Shopping, Puerto Vallarta

Know about this? Rate It!

Adolf the Silver Vendor
    by meeshelmybelle
  • monica71's Profile Photo

Use pesos for everything

by monica71 Updated Oct 2, 2009

Favorite thing: One of the first things you learn when visiting Mexico is that you can stretch your dollar even more if you pay everything in Mexican pesos instead of US dollars. Try to negotiate your hotel room price in pesos instead of US dollars.

Even when you buy stuff you will get a much better price if you negotiate everything in pesos instead of US dollars. In Puerto Vallarta there are plenty of places where you can exchange US dollars for Mexican pesos at a good rate, so go for it and don't even think twice about paying in US dollars.

• mazatlanfan's Profile Photo

Barter System still in place in PV

by mazatlanfan Updated Apr 20, 2005

Adolf the Silver Vendor

Favorite thing: The vendors on the beach in PV are usually the cheapest route to get your goods. They have lots of clothes etc.. Silver is cheap too...But they say it is not the best silver but I try to look it over and I have got some good stuff on the beach.. They sell t-shirts, blankets etc too. The more you buy at once the better deal you get... I went together with a lady I met at the resort I was at and we always got good deals!!! I

Fondest memory: The Beach is what I miss when I leave Mexico. The sound of the ocean waves, the smell of the salt water and the sand I miss it all!!!
    I miss the people I meet when I go and I always make more friends...The vendors are interesting and funny!!!! They will say anything to make a sale...

• Beaches
    • School Holidays

• meeshelmybelle's Profile Photo

Street Vendors

by meeshelmybelle Updated Nov 16, 2004

little turtle i just couldnt resist

Favorite thing: I would not recommend spending a lot of time at all the different shops as they almost all sell the same itmes. Their prices seemed to vary a little, but not too much. I think the nicest place to shop the vendors is under the bridge. It is next to a stream and there are large trees creating a canopy over the pathway. It is a relaxing stroll that you can take and shop at the same time.

Fondest memory: THis is not my fondest memory, i just want to point you in the right direction. The bridge is located about a block south of the city center square.

• meeshelmybelle's Profile Photo

Street Vendors

by meeshelmybelle Written Nov 16, 2004

Favorite thing: Downtown PV is definitly a tourist area. There are so many little booths and shops everywhere. I wouldnt recommend spening a lot of time at all the shops, as they mostly all have the same items. A pretty area to shop the vendors is under the bridge. There is a little stream next to it and the pathways is draped by trees.

• FishinSam's Profile Photo

Money Woes.

by FishinSam Written Feb 1, 2004

Favorite thing: I only take a small amount of cash ans travellers' cheques when I go to Mexico. I use only 1 credit card that's insured and quickly replaced if lost or stolen. Generally I carry this card with my passport in a waterproof pouch which I keep in my velcro pocket in my shorts. To avoid credit card surcharges I get extra cash from bank machines daily and use my credit card for most purchases. To exchange Canadian dollars to USD then the local exchange rate, I found that I lose too much in the exchange, where my credit card exchange the money from pesos to CDN much cheaper. When I get home I pay all my receipts immediately and avoid any additional interest or surcharges. The banks in Mexico are open more often than in my town so a little stroll down to the bank is worth the little effort required.

INTERNET and CALLING HOME

by Skye_Miles Updated Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: There are numerous internet cafes here in PV so you can stay in touch with friends-family at home. Cost is about 2USD for one hour or so. The original - and I think the best is the NetCafe located on Ignacio Vallarta in Old Town. Very popular place, good coffee and staff and open from around 7am til about 3am!

If you want to call home, best to buy one of the phone cards sold nearly everywhere! Follow instructions are the back of the card and talk til your time runs out which will be about 12 to 15 minutes. Absolutely STAY AWAY from the phones that say Call Home Collect using your credit cards! A huge scam and you will have gigantic charges on your card when you get home!

SHOPPING

by Skye_Miles Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: For your silver buys, I would highly recommend visiting Roberto. He has a small stand located in the small park in Los Muertos - a short distance down from Daquiri Dicks Restaurant and before Burros Bar. Roberto used to work on the beach and has become very popular with return visitors. He has quality silver and if he does not have what you are looking for, he will find it! He usually wears a big cowboy hat.

BEST BUYS

by Skye_Miles Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: You will be in shoppers heaven here! Best buys include leather products, blown glass, wood carvings, silver, gold, tequila, kahlua, pottery. to name a few.

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

Comments

View all Puerto Vallarta hotels