Zihuatanejo Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Zihuatanejo

• rkearns's Profile Photo

Chill

by rkearns Updated Jul 24, 2010

It's sometimes unbearably hot in Mexico during the summer. A British friend of mine moved to Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago, and she comes back to the States for a couple of months each year because she can't take the heat. This is how we cooled off on our trip...

ahhhhh ahhhhh I mean, look at that water! danger, danger there's nothing better.  .   .

• Wildlife Sanctuary

by ViejoGringo Written Sep 30, 2009

In Barra de Potosi, about 30 minutes south of Zihuatanejo, there is an amazing new wildlife sanctuary Refugio de Potosi. Butterflies, hummingbirds, caged scorpions and more iguanas than you can shake a stick at. It is not far from the seafood restaurants. For an overnight stay in the area, check out www.barravista.org; major eco luxury.

• Zoo
    • Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• Nicckie's Profile Photo

Amazing Deep Sea Fishing

by Nicckie Written Sep 19, 2008

Deep sea fishing IS the thing to do in Zihua! Every night we'd go out to dinner a little late, around 9:00 pm. And we couldn't figure out why the town was so quiet each night. Where did everybody go?

We finally figured it one morning when we awoke at 5:00 am to get to the dock before sunrise and meet up with our guide on a chartered boat for a day long fishing excursion. Maybe the sun hadn't risen yet, but I guarantee the people had.

It was like a raging party on the docks, everyone getting prepared for a big day out at sea to wrestle with nature's large fish.

We ended up getting the charter through a hotel concierge. There's really no difference in booking ahead of time and that gave us more flexibility to plan around our schedule and other activities.

Our guide was probably more motivated to get a big catch than we were because he knew we wouldn't take all the fillets from our catch and that could mean a very profitable day back on shore for him, bartering with the locals on the catch of the day.

Anyway, after spending an hour or so moving from spot to spot, we reeled a big one in! I won't go into all the details, but check out my 85 lb. sailfish! It was worth the battle! What a cool adventure!!!

Enjoy!

• Fishing

• rkearns's Profile Photo

boating around the bay

by rkearns Written Aug 26, 2008

we headed down to where the fishermen are after the morning catch, and we were hoping to negotiate a price for a boating excursion. well, we were approached, and we negotiated about $20 per person, for an all day adventure, with just ourselves and the two boat hands! it was brilliant! we bought beer, and in the middle of the day, they brought some food on board from a local restaurant. we made a few stops to get out and "use the bathroom" but other than that, we just skipped around the bay all day. we were in paradise. they even let us drive the boat for a while! we caught a fish but released it, in fear of eating from polluted water.

pristine day, couldnĀ“t have been any better.

dunking around the bay refreshments! me on the boat fishing on the boat

• English and/or French lessons

by ecifram Written May 26, 2008

Hello,

If you enjoyed your holidays in Zihuatanejo, and if you want to discover another side of the city and the population,
    Come back and help our association!
    We organize English and French lessons for the citizen of Zihuatanejo from 4th July to 22nd August 2008.
    We need your help: nowadays communication is indispensable, especially in an area so touristic!
    If you are interested and want more informations: virginielortscher@yahoo.fr

Thank you!

Virginie

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• best restaurant in zihuatanejo "punta arenas"

by liamdance Written Nov 18, 2006

hi I'm from zihuatanejo but I live in the U.S and I love going to "PUNTA ARENAS" is one of the oldest restaurants in town, great food!! is small, great prices, is close to the pier el "muelle" you can walked and cross the bridge or by taxi like if you are going to hotel
    puerto mio, it is no open all year. but we love it , the people there is so nice, if you decide to go by taxi, a lot of them will tell you they dont know were it is because a lot of them are being paid by other restaurant to take them somewhere else.

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

Playa Las Gatas and great Sea Food Tacos

by Cruiseone2003 Written Oct 19, 2006

I arrived in Zihuatanejo, Mexico by cruise ship and wanted to do something special, relaxing, but fun with the short amount of time I was in town. I had read a review about Playa Las Gatas with the calm waters, palapas on the beach and restaurants so I thought, "Why Not?".

If you go to the Marina in Zihua (Pronounced Zee-Wah, short for Zihuatanejo) you can buy a ticket for $3.00 (That's USD) on a little boat that will take you from the Marina across the bay to Playa Las Gatas; the boat holds about 6 people comfortably and your ticket is good for a roundtrip.

