Local Places, Puerto Vallarta

Know about this? Rate It!

Agave plants field
    Me with an agave plant
  • dc.milo's Profile Photo

Sleepy Beach Town

by dc.milo Written Jan 26, 2005

About 40 Minutes to the north is a sleepy surf town called Salulita, I've been going there for over six years and while it has grown alot, it still contains the same small town charm.

Getting there:
    By Taxi: about $35

By Bus: It takes a little longer but it only costs $2.00 USD. Just head to the main street and look for the bus with salulita written on the left front window.

• Adventure Travel
    • Surfing

• taryn21's Profile Photo

Undiscovered beaches...

by taryn21 Updated Jan 21, 2005

I love finding a beach like this...quiet, untouched...all to myself!! I only saw one other person!! I don't remember exactly how to get to it though. When I was visiting in 2002, my aunt and uncle and I found it one day when we were just driving around exploring. If you drive south of Puerto Vallarta on the 200, for about an hour, you come to the town of El Tuito. We drove west out of the town, on little back roads for about another hour till we came to the ocean. Just the other day when I was checking out websites on the surrounding areas around Puerto Vallarta, I found a map and the name of the area where this beach is located. It's called Tehualmixtle. It is definitely worth checking out!! The link for the map is below.

Also near El Tuito, is the restaurant Altamira, which is great place to eat.

near Tehualmixtle

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Quimixto

by jamiesno Updated Oct 24, 2004

One of three remote beaches south of Puerto Vallarta that is accessible only by boat. Pangas or water taxis leave the mainland several times a day for this out-of-the-way shore. Quimixto is known for its quite waters framed by boulders perfect for scuba diving and snorkeling. There is also a refreshing waterfall to cool off in after a leisurely day of sun worshipping. Dining is available at beachside palapas.

Because Quimixto was like no other little village I had ever visited and was a very different reality from touristic Puerto Vallarta I built a total of four travelogues to show it off and let you explore around some more from you computer.

1. Quimixto Travelogue
    2. Next Stop Quimixto
    3. More of Quimixto
    4. Even more of Quimixto

Be sure to rate this tip and all my others. I love getting your ratings, comments and emails :-)

Waterfalls Near Quimixto
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

• taryn21's Profile Photo

Punta Mita Beach

by taryn21 Written Jun 22, 2004

This is a gorgeous beach located north of Nuevo Vallarta. Don't know exactly how many miles out of town it is, but it should say on a map. It is a very quiet beach, as the only road going down to it is extremely steep and rocky. Don't try it unless you have a 4X4 vehicle. There are some amazing seashells and rock cliffs here. So nice to have a beach to yourself!!

Punta Mita

• Chica_Mellie's Profile Photo

Tours

by Chica_Mellie Written Sep 8, 2003

Sierra Madres Tour- This tour is definelty one to do. It is throgh a company called Vallarta Adventures, Everyone meets at the V-Adventures building ( located in Marina Vallarta ) and they take everyone up to the Sierra Madre Mountains in Army trucks, on the way to the mountains you see different little towns ( which you also stop in ) as well as you learn many interesting things along the way. once you are in the mountains you all go for a hike ( Make sure to wear socks and running shoes) Dont wear Sandals!!! Bring llots of bug spray as well. After the Hike, everyone is taken to a private Beach where they have a BBQ for everyone. This is a whole day trip....well worth it.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

I think most typical tourists...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

I think most typical tourists visiting Mexico miss seeing the 'real' Mexico - ie: the part of town where Mexicans live their life - the normal 'everyday' neighbourhoods. Sometimes tourists don't realise there's an authentic face to each city that isn't overrun with hotels and t-shirt shops.
    Photo: Here's a typical street in Puerto Vallarta with the buildings carving their way into the mountainous rainforest.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Marina Vallarta - whether...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Marina Vallarta - whether people realise it or not, when they arrive in Puerto Vallarta by plane, they're really in Marina Vallarta. Puerto Vallarta is still a 10 minute drive south. Marina Vallarta's a great little town - it has a beautiful beach, a golf course, a shopping mall, and a beautiful waterfront marina full of excellent restaurants. It's also very modern.
    Photo: Marina Vallarta's waterfront

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Bring plastic bags and umbrellas!

by joiwatani Written Aug 10, 2012

I definitely brought some plastic bags for me because every afternoon except for one day, it rained in Puerto Vallarta!

The plastic bags are great for covering my camera and my purse.

We bought two umbrellas at the Centro Soaking wet It rained the whole afternoon on our second day
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

'Real' Mexico jumps out at any...

by lar-n-me Updated Aug 24, 2002

'Real' Mexico jumps out at any given time. It's amazing the short distance between luxury, poverty and sadness.

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

Comments

View all Puerto Vallarta hotels