Festivals/Customs, Puerto Vallarta

Know about this? Rate It!

Up Up and away!
    by RoyJava
  • stevin's Profile Photo

Parasailing

by stevin Written Dec 30, 2007

I wish more people would include the "good" prices they negotiate!

I started at the top of the Malecon and worked my way down to the Romantic Zone. The prices were cheaper at the starting end, but I chose a company near the pier. We negotiated a price of 500 pesos (I detest when people give prices in US dollars ~ you are in MEXICO people!), but as I was being strapped in the guy told me he was going to give me a nice long ride (a big fat lie) if I 'took care' of his boys at the end. I wanted to feel extorted and cheated, which I was being, but chose to enjoy the experience instead. It was indeed FABULOUS. A not to be missed event. Next time I will be much more succinct and state I am paying this much, tip included.

• Adventure Travel
    • Water Sports

• Para sailing in PV Mexico

by vallartafan Written Feb 5, 2006

Up Up and away!

My family has traveled to PV for years. Like any Mexican resort areas, tourists can find locals offering para sail rides taking off from boats or the beach. On our last trip, my daughter who was 16, I felt was old enough to understand the instructions and strong enough to execute on the instructions went para sailing. Be sure to bring someone to the beach with you to take pictures with your camera. The anxiousness you feel ahead of time is replaced with the exilleration of the actual sailing, but the 5-10 minute trip is over before you know it and the photos will memorialize the experience for you. Check out prices - they are negotiable in some spots...depending on how business is. We went out mid morning and I think we got a better price because we were the first customer of the day and they want to someone up in the air so others will want to try it.

• Cruise

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Opening Event

by RoyJava Updated Jul 30, 2005

ceremony-puerto-vallarta-mexico

That was a wonderful experience! Going to Puerto Vallarta and, be a member of a festal event. With some "very important persons", yep... VIPs, and filmed by local television. A small group of people performed a ceremony which was held for a restaurant opening. Think of it that the local people are used to it and immediately joined the procession to the ocean. To throw away the flowers specially prepared for the festal event. Amazing how the Mexican kids participated and enjoyed themselves ...

• Festivals
    • Beaches

• Our Lady of Guadalupe Day

by FairOaks Updated Dec 19, 2004

Our Lady of Guadalupe day, December 12, is Mexico’s most important religious holiday. On this day people from all over Mexico travel to the chapel Tepayac Hill in Mexico City, where Mary the mother of Jesus appeared in the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe to an Indian peasant named Juan Diego in 1531. The Virgin of Guadalupe told Juan to go to the bishop and ask that a church be built on the hill so she could be close to her people. The bishop asked Juan to show proof of his vision such as a miracle performed by Mary. Juan Diego returned to Tepayac Hill and found roses growing where there had only been cacti. Mary's image was emblazened on his cloak which he showed to the bishop along with a basket of roses. The bishop was convinced and the chapel was built.

Parades and fiestas are held in Puerto Vallarta from December 1 through December 12 to honor Our Lady of Guadalupe. Throughout the day, people come to the church to pray. Many of them bring milagros (miracles) to place near the statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe. These small silver or tin objects are shaped like hearts, arms, or legs, and symbolize the giver’s thanks for a cure.

The parade starts about 8:00 pm and goes for about ten blocks along Juarez street before turning up to the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe. People line the street to watch the parade and participate in the festivities includiong traditional costumes, fireworks, feasts, concerts, and dances.

• Festivals

• richmalak's Profile Photo

Fiestas de Mayo

by richmalak Written Jul 8, 2003

Not really "off the beaten path" but also not in any lame-ass "travel guides".

"1-30 - Fiestas de Mayo, un evento tradicional, feria completa con juegos y atracciones, muestras de ganado, exhibiciones, comida, bebida y entretenimiento. Se realiza en a campo abierto en el barrio de Pitillal, al otro lado del terminal de Cruceros en el Puerto."

During May YOU MUST head to the festival grounds on north side of town, east of Sheraton, toward Pitillal. It is like a nice big carnival. Rides...the portable roller coaster is soooooo cool. Side shows...see el chupacabra, mutant cows in a jar, a man burried alive, and so on...too cool. The food is to die for. Major musical acts on main stage. Loud music everywhere, of course. Auctions. Of course you must get your fortune told by the birds. I mean this is cool...don't be a gringo...get to Fiestas de Mayo!

• mjd74's Profile Photo

Cock Fights

by mjd74 Written Jun 17, 2003

Description: A lot of people are not aware that PV offers a little more entertainment in terms of blood sports other than bull fights. In the town next to Vallarta called Pitillel they have cock fights every Sunday. The entry fee is $20 pesos and the feel of the venue is as if it were taken directly out of a movie.
    Directions: Right down the street from the Parka de Pitellel

• Casino and Gambling

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

Comments

View all Puerto Vallarta hotels