has not problem with you consulting with your lawyer.(3)never sign anything on the spur of the moment(4)consult the Us Chamber of Commerce of your State Attornry General for info on these types of Business.

Unique Suggestions: Do not be preasured in to signing anything!
    See above on advice on dealing with these companys.

Fun Alternatives: Vacations shares Vacations rentals Time shares All the same!!!!

• SoCal_Chick's Profile Photo

Taxi Drivers & Marketplaces

by SoCal_Chick Updated Aug 3, 2004

When asking to go to a marketplace, every taxi driver has a place they recommend. That is because they are getting a kickback from those merchants or their relatives work there.

Unique Suggestions: Go to the driver's suggestion, but don't stay with someone who offers to "guide" you through the marketplace. You are not obligated to stay with them. Be especially careful if someone starts trying to take you deep into the corridors of the place. It's like a maze and you don't want to be dependent on anyone to lead you out.

Fun Alternatives: Remember, there's always another taxi driver willing to take you to another market. Think of it as an adventure or challenge to keep a positive mindset or it can be draining.

• Luxury Travel

• GinGinCoo's Profile Photo

MEXICAN FEDERALIS!

by GinGinCoo Written Feb 3, 2004

OK, they're just the mexican police., but beware!!! We were on our rented Jeep Wrangler & was asking the police for directions. Maybe it was the big AVIS sign on our Jeep that says "we're tourists" that did it but the police that we asked directions from suddenly stopped us & said we ran a red light & we had to pay a FINE! I went nuts and started screaming said "acapulco is very bad, we'll tell all our friends not to go back here again!" Well that did it.. they let us go without paying anything! .

Unique Suggestions: Never ask for directions from the police if you have to just ask the locals, they will be very helpful and might even give you a little tour which a lot of them did for a small tip.

• beware the all-inclusive package

by solis Written May 9, 2003

One thing you do not need in Acapulco is reservations for a hotel (unless you are coming the week after Christmas or the week before Easter). The hotel occupancy rate in this city is usually between 50 and 70%. In other words, you can arrive, take a taxi to the Costera, and find a place close to the beach, usually a lot cheaper than the places that advertise heavily or have packages. The same thing is true for restaurants. You do not want to eat in the same place for each meal, at some time chosen by someone else. There are restaurants every other door along the Costera, everything from Mexican to international to KFC to Dominoes to McDonalds. Acapulco can be one of the cheapest beach vacations in the world if you avoid the pricey places, but the all inclusives tend to be at the priciest places.

• principesa's Profile Photo

Let's be honest. Basically...

by principesa Written Aug 26, 2002

Let's be honest. Basically everything in Acapulco is a tourist trap. The city has been completely overrun by the tourist industry. There are many people who try to take advantage of unwary tourists, so be on your toes!

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo

We went Scuba diving and it...

by rossandkelli Updated Aug 26, 2002

We went Scuba diving and it wasn't good at all! The water wasn't very clear, the boat was nasty, the equiptment old and there wasn't many fish! Oh, the sand is gritty too - not a tourist trap, just an FYI

• pobrecita's Profile Photo

Let's be honest. Basically...

by pobrecita Written Aug 26, 2002

• ephobius's Profile Photo

Outside La Costera

by ephobius Written Sep 18, 2002

At La Costera (main avenue along the beach), some other few streets, and Las Brisas and Diamante areas (millionaires neighborhoods) you can find the best of Acapulco. Unfortunately, there are not so nice places outside that areas, and can be disappointing to visit.

• Music
    • Cruise

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

As anywhere else, watch for...

by flyingpig Written Aug 25, 2002

As anywhere else, watch for the taxis and how much they charge you, especially on your way back from the clubs. You can also get very different prices for the rental of a jet ski - do shop around, it pays off.

Acapulco Hotels

Park Royal Acapulco - All Inclusive
Latest: Mar 8, 2014
Mar Azul

Instant Answers: Acapulco

Comments

Acapulco Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Acapulco locals.
Map of Acapulco