I didn't know what to expect at Playa Las Gatas, it's one long crescent shaped beach so do what I did, just walk along until you see a place that calls you. I walked until I got to a very shady tree, two sets of lounge chairs were underneath, small table inbetween each set with blue table cloths and sun flowers on top; I had arrived! The restaurant that runs this stretch of beach is called "Amado's". There's no charge for the use of the lounge chairs as long as you are drinking and eating. My waiter's name was David, he took great care of me making sure I never went thirsty. The manager of the restaurant showed up with two very long Barracuda's which turned out to be the daily lunch special, "Fish Tacos". I had three Coronas, 3 fish tacos, rice, small salad, chips and salsa for $14.00USD.

The water is very calm, perfect for folks who just like to float or swim, there are some reefs not too far away for those folks that like to snorkel. The occasional vendor will come around selling jewelery made from local stone, shell, and silver, they are very friendly and not aggressive.

• Cruise

• mexicruiser's Profile Photo

Side trip to Ixtapa

by mexicruiser Written Mar 18, 2006

For about $5 you can take a cab from Zihuatanejo to Ixtapa, have them drop you off at the beginning of hotel row, and walk the beach to the end where the entrance to Marina Ixtapa is. At the marina you will find the El Faro Piano Bar which is a great place to enjoy entertainment while watching sunset and enjoying a cocktail! Since it is at the top of the lighthouse, the 360 degree views are outstanding!

• Zihrena's Profile Photo

Zihuatanejo International Guitar Festival

by Zihrena Updated May 5, 2005

An annual springtime event with some incredible musicians. A full week of guitar music in this fabulous bay setting on the Pacific coast of Mexico. Music ranges from classical to blues, jazz to country, flamenco to traditional ballads. The 2005 festival was held from April 3 through 10, 2005. The third annual festival will be held from March 26 through April 2, 2006.

Guitarfest 2004 Closing Concert in Ixtapa
    • Theater Travel
    • Music
    • Festivals

Parasailing!

by dragoness86 Written Apr 1, 2005

Ixtapa's Hotel Row - Playa El Palmar. There's lots of opertunities to go parasailing, and they will all have about the same price - about 210 pesos if its tandem. Bring a camera to get some great views!

one of the great views from up above!

Playa Principal/Municipal

by dragoness86 Written Mar 26, 2005

Playa Principal is not the most beatiful beach in Mexico, but it is an important outlet to any tourist activities you might want to do. Along the Principal, there will be beach front restaurants that will ask you to come in and sit down. Playa Principal, in contrast to La Ropa, has very cheap yet still very good food. You if you walk only it southwardly, you will eventually reach some rock and a trail will emerge. Walk along it during sunset! It will lead to to other beaches as well. If you go north along the beach, you will enter a military-style like base, and there are pangas ready to take you to Las Gatas, the beach across the bay.

This is some damn good Pico de Gallo!

Playa La Ropa

by dragoness86 Written Mar 26, 2005

Definatly the most beautiful beach in Zihua. All of the expensive resorts lie around here, as well as spendy restaurants. However, this is a place to be on a nice, sunny lazy day (what day isn't described like that in Zihua?!).

Fresh Coconut Milk Enjoyed By Yours Truly!

Isla Ixtapa

by dragoness86 Written Mar 25, 2005

Isla Ixtapa is like a Hanauma Bay in Mexico. The snorkeling is pretty good, but I wouldn't take the kids because the current is pretty strong, and its not always easy to get out of the water. The beach is also coral chunks rather than sand, but its definatly worth the visit! You travel there by boat (30 pesos/person) and like most other restaurants in Zihua/Ixtapa, the food is right on the beach. I have a tip in my restaurants page for the Isla Ixtapa place to eat too.

Looks a little like Hanauma Bay?

• Zihuatanejo International Guitar Festival

by ZihrenaMex Written Sep 8, 2004

In April 2004 Zihuatanejo hosted the 1st International Guitar Festival with some wonderful music all around town for a full week, in venues ranging from prestigious beachfront restaurants and clubs to a number of smaller, fun, night time bars downtown. Music genres included classical, blues, Mexican ballads and country. If you're a music lover, it's a great way to experience this destination as well as help support the local Music School and other community projects that the Festival will be promoting. Check out what's happening this year for the Zihuatanejo International Guitar Fest and plan to be there!

Aerial View of Zihuatanejo Bay
    • Music
    • Festivals

• platypusak's Profile Photo

Gators

by platypusak Written Jul 3, 2004

We decided to see Ixtapa, right over the hill from Zihuatanejo, so hired a car and driver for a brief tour. He was wonderful and took us through Ixtapa, along the oceanfront and to the "end of the road" where there was a tream and grove full of small, medium and very large gators. I'd never seen so many in one place.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Zihuatanejo

Comments

Zihuatanejo Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Zihuatanejo things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zihuatanejo sightseeing.